+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wire size.

Post Likes

Wire size.

There is a need to run copper wires for electric heater. The heater will be three phase, 208 V 37 A.
    Can #8 gauge be used or the distance of 150 feet to the breaker panel would require #6 gauge?

Post Likes
    My immediate response is to go #6, but, ...... That is without doing any Calculations sigma.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes

wire size

Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post
    There is a need to run copper wires for electric heater. The heater will be three phase, 208 V 37 A.
    Can #8 gauge be used or the distance of 150 feet to the breaker panel would require #6 gauge?
    1.73 x 208 = 359.84

359 x 37 = 13,283 watts

# 6 for sure

Post Likes
    Thanks for the help buddy. Even I was looking for help.

Post Likes
    Wire type (Temp. Rating) and ambient temperature are important as well as the length.
    It's an upside down world we live in.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by David Goodman View Post
    Wire type (Temp. Rating) and ambient temperature are important as well as the length.
    Indeed David.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    1.73 .. ?

Post Likes
    you have about 130W loss on 37A with 150ft #8 wire (if 3 phase then per phase), imo far too much

Post Likes
    Its own conduit or in an already populated conduit? Gotta consider fill too.

Post Likes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    Here, I got a good one for you . . .

A buddy, also in our trade, increased his 100 A single phase service to his house up to a 200 A service.

The utility company installed 8 gauge wire. He called and complained to the code enforcement officials. After it was all said and done, yes, you can run 200 amps on 8 gauge wire that is in open air. At least according to that utility company. Code enforcement officer was satisfied with the utilities companies 'report'.

My friend wanted to be able to use an electric welder without dimming the lights. His wife hated that. There was probably still some dimming, but the wifey was happy, and last I heard, no problem with the small gauge of wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    Its own conduit or in an already populated conduit? Gotta consider fill too.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post

A buddy, also in our trade, increased his 100 A single phase service to his house up to a 200 A service.

The utility company installed 8 gauge wire.
    in that case the utility company pays for the losses on the line... as it is before the meter (well at some point they will push these costs onto all customers as increased kwh price), however in the second case the home owner pays for the losses on the cables that are after the meter - so yes size matters

Post Likes

The utility company installed 8 gauge wire. He called and complained to the code enforcement officials. After it was all said and done, yes, you can run 200 amps on 8 gauge wire that is in open air. At least according to that utility company. Code enforcement officer was satisfied with the utilities companies 'report'.

My friend wanted to be able to use an electric welder without dimming the lights. His wife hated that. There was probably still some dimming, but the wifey was happy, and last I heard, no problem with the small gauge of wire.

I installed a 200A Underground service for a Modular, & South Central Power was the Utility (No Inspections required other than their Own.), .... They provided the URD for the Service, & started throwing #2 in the trench, & I asked the foreman, "What th' Hale R U Doing?". This Yahoo told me that "it'll be fine,... No Big Deal.", & I told him that I had an Inspector coming from Clermont County,& that I wanted 4/0 URD in the trench.

This guy began complaining about having to drive all the way back to Hillsboro & getting the wire, so, ... I called the Inspector, & he got on the phone with this Yahoo, & told him, that he wasn't allowed to use #2 URD on a 200A install.

Needless to say, the Yahoo *****ed about it, but he went & got the 4/0 Al, ... And the Inspection passed.

How your buddy got by with #8 Tri-plex baffles me BBeerme.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavhorna View Post
    in that case the utility company pays for the losses on the line... as it is before the meter (well at some point they will push these costs onto all customers as increased kwh price), however in the second case the home owner pays for the losses on the cables that are after the meter - so yes size matters

I Agree Gust.

But more Importantly, ..... The "Strut" is Extremely Important, & BBeerme can fill you in about that.

YEAH!!!! Ah! Ah! Ah!Ah!,... Stayin' Alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Keep in mind, since it was from the pole to the service panel, the utility company installed it.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post

I installed a 200A Underground service for a Modular, & South Central Power was the Utility (No Inspections required other than their Own.), .... They provided the URD for the Service, & started throwing #2 in the trench, & I asked the foreman, "What th' Hale R U Doing?". This Yahoo told me that "it'll be fine,... No Big Deal.", & I told him that I had an Inspector coming from Clermont County,& that I wanted 4/0 URD in the trench.

This guy began complaining about having to drive all the way back to Hillsboro & getting the wire, so, ... I called the Inspector, & he got on the phone with this Yahoo, & told him, that he wasn't allowed to use #2 URD on a 200A install.

Needless to say, the Yahoo *****ed about it, but he went & got the 4/0 Al, ... And the Inspection passed.

How your buddy got by with #8 Tri-plex baffles me BBeerme.

Post Likes
    Keep in mind, since it was from the pole to the service panel, the utility company installed it.
    I understand, but, .... Per Annex B, Page 70-701, Table B.310.15B(2)(3) of the 2017 NEC

#8 Copper's high rating is only 59 Amps at 194 degrees F., & if it's Al., then it's lower.

In my "Humble Opinion" , ... The "Utility" Fubared the situation.

Post Likes
    I don't know the code, but I do know you need to find the table that rates wire size for open air conditions. If I'm not mistaken, my buddy did find that table, and was quite surprised how much current a wire can carry when it can freely dissipate the heat.

I understand, but, .... Per Annex B, Page 70-701, Table B.310.15B(2)(3) of the 2017 NEC

#8 Copper's high rating is only 59 Amps at 194 degrees F., & if it's Al., then it's lower.

Post Likes
    I don't know the code, but I do know you need to find the table that rates wire size for open air conditions. If I'm not mistaken, my buddy did find that table, and was quite surprised how much current a wire can carry when it can freely dissipate the heat.
    What I quoted, unless I'm severely mistaken is for "Open Air", ... Can you get the Reference from your Buddy, for me, BBeerme?

Post Likes
    No, he's long gone. Retired to Hawaii, haven't heard from him since.

Keep in mind, it was probably a real short run as well. And he never had a problem with it.

Kinda makes you wonder if the wire was even insulated.

What I quoted, unless I'm severely mistaken is for "Open Air", ... Can you get the Reference from your Buddy, for me, BBeerme?

Post Likes

I believe the utility company isn't bound by the NEC, and can (and do) run their conductors as hot as they care to.

That being said, I am surprised #8 was chosen and even more surprised that a welder was run off of it. :Grin:

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in