Thread: Ceiling mounted mini splits that can fit between joists that are 16" OC?

Post Likes

Ceiling mounted mini splits that can fit between joists that are 16" OC?

I recently had a HVAC company come to my house to come up with a plan and give me an estimate to retrofit a small room with air conditioning. Basically, we had at one time an completely open floor plan on our second floor, and had one mini split unit to cool it. We've since had kids, and added a bedroom at the front of the house.

I'm pretty open to what technology is used, and they recommended a concealed ducted mini split. It would involve adding quite a bit in the way of soffits which would seem to be pretty intrusive. Their quote, which I won't mention, also seemed quite high, as it was more than having the other three split units, which were installed, one per floor. These were done by another company that was great, but whose owner sadly has moved away.

To make a long story short, which I think I've already failed at, I was wondering if anyone knew of a mini split that had ceiling cassettes, which would fit between joists that were 16 OC, so that we wouldn't have to drop the ceiling to install. If it does exist, then I could start looking for HVAC contractors that had some experience with them. Note that if we went in this direction, we'd probably add 2 of them, one in a bedroom and one in a middle room, where each one would only have to cool a couple hundred (<300) square feet.

Any ideas or leads?

Post Likes
    Standard Wall mount

Ceiling Mount

Concealed ducted in a closet

Post Likes
    Can you clarify? I know those are the options, I was asking if there was a ceiling cassette product that fit between joists 16 OC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Not that I’m aware of!