Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testo 550 problems

Post Likes

Testo 550 problems

Figured I'd see if any of y'all have had problems with your testo 550s. So far I've had a leaky valve body and a screen that freezes randomly. I feel like testo has my gauge set more then me at this point

Post Likes
    The hook for mine almost immediately came off and I couldn’t get it back on.
    Bent one of the pins on the temperature clamp but was able to straighten it enough to get it to work.
    Screen froze once. Got in December.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Max View Post
    The hook for mine almost immediately came off and I couldn’t get it back on.
    Bent one of the pins on the temperature clamp but was able to straighten it enough to get it to work.
    Screen froze once. Got in December.
    I feel ya brother, just got mine 3 weeks ago, brand new kit they came out with that has hoses and supposedly "fixed" the valve issues, but it's still better then a field piece to me, you played with the new yellow jacket smart gauge set yet?

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    In the first month had valves leaking sent them back 6 months later one of the clamps are not reading accurately or not reading at all. I’m done with them won’t buy anymore testo gauges. When they worked they where great but that didn’t last long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I haven’t played with the yellow jacket one but it looks pretty cool. I’m hoping to go more the smart probe route- I ordered to uei hub6. We’ll see how it goes. I still really like the 550s but have only had them 5 months. I agree, my perception is that the testos are better than the demand.

Post Likes
    I bought a used German made set of 550's few years ago. No problems yet. I'm thinking about getting a back up set just in case, but I'm hesitant, worried that the China made 550's are complete garbage.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    I have an sman 460 as my backup set, but it doesn't get used much. My DigiCools see the most action, followed by iManifold. But I've wondered what I'll do if the DCs ever go south.

JB industries has the new DM4 series, but they look like a mish-mash of 2 or 3 existing gauge sets, and it has a built-in manifold - 4 port (2 strikes right there). Plus the 'hook' is connected by a web strap. I'm thinking 'no'. Testo doesn't make my roster.

http://www.jbind.com/products/DM4.aspx

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vin lashon View Post
    I have an sman 460 as my backup set, but it doesn't get used much. My DigiCools see the most action, followed by iManifold. But I've wondered what I'll do if the DCs ever go south.

JB industries has the new DM4 series, but they look like a mish-mash of 2 or 3 existing gauge sets, and it has a built-in manifold - 4 port (2 strikes right there). Plus the 'hook' is connected by a web strap. I'm thinking 'no'. Testo doesn't make my roster.

http://www.jbind.com/products/DM4.aspx
    K-type temp
    1 year warranty(Testo does 5 year with registration)
    4 valve manifold

I bought a set of the 550 with bluetooth and they do seem to have some off and on issues.
    They don't zero with no hoses attached.
    The valves do not always open/close.

I swore off buying any Testo stuff after they scewed me on the 523, but with the 5 year warranty I had to bite. Guess they still have issues.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Ive got two sets of the 550’s

I have not had any major issues, but I do sometimes see they have a small pressure reading after use, usually like 1.2 psi or something. I dont worry too much about it, but I find it annoying.

I use the appions mostly and have no issues with those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    If I had to buy a digi-manifold today, I might try the testo, but likely the sman 340. Since Digi Cool went under, there really are not great choices in digital manifolds. Even those who stole Doug's design didn't have the common sense to keep the removable manifold. what I hate most about digital manifolds is what all existing digital manifolds have:

Built in manifold
    K type clamps

I can't speak to the durability.

As far as a 'manifoldless' system, it doesn't get much better than iConnect. Don't care much for the iManifold "gauge" set. No display and it limits your range (you can only get as far from the manifold as your bluetooth will allow). You can clip the iConnect to your belt and wander all over the site and maintain connection (as long as you have your phone with you).

Post Likes
    This is an old thread, but I'll add my two cents. Can't remember when I got my 550, but not long after I got it the valves started to leak. Testo sells a valve repair kit, I couldn't wait so I bought new silicon O rings from MSC. It took care of that problem. My latest problem, the unit is full of oil again, appears that the valve body is leaking, I could actually hear it bubbling, I'm not quite sure where the leak is but don't think it's the valves. I'm about to go to another brand. The only issue I have with the ones with remote sensor, if my only option is to read the gages on my cell phone, I don't like that, ties up my phone, can't walk away.

