Thread: Cigar Lounge in Atlanta

Post Likes

Cigar Lounge in Atlanta

I am looking for help designing and installing a air handling\ventilation\heating\air system for a 25'x25' cigar room\lounge.

My goal is to exchange the air every 2-5 minutes. From doing a good bit of online research as well as visiting many cigar bars\lounges (it is tough work but someone needs to do it), I am focused on a laminar air flow system. I saw one in switzerland called Airkel, but they don't have any US operations.

I would greatly appreciate any advice, suggestions and referrals for a company that could help with this. I am in the process of designing this new construction room with an architect and would like to add an HVAC expert to the team in this design phase.

Thanks in advance for your help. If you need any additional info, please let me know.

ATL Cigar

Post Likes
    Hire an PE Engineer

Post Likes
    Try contacting Munters. They specialize in this kind of stuff.

Post Likes
    What you need is a system that does NOT recirculate any air...
    That means 100% fresh air into the heat/AC unit, then into the space.

This will require you determine the BTU load both in the summer and winter...
    Then size the equipment accordingly.

I can tell you up front... it is gonna be 4-5 times the size of equipment for the same space if the smoke was not there.

This is outside my expertise... I cannot do it for you.

Good luck with it...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Gonna need about a 100,000 BTU input for heat, probably 5 tons of A/C, maybe 6.5 tons, depending how cool you really want it. Thats at roughly 12 air changes per hour.

Post Likes
    https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/816556

http://www.dwojo.com/TECHNICAL%20BULLETINS/No17.pdf

Depressurizing the space is critical. Focus on exhausting more air than you are providing. If there are open doors to a large space like an air port,
    The next most important area is dehumidifying and humidifying the make-up air.

Should be exciting!
    There must be others that have done this.
    I say a PE with cigar room experience!

An air change is 5 mins. is 1,300 cfm. At the extremes of outside air conditions in Atlanta, to provide 70^F, 50%RH will be impressive. The lounge chairs will need seat belts.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    This reminds me of the makeup air in a restaurant here in Charlotte... there are 12 ovens in the kitchen, and a long bank of exhaust hoods...

The makeup air has... 20, twenty 5Ton condensers feeding it...
    it looks like a space station on that roof...

Oh... and it’s STILL 105 in the kitchen... but the hood exhaust is usually around 60... ugh... architects...
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    This reminds me of the makeup air in a restaurant here in Charlotte... there are 12 ovens in the kitchen, and a long bank of exhaust hoods...

The makeup air has... 20, twenty 5Ton condensers feeding it...
    it looks like a space station on that roof...

Oh... and it’s STILL 105 in the kitchen... but the hood exhaust is usually around 60... ugh... architects...
    There must be something wrong.....My electric bills are INSANE!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Thanks for the advice... I am reaching out to a number of HVAC and PE companies. So far I have not found anyone confident in this area. I will keep the group posted. My next call is to Munters...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in