Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this acceptable boiler/liner work???

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    Sparky05, just to clarify, barometric dampers can only reduce draft, to maintain a consistent draft over the fire. They can never increase it.

To the OP, the horizontal run is also going to work against you. Is it at least pitched?

Hopefully Hearthman can chime in with some expert (code) advice.
    Yes, it is slightly pitched, about 10 degrees or less.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WreckItDan View Post
    Hello everyone! Glad I stumbled upon this message board, you all seem extremely knowledgeable. Appreciate any advice you have for me...

So we've been having boiler issues for the past two weeks. We had a damper and a couple of other things replaced, but before the technician (an HVAC/plumbing guy) finished the job he mentioned I needed a new liner for the boiler flue. He put an open flame in front of the flue and it was blowing out instead of being sucked in.
    Not a valid draft test method

So we agreed to getting it replaced. The boiler is far from chimney and the flue/liner has a bit of a bend to it, so he told us he had to bust open a wall to properly install the liner.
    All of us agree that his installation is NOT proper.

They're almost done with the job and just have to "put back the wall" but the job looks really awful to me. Attached are pictures, should I accept this kind of work? And is this the right kind of liner for this application? They said they would patch up the hole in the liner with cement...this isn't acceptable is it? Appreciate any feedback you have, thanks.
    It is a shame this guy wants to cut so many corners. There are too many mistakes for it to turn out right.

Use the site member locator in my sig or go to https://www.myhomecomfort.org/ to find someone with combustion analysis training.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    It is a shame this guy wants to cut so many corners. There are too many mistakes for it to turn out right.

Use the site member locator in my sig or go to https://www.myhomecomfort.org/ to find someone with combustion analysis training.
    Appreciate the advice, I'm def going to find another contractor to finish the job since I don't think it'll ever come out right with these guys...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    Sparky05, just to clarify, barometric dampers can only reduce draft, to maintain a consistent draft over the fire. They can never increase it.

To the OP, the horizontal run is also going to work against you. Is it at least pitched?

Hopefully Hearthman can chime in with some expert (code) advice.
    I know that draft dampeners reduce draft, not increase it, if you read my post again I said that it controls the draft not increases it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    RSES Member.
    Mainstream Engineering Certified.
    HVAC/R PM Technician.
    410A, & GREEN HVAC/R Technician.
    Indoor Air Quality Master Technician.
    NATE Core.
    Working not as to please men but to the Glory of Christ my KING.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in