Thread: Coldspot through the wall air conditioner stopped blowing cold air

Post Likes

Coldspot through the wall air conditioner stopped blowing cold air

I have an old Sears wall unit (Coldspot, 13k btu, model#: 106 741390, S/N: E40748878, Refrigerant 22) that had been working fine until recently. Everything else seems to be working except it stopped blowing cold air. (I know I can get a new one but before I do I'd like to understand what's likely to be wrong with itName:  Outside right.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  174.1 KBName:  Outside left.jpg
Views: 1521
Size:  167.0 KBName:  Outside front.jpg
Views: 1450
Size:  136.4 KBName:  Inside front.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  90.4 KB.) Could it be that the refrigerant needs replacing? If so, how?

Post Likes
    it's pretty beat.

refrigerant is replaced through access ports a tech uses with his temperature and pressure gauges. Refrigerant is not a consumable, so if you have a leak (and you may not), replacing the unit is the best option.
    Nest is POO!!

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Generally speaking; a refrigerant related problem tends to happen slowly; performance degrading over time. An electrical related problem tends to have suddenly. That is; all at once the system stops performing.

It's all pure speculation for me at this far-away distance but the above is generally acurate.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by HVACJPao View Post
    I have an old Sears wall unit (Coldspot, 13k btu, model#: 106 741390, S/N: E40748878, Refrigerant 22) that had been working fine until recently. Everything else seems to be working except it stopped blowing cold air. (I know I can get a new one but before I do I'd like to understand what's likely to be wrong with itName:  Outside right.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  174.1 KBName:  Outside left.jpg
Views: 1521
Size:  167.0 KBName:  Outside front.jpg
Views: 1450
Size:  136.4 KBName:  Inside front.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  90.4 KB.) Could it be that the refrigerant needs replacing? If so, how?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Thanks, Guys. I turned it on again and didn't hear the compressor kicking in. Any recommendations on a replacement? This is a single-person master bedroom (13' x 11' and change) pretty packed with furniture. I'd like one that can turn on and off at a set temperature and relatively quiet.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Haier makes a nice line of 'window units'. Pretty quiet. Somewhat pricey for the good ones - but you get what you pay for I think.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by HVACJPao View Post
    Thanks, Guys. I turned it on again and didn't hear the compressor kicking in. Any recommendations on a replacement? This is a single-person master bedroom (13' x 11' and change) pretty packed with furniture. I'd like one that can turn on and off at a set temperature and relatively quiet.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

6. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Ive ALWAYS had a good experience with Haier products. A one ton unit is kind of big. make sure that it fits the wall hole before purchase.
    Nest is POO!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in