+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuse popper

Post Likes

Fuse popper

Anyone ever use those lil poppers that supco makes? Wondering what all they're good for

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by honkie45 View Post
    Anyone ever use those lil poppers that supco makes? Wondering what all they're good for

I use them regularly. When a system has a grounding, they save some time when searching for the ground, meaning pulling and replacing fuses. And reseting a breaker is easy peasy.

Someone will come along and tell you about another neat ground finder that is slipping my mind....

If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!

Regarding Russian Roulette; five out of six players think it is a safe, enjoyable game!

"And I've been banned twice. What of it? If you aren't getting banned once every 3 years, you aren't trying." Brian8383

"it's actually 90 right now in this shaded area of satan's butthole." - HVAC_marc

“Don't believe signature quotes.” - George Washington

Post Likes
    I had trouble with not popping fast enough, smoked two xformers in one day, so i no longer use them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by channellxbob View Post
    I had trouble with not popping fast enough, smoked two xformers in one day, so i no longer use them.
    I had the same issue, then I replaced a rooftop unit with a 3.2 breaker in the control circuit and robbed the breaker when the unit was getting decommissioned. Have not had an issue since. I bought a couple of new ones for techs, they were cheaper than the poppers.

Post Likes
    Poppers can be had in 3 amp and 5 amp, did you blow your xfmr on the 3 amp one? Maybe it's got a slow-blow curve that's too slow.

Post Likes
    Yes, ive got the supco 3 and the 5 little poppers. I use them to help me locate a low voltage short without having to blow a bunch of fuses

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by honkie45 View Post

Zebra electronics used to make an auto reset one that has a red led on the end to indicate that it is blown but they changed and now the new one is just a circuit breaker. I think it is called short pro.
    The alligator clip just broke off of mine yesterday so I need to repair it as I am shure not going to buy the new model.
    The old one was amazing for finding shorts because you could be across the room unhooking things and see when the led turns off to indicate that the short is gone.
    When mine dies I will have to figure out how to build a new one.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

8. Likes Matt Woodbridge liked this post.
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rcstl View Post
    I use them regularly. When a system has a grounding, they save some time when searching for the ground, meaning pulling and replacing fuses. And reseting a breaker is easy peasy.

Someone will come along and tell you about another neat ground finder that is slipping my mind....
    Maybe that is the Zebra short pro.
    I just sent an email begging them to bring it back because mine is getting old and I will have to build my own if I can't find a new old stock one or something.

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

10. Likes crazzycajun liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Zebra electronics used to make an auto reset one that has a red led on the end to indicate that it is blown but they changed and now the new one is just a circuit breaker. I think it is called short pro.
    The alligator clip just broke off of mine yesterday so I need to repair it as I am shure not going to buy the new model.
    The old one was amazing for finding shorts because you could be across the room unhooking things and see when the led turns off to indicate that the short is gone.
    When mine dies I will have to figure out how to build a new one.

I honestly should've just snagged a 3 amp off a carrier rtu and been good with that

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I've always wanted to try those things out, never have, just rely on my meter and take it slow and be thorough checking for shorts.

13. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have a Zebra. Yes, you can do it all with a meter, but remove the fuse and short the fuse holder with the zebra and there's no kicking the power off and on, just watch the light and disconnect the LV wiring at the terminal board until the light stops flashing. Then repair the short. A time saver.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vin lashon View Post
    I have a Zebra. Yes, you can do it all with a meter, but remove the fuse and short the fuse holder with the zebra and there's no kicking the power off and on, just watch the light and disconnect the LV wiring at the terminal board until the light stops flashing. Then repair the short. A time saver.
    That tool is no longer available the current one is just a manual reset 3 amp breaker. I've sent multiple emails asking for the old one back but so far I'm just farting in the wind as they say. I refuse to buy the breaker one because I can get a breaker from some other manufacturer and make my own.

16. Likes vin lashon liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Really? The Short Pro Tool is no longer available? That totally sucks. Think I'm on my third one in the past 5-6 years. Guess I should send out an email or two . . .

That tool is no longer available the current one is just a manual reset 3 amp breaker. I've sent multiple emails asking for the old one back but so far I'm just farting in the wind as they say. I refuse to buy the breaker one because I can get a breaker from some other manufacturer and make my own.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Looks like the original is still available. Put these words into your search engine:

Short Pro Tool
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

19. Likes vin lashon liked this post.
    Post Likes

Yeah, the Zebra's been discontinued for a while now. I have both the 3 and 5 amp popper, but they don't get much use. They don't seem to consistently pop at the right amperage and I've burned up some transformers. So it's either the zebra or a meter and/or an inline fuse.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Looks like the original is still available. Put these words into your search engine:

Short Pro Tool
    Seems like a few are available. Here's one from Amazon that seems to still be made by Zebra (with auto reset), but last time I bought one, it turned out to be the one made by mars, which has a breaker.

https://www.amazon.com/Short-Quickly...7026717&sr=8-2
    Last edited by vin lashon; 03-29-2021 at 10:42 AM. Reason: added link

Post Likes
    Really? The Short Pro Tool is no longer available? That totally sucks. Think I'm on my third one in the past 5-6 years. Guess I should send out an email or two . . .
    Please do I figure if maybe we can get 1,000 or more emails into them they might take us seriously. If not I've been planning to reverse engineer and build my own I'm sure it won't be as small it might be mounted in a pill bottle or something but if it works it works.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vin lashon View Post
    Seems like a few are available. Here's one from Amazon that seems to still be made by Zebra (with auto reset), but last time I bought one, it turned out to be the one made by mars, which has a breaker.
    Yeah I have seen a few still available online but they're just new old stock. The original as far as I can tell is no longer made. I'm pretty sure it's an extremely simple circuit of an auto resetting breaker just like used in a car with an LED across the breaker so it shouldn't be hard to build.

Post Likes

Short Pro Tool
    I have found some of the online sellers are still using the old picture but it's not actually the old tool. Zebra confirmed that they have not made it in several years.

Post Likes
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in