Thread: Handling another company when they confront you about a job they misquoted

Post Likes

Handling another company when they confront you about a job they misquoted

Recently went out in an ice maker, unit was low so I added leak detector dye and about 8 ounces of refrigerant, allowed unit to run and explained to the customer what I did and was going to let it run for a couple of days and that it had started making ice. In the meantime, the original company shows up on another job and starts asking me questions about the ice machine job and proceeds to tell me how to properly check the unit and throws out a few wrong ways to do the diagnosis. The whole time, I'm looking at him like, O.o and he is starting to repeat himself, like he is trying to convince someone of something. I finally just said, " well you sound like you know how to properly diagnos that and left his vicinity, yes, he did follow, still explaining, so I finally found a lead into a change of conversation, got him laughing and walked to my truck, since I was done with that call and told him good luck as I cranked up and drove away, he then had that, O.o look on his face and I kinda laughed at this point. Anyway, I'm just wondering what the rest of you would do, yell at him punch him in the face, or just pretend you don't know anything about it. This guy is probably afraid I'm trying to grab up his work, but like I told him and the stores he dies work for, I'm really busy and can't really take much more work on, at the same time, I don't want to loose work either and experienced and qualified people are hard to find around here, but that's another thread for another day.

Post Likes
    Since you found the Unit "Low on Freon", ... Did you Find & Repair the Leak?
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    I dont get involved with other contractors unless they are pertinent to my job (such as on a renovation). I t ell them to go deal with the person who called them. If they become more aggressive, well...that's to be determined at the time of the incident.

4. Likes DavidDeBord, lexscripta liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Dye, shows it's in the evaporator section, it's a flaker (Sonic ice) advised to replace due to the way they are made, once you remove the foam insulation from around the evaporator section, they never make ice correctly again, and that's only if you can even fix the leak. You usually just make it worse then they get mad at you. The other tech said there was nothing wrong with it, but he charged them for 5 lbs of 404A. There's an obvious leak, the dye was to find where

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RMSG01 View Post
    Dye, shows it's in the evaporator section, it's a flaker (Sonic ice) advised to replace due to the way they are made, once you remove the foam insulation from around the evaporator section, they never make ice correctly again, and that's only if you can even fix the leak. You usually just make it worse then they get mad at you. The other tech said there was nothing wrong with it, but he charged them for 5 lbs of 404A. There's an obvious leak, the dye was to find where
    Did You Advise the Customer of all this via the Invoice, or verbally?
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Always do both

8. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post
    Did You Advise the Customer of all this via the Invoice, or verbally?
    We even take pictures or data logger info, as well as document and verbal

10. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    How did he know it was you that fixed it in the first place? I would just say..."Wasn't me", and move on.
    Depends on the guy talking to me. It can remain friendly, if he keeps it that way, but at some point I'm probably gonna say, "Hey hack, I mean Jack. Don't worry about it. I ended up fixing it. Would you like to buy me lunch and I'll explain how? I'm not looking for a fight (I should tell my mouth), but it doesn't take much to get me going on a 90°+/high humidity day.
    In general, I'm cordial, but I usually don't talk to anyone, unless it benefits me or the customer who's place I'm working. I'm in and out of the supply house fast. Don't really care about anyone's 'war stories'.

I just saw on cable last night Good Will Hunting. You could've walked back to his truck, and right on the glass..."Do you like apples? Here's the paid invoice for the properly fixed job. How do you like them apples?"
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

12. Likes DavidDeBord, Metalman0880 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Or you could just punch him in his maw and move on

14. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I took on a small store remodel one time, spiral ductwork. Some guy enters thru the back while I'm there, on a lift, alone on a Saturday and says he bid on the job too. He begins to offer unsolicited advise on why spiral is inferior, how the occupants would never be comfortable with my design, blah, blah, blah. I told him "Beat it, I'm too busy to explain my project to every gay guy that pops his head thru the door".

Get this, he left without having the decency to tell me to have a nice day. I thought that was a little unfriendly of him.

16. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
    I took on a small store remodel one time, spiral ductwork. Some guy enters thru the back while I'm there, on a lift, alone on a Saturday and says he bid on the job too. He begins to offer unsolicited advise on why spiral is inferior, how the occupants would never be comfortable with my design, blah, blah, blah. I told him "Beat it, I'm too busy to explain my project to every gay guy that pops his head thru the door".

