Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chiller Tech Union wages

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MechTech2013 View Post
    Arizona. Why are the Natiinal Agreements POS? A Service Journeyman is still a Service Journeyman.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro
    No double time, except a few holidays and (scheduled) Sundays (only if your home local recognizes double time on Sunday. Life time tradesmen and MES who get crap benefits. Employer doesn't have to buy tools. Etc. I can see a few reasons for it and in many areas it makes sense but not in some areas.

state law here says hourly employees get double time after 12 hr, there is an exception for union members because they didn't think that any union would sign a worse agreement than the bare minimum of their labor law so under the national agreement, we can work unlimited hours straight and only be on time and a half.

Were your born in Arizona? What's it like in the summer? Do you stay busy all year? I was in the Army in the south in summer and of course , its humid, but I couldn't imagine Arizona in summer. I've only been there in spring and I loved it.

Post Likes
    I think DT after 12 hrs is a state labor law thing. There's no DT after 12 hrs here, Local or National. Tradesmen & Servicemen are a necessity.

"All time worked before and after the regularly established shift hours in any twenty-four (24) hour period, Monday through Saturday inclusive, shall be at a rate not to exceed time and one-half of the Employee's regular shift rate of pay. Time worked on Sundays and holidays shall be paid in accordance with the local agreement covering service at a rate not to exceed double time the Employee's regular shift rate of pay." - from the NSMA Agreement

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    I know a few MES guys that worked the factory which are non-union around here and are probably the best overhaul mechanics in town. Labels don't mean a whole lot to me the union and contractors like to do that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Under the National Agreement which I work under, "Construction" is just that and Service is referred to as "Mechanical Equipment Service".
    Construction has Journeymen & Apprentices.
    Service has Apprentices, Tradesmen, Servicemen, & Journeymen.
    I get what you're saying about the crazy real estate market on the West Coast. You guys didn't price yourselves out of the "market", the real estate market has been priced out of reach.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    I worked the " Blue Oval " and the " SunFlake " one just have to perform creative math when filling out time sheets . One other thing don't brag about it out loud and attract attention to yourself .

Post Likes
    Under the National Agreement which I work under, "Construction" is just that and Service is referred to as "Mechanical Equipment Service".
    Construction has Journeymen & Apprentices.
    Service has Apprentices, Tradesmen, Servicemen, & Journeymen.
    I get what you're saying about the crazy real estate market on the West Coast. You guys didn't price yourselves out of the "market", the real estate market has been priced out of reach.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro
    Correction:
    The National Agreement which I work under, "Construction" is just that and Service is referred to as "Mechanical Equipment Service".
    Construction has BTJourneymen & BTApprentices.
    Service has MESApprentices, MESTradesmen, MESServicemen, & MESJourneymen.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    Correction:
    The National Agreement which I work under, "Construction" is just that and Service is referred to as "Mechanical Equipment Service".
    Construction has BTJourneymen & BTApprentices.
    Service has MESApprentices, MESTradesmen, MESServicemen, & MESJourneymen.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro
    do the construction guys get better pay and benefits than service?
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    At this Branch, everyone is Service. There's no Construction. If we had BTJourneymen, they would be the same as MESJourneymen - in pay & fringes. F.Y.I., at this shop, a BTJ Card doesn't equal being a BTJ.
    Out here, it's the Local Agreement that throws everything out of whack. It has like 3 different Service Journeymen classified. The shop I work at, a National Sig, just uses the highest classification. It makes things simple.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    At this Branch, everyone is Service. There's no Construction. If we had BTJourneymen, they would be the same as MESJourneymen - in pay & fringes. F.Y.I., at this shop, a BTJ Card doesn't equal being a BTJ.
    Out here, it's the Local Agreement that throws everything out of whack. It has like 3 different Service Journeymen classified. The shop I work at, a National Sig, just uses the highest classification. It makes things simple.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro
    What do you mean by branch? your are in a HVAC service only local? no plumbers or pipefitters? do the local union reps negotiate wages with contractors or its done at the national level?
    I'm not a big fan of the national service agreement either, we have our own local agreement, pension and annuity, we control our investments allocation, we get more per credit pension year.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    What do you mean by branch? your are in a HVAC service only local? no plumbers or pipefitters? do the local union reps negotiate wages with contractors or its done at the national level?
    I'm not a big fan of the national service agreement either, we have our own local agreement, pension and annuity, we control our investments allocation, we get more per credit pension year.
    What do you mean by branch?
    Branch Office of the National Sig that I work for.
    your are in a HVAC service only local?
    No, not HVACR only.
    no plumbers or pipefitters?
    Yes, Plumbers & Pipefitters combined Local.
    do the local union reps negotiate wages with contractors or its done at the national level?
    Locally negotiated.
    I'm not a big fan of the national service agreement either, we have our own local agreement, pension and annuity, we control our investments.allocation, we get more per credit pension year.

