+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What kind of condenser pad do you use and why?

Post Likes

What kind of condenser pad do you use and why?

Wondering what people prefer. I have seen two, plastic and styrofoam/sprayed with cement. I have only been using the styrofoam ones but want to hear thoughts on both?

Thanks!

Post Likes
    Real poured concrete or whatever A/C package includes from the supply house

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I prefer plastic over foam. The foam ones never seem to have a level surface and the unit always seems to have a wobble.

Post Likes
    Also I’m not a small guy and I’ve cracked one or two foam pads while “persuading” the corner to be more level.

Post Likes
    2" Diversitech stucco type pads, just like the way they look over the smooth plastic ones.

Post Likes
    Usually pour a cement pad.

Post Likes
    Usually go with the plastic pads. Lighter and easier to level than the covered foam pads. And much lighter less likely to crack or break than the premade concrete pads. Now if the house has a concrete pad that has been poured in place I always reuse them unless they are way too small. Looks nicer.

Post Likes
    Forgot to mention if existing concrete prefab pad is in place, many sink ( my area anyway ) over time, we just throw a Diversitech or equivalent on top, after releveling even if existing sunken pad is smaller...

Post Likes
    They do that here too. And I'll do the same. Easier than digging them up.

Post Likes
    Our area has a local guy who makes concrete pads. He knows his stuff, don't crack, hollowed out bottom, etc. Some will argue, But in my opinion the plastic or styro pads just make the job look cheap compared to the solid concrete. Just my opinion.

Post Likes
    I like either the 2" or 3" plastic, however I have found where they seem to "settle" (sink into the ground) over time, which I don't like. If I am in a situation where it looks like the ground is loose I will make a metal bottom for it to keep the dirt from pushing up into the hollows. I figure by the time the metal rusts out and settling becomes a problem it will be time to replace the unit anyway.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by clifpaul View Post
    Usually go with the plastic pads. Lighter and easier to level than the covered foam pads. And much lighter less likely to crack or break than the premade concrete pads. Now if the house has a concrete pad that has been poured in place I always reuse them unless they are way too small. Looks nicer.
    Have to disagree there unless you have a pad that is built different than the plastic ones I have been getting. I've found it easier to level a pad with a solid bottom over that honeycomb base. We used to use precast concrete years ago. I'm not even sure the place we bought them sells em anymore. Even bought some long ago that were like 36x60 for those gas chillers! YIKES!

Post Likes
    We have to use the hurricane pads and straps here. Company i worked for use to line the ground with pond pebbles and put down a plastic pad. Its far too common around here to see units with no pads though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    A shovel and the occasional bag of gravel have come in awful handy a number of occasions. So does a pick mattocks. Most of the units we replace are still fairly level, it's just the old pad is either too small or in too bad a shape.

Post Likes
    Seen OD units attached to the non damaged shipping pallets used as the pad...I think their thinking was full speed ahead damn the torpedos.....just saying

Post Likes
    I like to put down a 4x4 treated frame, a scouch bigger than the pad. Lag the corners to hold it together, fill it with pea gravel, and put down a plastic pad. Easy to level the pad on the usual unlevel ground, and keeps the weed wacker away from my work!

Post Likes
    We mount all our units to the foundation using brackets. The unit will never become unlevel.

Post Likes
    I hate brackets. I have seen too many where you need a ladder to change the fan motor, don't even want to talk about compressors. And most of them end up with the unit to close to the wall for proper service. Not picking on anyone just my opinion.

Post Likes
    All our units are mounted 16in or less off ground, and 12in from a wall. compressors are a pain but everything else is really nice to work on.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in