+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kitchen heat recovery for the purpose of DHW (pre-)heating

Post Likes

Kitchen heat recovery for the purpose of DHW (pre-)heating

Hello HVAC community,

I am looking for reliable and hassle free heat recovery system for commercial kitchens.

I would like to use for the purpose of (pre-)heating hot water.

All solutions that I found so far get clogged up with grease relatively quickly and had to be remover shortly after installations.

I wonder whether you have heard / have experience with any heat recovery system that works properly in the kitchen environment?

Kind regards

dolph82

Post Likes
    Look up PowerPipe. I believe they sell it a Home Depot. Only issue I could see with this is the pressure drop thru the heat exchanger.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I don't see any solution that won't clog up that would transfer any meaningful percentage of heat to get a payback. Plus a lot of the energy is latent heat, so you'll have a condensation and frost issue as well.

Honestly, if you have the newer style hoods with makeup air at the point of exhaust, you mostly eliminate the preheat requirement for the makeup air.

Post Likes
    How many walk in coolers and freezers do you have? We can install a small refrigeration rack with heat reclaim.

Kidding.....a little cost prohibitive.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I don't see any solution that won't clog up that would transfer any meaningful percentage of heat to get a payback. Plus a lot of the energy is latent heat, so you'll have a condensation and frost issue as well.

Honestly, if you have the newer style hoods with makeup air at the point of exhaust, you mostly eliminate the preheat requirement for the makeup air.
    Here is a guy from the past with a new address. Going after the kitchen heat is tough. There is a lot of grease involved.
    The heat from your coolers and freezers is much hotter and may heat most of your water.
    There are used by many.
    https://www.thermastor.com/heat-recovery-water-heaters/
    How did that attic in Iowa turn out?
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    I ended up moving to Michigan. Bought 2 homes there. Replaced 1 AC and furnace and downsized it in half. Super comfortable now. Then moved back 2 blocks away from my previous house. Now I have a 1 pipe steam vapor system that I’ve got purring like a kitten at <0.5oz with 2 heat pumps systems added for central air and shoulder season. It’s a 1905 3300sqft brick victorian. Full basement with cut stone foundation. Original windows. Full unfinished attic with 13’ ceilings in the middle.

Have another unvented attic. Try something different that I’ll have to detail at a later time.

Big news is I’m seriously looking at finally becoming a service tech. More on that later.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post
    Look up PowerPipe. I believe they sell it a Home Depot. Only issue I could see with this is the pressure drop thru the heat exchanger.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
    Do they have Home Depot in London?
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...174,num:4,cs:1
    And there are different sizes. Problem i see is the contact of the drain water and the time of contact running through and total surface area being touched. Piping it in a trap configuration might create drain problems with the drain system.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in