Get this, he left without having the decency to tell me to have a nice day. I thought that was a little unfriendly of him.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by btuhack View Post

What did you expect from a guy like that. That's what this guy basically did, as I was pulling away, he didn't even tell me to have a good day either...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    How did he know it was you that fixed it in the first place? I would just say..."Wasn't me", and move on.
    Depends on the guy talking to me. It can remain friendly, if he keeps it that way, but at some point I'm probably gonna say, "Hey hack, I mean Jack. Don't worry about it. I ended up fixing it. Would you like to buy me lunch and I'll explain how? I'm not looking for a fight (I should tell my mouth), but it doesn't take much to get me going on a 90°+/high humidity day.
    In general, I'm cordial, but I usually don't talk to anyone, unless it benefits me or the customer who's place I'm working. I'm in and out of the supply house fast. Don't really care about anyone's 'war stories'.

I just saw on cable last night Good Will Hunting. You could've walked back to his truck, and right on the glass..."Do you like apples? Here's the paid invoice for the properly fixed job. How do you like them apples?"
    He walked in and seen me working on it, and talked to me then, it was after I gave my diagnosis, and I'm still wondering if he drove around looking for me, or just happened to see me. I've heard he is a good service tech, but he is trying to get into refrigeration and is lost, of course, guys have said others are a good tech and they weren't as good as they thought they were, they just made their company a lot of money, sometimes owners gauge a tech on money and not skill.

20. Likes Metalman0880 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    RMSG01,some people are just lucky enough to have someone "confront" them about their Professionalism. I would be happy as hell if ANYONE did that to me..Damn you(lol).

I recently took over an account that has 24 comps in 12 RTU and 6 comps were dead!! Thank You, Thank You Very Much. Today,for that same customer we swapped out a 15HP Cope Scroll on a chiller. Yesterday we replaced 2 of 4 cond fan motors on another unit.The system is 208/230 and the 2 cond fan motors we replaced were 575vac. And "MY" Professionalism is brought into question??? Go ahead,,,say something to me!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    RMSG01,some people are just lucky enough to have someone "confront" them about their Professionalism. I would be happy as hell if ANYONE did that to me..Damn you(lol).

I recently took over an account that has 24 comps in 12 RTU and 6 comps were dead!! Thank You, Thank You Very Much. Today,for that same customer we swapped out a 15HP Cope Scroll on a chiller. Yesterday we replaced 2 of 4 cond fan motors on another unit.The system is 208/230 and the 2 cond fan motors we replaced were 575vac. And "MY" Professionalism is brought into question??? Go ahead,,,say something to me!!!
    Howz about, ... "Did You enjoy the Hunley's first dive?"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post
    Howz about, ... "Did You enjoy the Hunley's first dive?"
    Yes,David, the very 1st dive I experienced on the (Hunley) USS Corporal-SS 346, was in fact an "EMERGENCY SURFACE,SURFACE, SURFACE".Apparently, the Sub had a bunch of "wanna be" Submarine Officers on board the SS -346 doing their "real live Training program" while doing their training out of New London,Ct. Now,"THAT" experience open my eyes,just a little. LOL. The Forward Torpedo Room hatch(a "door" in the ceiling) was not latched down properly and the Green Light/Red Light Panel (Christmas Tree Panel) was still showing GREEN(open). Welcome Aboard,Ski!!! Thats what I was called because my last name ends w/ s-k-i.

24. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Yes,David, the very 1st dive I experienced on the (Hunley) USS Corporal-SS 346, was in fact an "EMERGENCY SURFACE,SURFACE, SURFACE".Apparently, the Sub had a bunch of "wanna be" Submarine Officers on board the SS -346 doing their "real live Training program" while doing their training out of New London,Ct. Now,"THAT" experience open my eyes,just a little. LOL. The Forward Torpedo Room hatch(a "door" in the ceiling) was not latched down properly and the Green Light/Red Light Panel (Christmas Tree Panel) was still showing GREEN(open). Welcome Aboard,Ski!!! Thats what I was called because my last name ends w/ s-k-i.

And that Sir, .... Absolutely should cover "Go ahead,,,say something to me!!!"

Tech, ... Do You Miss those "Eye Opening Experiences"?