+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with Damper Actuator Selection.

Post Likes

Help with Damper Actuator Selection.

Hello Everyone,

I need your help in selecting an actuator for a big damper (240 " X 174 "). Its for a Generator Room .

The torque required to operate is around 1200 in - lb and I can mount 4 GKB 24 (Belimo - 360 in - lb) actuators.

But I am just trying to explore if there are any other actuators in the market that has a higher torque rating.

Thank You.

Post Likes
    Belimo absolutely has higher torque available in a single actuator. Best to call your rep and see what's available and fits the install.

Post Likes
    Thanks Max.

Post Likes
    Careful, there's more to it than simply having enough torque. You're going to want to make sure that the damper closes completely (everyone can see it after all) Obviously it's going to be a multi-section unit made up of multiple dampers that are going to be linked together. In my experience regardless of the quality of the jackshafts and linkages there is always some "slop". If you don't have multiple actuators at distributed locations on the face of the damper you'll find that the damper linkage you've attached the actuator to is fully rotated but the subsequent dampers don't rotate 100%.

If you can wait until the damper is installed and put a wrench on where you want to put your actuator(s), rotate the damper drive pin manually, and observe.

Assuming you're figuring the required torque based on the damper manufacturer's data, beware. Rarely is a damper installed as perfectly as they are in a testing lab and rarely is a damper in a testing lab exposed to the corrosive effects on being installed in an outside wall.

Spend a little more now and save the money required to fix it later.

Post Likes
    Thank you CraftyNRingwise.

That's a real good advice. I was planing to mount 2, 360 - in lb on either side of the damper thus getting a 1440 in-lb torque in total.

Post Likes
    vicky2215,
    An old school rule of thumb:
    On a sectional Damper assembly estimate 1 in/lb for every 1 inch of linear side seal. Just remember that each damper section has side seals on both sides.

If you have a 48" by 48" Damper section the estimate would require 96 in/lbs of torque.

In general, it's better to use more lower torque actuators that fewer higher torque actuators. Less expensive and, usually, more available .
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !
    You cannot protect the Stupid from themselves !
    "Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake Before you make it again!" (Stolen Quote)

7. Likes MaxBurn liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in