Thread: Clearance between minisplit and bookcase

Post Likes

Clearance between minisplit and bookcase

I am going to put a bookcase against the wall under a Mitsubishi wall-mounted minisplit inside unit. I can find in the manual the required clearance between the unit and the ceiling, but what about clearance under the unit? Thanks for any help.

Post Likes
    Will this be a built in bookcase or just one set in place capable of being moved?
    "If common sense was so common, everyone would have it."

Post Likes
    It wil be built-in.

Post Likes
    I wouldn't advise it unless the unit is substantially high above the bookcase, high enough for easy access if maintenance is required. Maintenance on a mini split can be difficult enough with no obstacles below the unit, adding a built in bookcase may very well make it impossible. How high above the floor is the unit mounted?

Post Likes
    The bottom of the unit is 6' 8" above the floor, which is as high as it could go while still allowing the required 4" between the top of the unit and the ceiling.

Post Likes
    If the connections were made behind the unit and something were to go wrong with the unit requiring access to those connections, a built in cabinet even 2' below would make repairs extremely difficult. If the unit requires cleaning in the future this could also complicate things. See pictures below. If you choose to do so just be prepared for the possible outcome of a tech telling you they can't perform the necessary work if something were to go wrong. While the unit should last a long time and hopefully not need repairs, eventually something will need done. They also do not have an infinite lifespan and will need replaced some. Just keep these factors in mind when making your decision.

These pictures are for some visual aid to why obstruction below the unit makes service, repair, and replacement so difficult. A tech would have to possibly cut, flare, connect and torque refrigerant lines behind the unit while working between the two yellow brackets if the unit needed removed or replaced for any reason. The mighty bracket is a pretty standard tool used for installation. The second picture is an example of the many cleaning kits used to prevent water damage to walls and floors. The picture isn't really to scale but they usually consist of a large plastic funnel and need a bit of height to use properly.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    If you build a bookcase under the mini split, be ready for your contractor to curse you out the first time in needs serviced.

Post Likes
    Simple solution is to build something that can be moved if need be, which in the future it will need to be so maintenance on the head can be done.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Many thanks to all who replied. I'm glad I asked. I was thinking only about air flow. The maintenance issue never entered my mind. I'll put the bookcase someplace else.

Post Likes
    You can hang the bookcase on Cabinet Cleats so its removable when needed!