+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to HVAC, offered a controls position with 2 different companies

Post Likes

New to HVAC, offered a controls position with 2 different companies

I have a dozen years of experience working on controls with a large corporation, just not in the HVAC field. I want to switch careers and get into this field and work on the commercial side. I was offered positions with two companies. One small and one very large global company. Both as a controls tech, both of them aware I have no experience in hvac. I am unsure which environment would be best to gain knowledge and build a future with.

The small company was really cool. I met the high-ups and they were very pleasant to talk to. I could go out and have a beer with them I feel like. They are a commercial contractor and do only commercial service, installs, and retrofits. They’ve had guys working there since the 80s and 90s and they are well respected in the area and even parts of the US.

The large company I’m sure everybody knows. I would be an hvac controls tech. From my experience with global corporations, you have good benefits and nice work trucks, but if you want to learn something new, you have to switch departments. Maybe even relocate.

I want to learn every part of the trade. I feel like the small company would be better for me. I want to eventually learn the programming side and be able to do anything thrown at me. The programmers work out of the same building as the controls techs do.

What do you guys think? I don’t know how the industry operates very well so I would like some insight on which path sounds like a fit for me.

Post Likes
    Smaller company will probably have better learning opportunities. As far as learning the rest of the trade.

Post Likes
    Aero, do I know the large company?
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joey791 View Post
    Aero, do I know the large company?
    Johnson Controls

Post Likes
    The place I set you up with didn't give you a shot?
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Post Likes
    No, I applied but they never got back to me. It was probably my resume. I had to revise it a bit and add more detail which gave me much more call backs.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in