+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backfeeding transformer for shop power

Post Likes

Backfeeding transformer for shop power

I fully understand this could be extremely dangerous if I don’t do it right and I am not going to do anything until I’m 100% certain what I’m doing.

My local liquidation auction has tons of industrial transformers ending in the next few days. Very few very low bids on them. They are mostly 15-75kva 1ph 480-240/120 stepdown xformers. Some 3ph and other misc. I’m setting up my new shop soon and while I don’t need it yet, I love having options. Would it be possible to backfeed a transformer to produce 480v from 240? My shop only has 240 1ph. I’d love to get 3 ph someday but that’s a future project. My current understanding is that what I’m wanting to do is possible and safe. I understand that in theory I will get a 3-4% drop from expected on secondary voltage at no load and 5-6% at full load. I’m also unsure how/where my neutral would be produced. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    You can't get three phase from single phase with a transformer.
    It's not what you're capable of doing that defines you, it's what you do on a daily basis.

3. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billg View Post
    I know, I’m referring to single. Although there’s not really anything I’d ever need 480 1ph for... I think some well pumps use it.

Post Likes
    I'm currently looking for a buck/ boost R3 transformer.
    480volt primary 240 volt secondary 10kva 1phase.
    I wonder if they have one like that ?
    Yes with this type of transformer you can wire them either way. You can not change the phase.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    I'm currently looking for a buck/ boost R3 transformer.
    480volt primary 240 volt secondary 10kva 1phase.
    I wonder if they have one like that ?
    Yes with this type of transformer you can wire them either way. You can not change the phase.
    Smallest they have is a 15kva 480P 240s 1ph. Would that work for you?

Post Likes
    If you know the make and model I could look up the physical size. Existing one fits in a outdoor enclosure.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    If you know the make and model I could look up the physical size. Existing one fits in a outdoor enclosure.
    Looks about the size of a suitcase.

Post Likes
    Any R3 enclosure types. Those are indoor I need outdoor.

Post Likes
    yes you can. there's electronics involved and they are $$$$$$$ Another member here helped my friend out with finding a single phase to 3 phase transformer. They cost more than the rotary converters that are designed for the same higher loads.
    Nest is POO!!

11. Likes VTP99, DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Than it's not just a transformer, is it?
    It would be like hooking up a drive powered off single phase to power a 3 phase transformer, or something to that effect.
    Making a 3 phase converter is simple and cheap anyway, so why bother.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    yes you can. there's electronics involved and they are $$$$$$$ Another member here helped my friend out with finding a single phase to 3 phase transformer. They cost more than the rotary converters that are designed for the same higher loads.

Post Likes
    It would be like hooking up a drive powered off single phase to power a 3 phase transformer, or something to that effect.
    I forget exactly who it was who referenced it for me. Maybe kangaroogod. Anyway... It *looked* like a giant transformer in a box. I assume there was a a separate control board that made a phase offset for the 3rd leg. I do remember is was LARGE DOLLARS vs. a rotary 3 phase converter.

A drive changes frequency so i dont think it'll really apply to this discussion.
    Nest is POO!!

14. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Making a 3 phase converter is simple and cheap anyway, so why bother.
    Tell me more about this simple and cheap 3 phase converter... all options I’ve seen are pricy and intensive.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Supa-Heat View Post
    Tell me more about this simple and cheap 3 phase converter... all options I’ve seen are pricy and intensive.

There isnt one. The transformer by itself was like 9k. The rotary converter was around 3-4k.
    Nest is POO!!

17. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    All you need is a 3 phase motor about twice the size of the largest motor you plan to run, a hard start kit from an a/c to start it, momentarily start-stop switch, a relay, contactor and some capacitors (I save the old good pcb oil ones). All of which you can get used.

Quote Originally Posted by Supa-Heat View Post

Post Likes
    and dont forget- you have to start the converter every time you want to start the unit you want to use.

OR, like my friend...

Let it run 24/7/365
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    It's just a matter of pushing two buttons instead of one, or just let it run while you're working.

21. Likes HVAC_Marc, DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    my friend sold his 3 phase soft serve machine and bought a water cooled unit instead
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Please note that the NEC only permits backfeeding a transformer if the manufacturers instructions permit it, see NEC art. 450.11(B) which was added in the 2014 edition.

Post Likes
    I have a fish processing customer that only has a 208 3ph service to their plant. I have had to install 3 transformers this year to supply new 480 V equipment and to supply shipping containers. Any 480-208 3 ph step down transformer has worked. I have had one unit that would not produce more than 430 v no matter the tap connections and I had another 150 kva xformer that would not go lower than 500 volts.

I also have fed single ph 240 to 3ph VFD's and they power 3ph motors just fine. I suppose you could feed the output of the VFD into a 3ph transformer to supply a 480 motor and it would function fine???

Post Likes
    Oh and before anyone says you can't do this by code. All of these projects were done according to PE stamped design and mfg. instructions and signed off by AHJ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in