+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Toilet loosing water

Post Likes

Toilet loosing water

I have an AS one piece Hamilton toilet that keeps loosing water(fill valve opens 3 times in 24 hours.) I have changed flapper, however, it still wants to fill by itself.

'Tis,

T

Post Likes
    Have you put food coloring in the tank to see if the flapper isn't 100% tight. Even with a new flapper the seat that it sets on might ha e small crack or built up not letting the flapper to seat properly.

Post Likes
    Agree with servicefitter - place one of those dye tablets in while the tank is really calm and you will easily see where the leak is. I had one once where the porcelain itself had a flaw and the flapper valve wasn't the issue. A little bit of plumber's putty solved that one.

Post Likes
    I had a customer tell me he had changed the flapper and flush valve, he changed the flapper twice. He removed the tank to change out the flush valve. I told him all I would be able to do is the same thing he did. Maybe a bad flush valve. Idk. But thinking back, I don't like korky flappers, I think they suck. I think if I would have known at the time I would have changed it to a standard universal flapper.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I have had the same problem, check the flush valve, I am finding more and more, with a horizontal crack just under the flapper seat.

Post Likes
    You don't even neeed dye to tell you're loosing water. Maybe your chain is just a tiny bit too short?

Post Likes
    The sealing surface where the flapper sits when closed can wear out. The term is “wire drawing”. Just the same as tires on the car wear out, your flush assembly can wear out too. If it’s a 1 piece toilet that’s a big job. If you’re into that toilet, then sure. I’d recommend a gerber. They are American made and actually really solid. Unless you want to pull a toilet and hunt down the bottom of the flush assembly probably not worth it.

Post Likes
    Or is your fill valve defective and sending water down the over flow pipe ?

Post Likes
    Maybe the dog is drinking out of the bowl and flushed when empty

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    All good my ends Dan. I’m a DIYer so rely upon the support and advice from this forum to get the simple jobs done. Other than that, all else is well.

Post Likes
    It is need expert service for your problem so call local plumber or search good service provider in your locality

Post Likes
    Any time you’re losing water it’s the flapper, fill valve or plastic sealing surface which sits against the flapper.

The plastic surface Can become wire drawn (aka pitted) if it’s been in a state of disrepair for any extended period for time.

Certified toilet bowl technologist

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in