It is a nuisance to lug the hoses around, unless actually charging a system, but still don't know what to go with. Fieldpiece seems to be so popular, only thing I don't like is hits huge size.

Jim

Post Likes
    I have Digi cools which i use a lot for quick work.i have a new SMAN 480,But I don't use it much, as I'm using the fieldpiece probes more often.I have an IManifold But I never really got in the full swing of using it.I find Fieldpiece to be easier to use.I know guys that love the Imanifold.I just got used to fieldpiece.I don't have any Testo products, so can't say much about Testo.I think my future is more into not using a Manifold much, and using the fieldpiece wireless probes.

Post Likes
    I wish the Digi-Cools had been around long enough to have a wireless set with an App.I'm sure that was in the works.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleng View Post
    I have Digi cools which i use a lot for quick work.i have a new SMAN 480,But I don't use it much, as I'm using the fieldpiece probes more often.I have an IManifold But I never really got in the full swing of using it.I find Fieldpiece to be easier to use.I know guys that love the Imanifold.I just got used to fieldpiece.I don't have any Testo products, so can't say much about Testo.I think my future is more into not using a Manifold much, and using the fieldpiece wireless probes.
    What I like about fieldpiece job probes is that they're more portable than iConnect and completely wireless. iConnect can't say that. Plus, FP probes are more integrated with MQ. I'll be selling my iConnect stuff I think. Doesn't have many miles on it, and I can't see just letting it sit.

Post Likes

Testo 550 - Repair or Replace?

I got my Testo 550 about 3 years ago. Loved it when I got it. Then the liquid valve started leaking all over my hand. I ordered the repair kit. By the time the repair kit arrived - they valve was not leaking any more. Still not leaking that I know of. Still using the manifold a couple of times a week - mostly for charging. I have an old YJ Brute that gets most of the use.

Then on Friday evening I get a call that the AC is not cooling. Saturday morning when I get there the house is cool. The complaint is that it cools fine except in the heat of the day. I check the pressure with the Testo 550. I find the head pressure is high (310 on R22), the SC is high (18). I also find the filter drier has a 10 degree delta T across it. I notice my hand holding the 550 feels a little cooler than I expect. I'm back on Monday morning to replace the filter drier. I notice the back of my manifold is COLD. Below is the a picture. I find there is liquid side leak inside the manifold somewhere because when I disconnected the hoses the high side pressure slowly dropped to zero. The low side kept the residual pressure showing on the gage.

The question I want to ask is - should send it for repair? Open it up to see if I can fix it? Junk the thing and replace it with something else?

Name:  Testo 550.JPG
Views: 1213
Size:  1.17 MB
    Last edited by cxagent; 07-06-2020 at 06:00 PM.
    If "I have always done it this way" is a good reason to do it again, how many times do I have to do something wrong - before it becomes right?

Post Likes
    Not sure what Testo's warranty is...probably a year. If it's OOW, open that sucker up!

Post Likes
    Pretty sure it is out of warranty. I just found the receipt - April 2015. Look out 550 - here I come.
    If "I have always done it this way" is a good reason to do it again, how many times do I have to do something wrong - before it becomes right?

Post Likes
    I used a YJ P51-870 digital and loved it. The only thing it doesn't have is psychrometer hook up to go full on live readings, but it's a great digital. I then went to the SMAN 380 and it is the cat's ars, everything live and data logging too. Best manifold I've ever used. I used it with JL temp probes and psychrometers and don't ever remember having a connection problem. I've since moved to using JL probes and MQ all the time and not looking back. The JL app takes some patience but MQ is bullet proof and I'm loving it. Once you get used to it, it's easy to use and you have tons of info at your fingertips.

Post Likes
    The sman380 will likely be the next manifold I buy, but not until my DigiCools bite the dust. I use the JL probes with MQ a lot.

Post Likes
    Can't polish a turd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast