+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just how dangerous is my homemade compressor blanket?

Post Likes

Just how dangerous is my homemade compressor blanket?

Pictures say it all. Its a frigidaire 10000 btu casement window shaker for my 400 sq ft garage. The condensor is so incredibly loud that my neighbor would definately report it to the HOA.i would if i was him..

My solution, cut strips of fiberglass batt insulation to wrap around it and hold it it all together with some fire proof army issued ballistic kevlar inserts with velcrow to tighten it all up. It is entirely silent. All that is here now is the fan.

After an hour had passed with no smells or changed in sound or performance, the erie silence prompted me to turn off the unit, watch it for about 20 minutes to ensure nothing caught fire and consult the forum.

Well, let the roast begin. How bad of an idea was this and if i need to not run the unit any further, are there any safer suggestions? Thanks in advanced.

Post Likes
    How do i upload photos?

Post Likes
    I believe you have to have something like seven posts for pictures.
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Oh! I missed the word 'blanket'. I was really curious to see your homemade compressor.

1. Can you still hear the fan running inside the garage?
    2. Is the unit still cooling well?
    3. Why did you choose a casement-type for a garage?
    4. Is there a lot of warm air coming out of the unit outside?
    5. Is you neighbor deaf?

Hint: answer each of these questions in a separate post.

PHM
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Poteet View Post
    Pictures say it all. Its a frigidaire 10000 btu casement window shaker for my 400 sq ft garage. The condensor is so incredibly loud that my neighbor would definately report it to the HOA.i would if i was him..

My solution, cut strips of fiberglass batt insulation to wrap around it and hold it it all together with some fire proof army issued ballistic kevlar inserts with velcrow to tighten it all up. It is entirely silent. All that is here now is the fan.

After an hour had passed with no smells or changed in sound or performance, the erie silence prompted me to turn off the unit, watch it for about 20 minutes to ensure nothing caught fire and consult the forum.

Well, let the roast begin. How bad of an idea was this and if i need to not run the unit any further, are there any safer suggestions? Thanks in advanced.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

5. Likes Turtleman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yes i can here the sound of a fan in the garage like a normal window ac

Post Likes
    It cools incredibly well

Post Likes
    I chose the casement one because at 14 1/2 inches wide so it fit between the wall studs.... and got it for 100 buckes since it had a cracked grill from beimg stacked below another one by a wal mart employee.

Post Likes
    The back side seems to be blowing a substantial amount of hot air, i dont know what normal is on that one.

Post Likes
    Neighbor is not deaf unfortunately.

Post Likes
    The thing no shit sounds like a high powered fan now... on both sides of the wall. It just seems too good. The kevlar ballistic inserts i had laying around are rated for up to 9mm and about a quarter inch thick. Im more converned about the fiber glas

Post Likes
    still cant post attachments wtf

Post Likes
    Maybe it's 10 posts. I want to see this, keep going.
    "If common sense was so common, everyone would have it."

Post Likes

Post Likes

Post Likes

Post Likes

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes
    Fiberglass insulation is good to at least 850º and Kevlar to at least 500º - so you're safe in that regard. It was the possible blocking of air flow that was concerning me.

PHM
    ----------

The thing no shit sounds like a high powered fan now... on both sides of the wall. It just seems too good. The kevlar ballistic inserts i had laying around are rated for up to 9mm and about a quarter inch thick. Im more converned about the fiber glas
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the pics. That is totally fine I would say. The compressor is gas-cooled - not air cooled.

Good job!
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Good to know! Thanks! Well comparing what it looks like with and without it it does add a substantial amount of mass within the unit. Think its enough to cause problems? Fire specifically? The only non fireproof portion is the velcro wrapped around it out side.

Post Likes
    If the compressor ever got to 300º - it would be toast. You materials are good for about twice that - so a fire isn't going to happen.

PHM
    -------

Good to know! Thanks! Well comparing what it looks like with and without it it does add a substantial amount of mass within the unit. Think its enough to cause problems? Fire specifically? The only non fireproof portion is the velcro wrapped around it out side.
    PHM
    --------

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in