How aren't MESJourneymen & Local Journeymen (BT and Service) co-equals in package over there?

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    Up here if your union card has anything other on it than BTJ then you are at the mercy of the contractors, basically they can pay you whatever they want and you get the national benefit package meaning no local pension or annuity, I'm classified as service BTJ, I get the same whole packages as the fitters, welders and plumbers, my work is 100% commercial-industrial, MESJ,DVTJ, and the others work mostly doing retail service and PM, contractors have the option to bump MES to full package after 5 years, some guys get bumped sooner, some never, not a good system in my opinion, lots of gray areas and loopholes for the contractor to take advantage.

12. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Up here if your union card has anything other on it than BTJ then you are at the mercy of the contractors, basically they can pay you whatever they want and you get the national benefit package meaning no local pension or annuity, I'm classified as service BTJ, I get the same whole packages as the fitters, welders and plumbers, my work is 100% commercial-industrial, MESJ,DVTJ, and the others work mostly doing retail service and PM, contractors have the option to bump MES to full package after 5 years, some guys get bumped sooner, some never, not a good system in my opinion, lots of gray areas and loopholes for the contractor to take advantage.
    A Serviceman, or MESServiceman, or as you call it MES, is a Light Commercial/Commercial HVACR Tech. There is a need for those guys.
    In Construction, it's Journeymen & Apprentices - not so much in Service. Try owning a shop w/ nothing but Journeymen on staff in Los Angeles. You'd need to be billing out at $185/hr min. per guy.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    A Serviceman, or MESServiceman, or as you call it MES, is a Light Commercial/Commercial HVACR Tech. There is a need for those guys.
    In Construction, it's Journeymen & Apprentices - not so much in Service. Try owning a shop w/ nothing but Journeymen on staff in Los Angeles. You'd need to be billing out at $185/hr min. per guy.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro
    The profit margins of light commercial-residential are very small, my employer makes the big bucks out of commercial-industrial installations and service, I dont see a problem with having journeymen and apprentices only, If a lawyer can bill out $350/hr or more for a whole lot of hot air, we can do $185/hr easy.

Post Likes
    The profit margins of light commercial-residential are very small, my employer makes the big bucks out of commercial-industrial installations and service, I dont see a problem with having journeymen and apprentices only, If a lawyer can bill out $350/hr or more for a whole lot of hot air, we can do $185/hr easy.
    Where are you located?

There are so many people in this trade, including contractors who don't know thier worth. I have a few friends who started shops because they didn't want to have a boss. A few of thwm would make more working for UPS since they would get paid for all thier hours.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyca View Post
    Where are you located?

There are so many people in this trade, including contractors who don't know thier worth. I have a few friends who started shops because they didn't want to have a boss. A few of thwm would make more working for UPS since they would get paid for all thier hours.
    That's a great point that people need to seriously take into consideration before working for themselves.

Here in the 602, we have step increases for this and the next two years that ends up with us at $41/hr in our pocket.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12