+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any fundamental difference between geothermal and closed loop water cooled condenser?

Post Likes

Any fundamental difference between geothermal and closed loop water cooled condenser?

Hi, I've been scratching my header the past few hours trying to figure out why you need to spend thousands of dollars to replace a traditional hvac system with a geothermal one? It seems like fundamentally, all that is changing is that the condenser is now a liquid-liquid hx rather than liquid-air and that maybe a normal ac compressor isn't designed to be run in reverse i.e. the heat is usually supplied via lng or electrical. Otherwise the only other difference I've come across so far is that the geothermal units are packaged together whereas a traditional hvac system is broken up into the evaporator and condenser/compressor.

Post Likes
    Well, if you lived in a very hot environment it just might be a big energy savings to use 55°- 65°F ground water vs 100°F air temperature to cool your refrigerant.
    Also the compressors do not run in reverse. The refrigerant flow does.

Post Likes
    I live in palmdale, CA so even in the winter it's getting up to 60-70 during the day, so odds are I'd never see any benefit with changing the heating side. So if we only focus on the cooling side, it seems like it should be pretty straightforward from an installation point of view... Just bypass the a/a hx with an wahx. Otherwise it's just a lot of digging.

That's a good point in the flow reversal. I've never really gone past the extremely abstracted refrigeration cycle. Makes me think that you could add in a reversal valve relatively easily...does a full geothermal add much functionality beyond this? I'm tempted to make a mini version to cool my garage in the summer... Probably wouldn't be too hard to plumb in another mini heat exchanger into the water heater inlet...

Post Likes
    The advantage of the closed loop is the water savings. Is your water free ?

Post Likes
    The water is relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things, but it seemed like running tap water came with its own issues with corrosion and sediment. There was something like 1-4 gph/ton of cooling so an open system might use like 100 gallons a day? I could collect the water and use it for irrigation, and that would greatly reduce the labor. I think the most logical implementation would be to dump the waste water to the water heater with a bypass/overflow into the garden... Assuming it doesn't get too hot.

Post Likes
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    I suppose this is basically the same thing. The only thing I'm wondering about is if the water loop is being kept at the system pressure (40-60 psig), then when the tank is full, you won't really get any flow through the heat exchanger, unless the drain valve opens when the ac is on or when there isn't enough flow?

Post Likes
    I found my mistake... It's gpm not gph which changes things drastically. The other thing is that reducing the flow to get more temperature rise appears to defeat the purpose of reducing compressor load. It's seeming like maybe closed loop makes more sense?

I also saw something about how buildings were making ice at night and using that to run the chillers during the day. That might be interesting...

Post Likes
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Laws generally prohibit 'wasting' the 'geothermal' water in any way. It usually has to be returned to where you got it - via a separated same-depth well.

PHM
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by Engr010 View Post
    The water is relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things, but it seemed like running tap water came with its own issues with corrosion and sediment. There was something like 1-4 gph/ton of cooling so an open system might use like 100 gallons a day? I could collect the water and use it for irrigation, and that would greatly reduce the labor. I think the most logical implementation would be to dump the waste water to the water heater with a bypass/overflow into the garden... Assuming it doesn't get too hot.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    It reminds me a of a crazy idea I had to invent a mini split pool heater. I just always found it annoying that a house would have one unit heating the pool while a separate unit cools the house.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by a4372302 View Post
    It reminds me a of a crazy idea I had to invent a mini split pool heater. I just always found it annoying that a house would have one unit heating the pool while a separate unit cools the house.
    One of the guys on the forum... a few years ago...

Designed and built something similar to this... last I heard... it worked just fine!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Engr010 View Post
    I found my mistake... It's gpm not gph which changes things drastically. The other thing is that reducing the flow to get more temperature rise appears to defeat the purpose of reducing compressor load. It's seeming like maybe closed loop makes more sense?

I also saw something about how buildings were making ice at night and using that to run the chillers during the day. That might be interesting...
    It's called a ice bank. Run a chiller all night making ice then let the ice chill the water to cool a building. The savings are in the demand charge from the electric company. Go back 60-70 years churches use to be cooled by ice bank. Take a 1/2 hp freezer unit freeze water for 3+ days blow air over the ice cool the church for Sunday service.

Post Likes
    It is helpful information

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Can you explain how it is helpful to you?

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by evaamart View Post
    It is helpful information
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in