+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Garbage dispsal and dishwasher

Post Likes

Garbage dispsal and dishwasher

Can a garbage disposal and dishwasher be on the same 120v 20amp breaker. I'm planning my kitchen remodel.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Post Likes
    Mine are, no problems for the past 1.5 decades.
    Never argue with a crazy man.

Post Likes
    Check the manufacturers specs on each and plan accordingly.

"It worked for me" at the very least, is bad advice.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
    O & M HVAC/R Tech

Post Likes
    I have never seen any codes about this. Two relatively low power appliances rarely on at the same time? Millions set up that way. Ask your contractor or plumber or electrician. Or your code official.

If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!

Regarding Russian Roulette; five out of six players think it is a safe, enjoyable game!

"And I've been banned twice. What of it? If you aren't getting banned once every 3 years, you aren't trying." Brian8383

"it's actually 90 right now in this shaded area of satan's butthole." - HVAC_marc

“Don't believe signature quotes.” - George Washington

Post Likes
    No. Dishwasher has to have it's own breaker. Will it work on one? Absolutely.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rcstl View Post
    I have never seen any codes about this. Two relatively low power appliances rarely on at the same time? Millions set up that way. Ask your contractor or plumber or electrician. Or your code official.
    Thanks for all the replies. I thought they should be separate but I had an electrician over who will be replacing Main and two sub panels and providing proper grounding and more breakers. My house was built in 1958.I assumed
    separate circuits but was told don't worry they can be on one. This will be inspected so I don't want to have to do this part twice. I just thought I would run this by everyone and see what the consensus is here.
    ckartson

Post Likes
    Txvman, OK I just did, I was avoiding crawling under the kitchen sink but I did:
    Garbage disposal, Badger 500-1 1/2HP 120V 6.3A
    Dishwasher, Kenmore 665.1514591 11A total

Looks like it's ok.
    Thanks for getting me under the sink.
    ckartson

Post Likes
    When I said ask... I meant for the local rules and codes, not meaning to prove my point. Rules are interpreted and enforced differently in various areas. Local electricians should know their territory.

The last time I did a RNC Kitchen cabinet install, it seems like there was just one 15A for the dishwasher and disposer. That was in 2011. The same for my 1994 house. I am not sure what it is here in 2017.

If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!

Regarding Russian Roulette; five out of six players think it is a safe, enjoyable game!

"And I've been banned twice. What of it? If you aren't getting banned once every 3 years, you aren't trying." Brian8383

"it's actually 90 right now in this shaded area of satan's butthole." - HVAC_marc

Post Likes
    I just looked it up in my NEC book. Each has to have its own branch circuit, rated for the draw, and it has to be GFCI. Section 210.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Different municipalities apply rules differently was all I was saying. Governing bodies have to regularly vote to adopt new and current codes. In STL some of the municipalities have their own Public Works inspections, others rely on the STL County Public Works inspections. Obviously, keeping it straight here is a chore.

If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ckartson View Post
    Txvman, OK I just did, I was avoiding crawling under the kitchen sink but I did:
    Garbage disposal, Badger 500-1 1/2HP 120V 6.3A
    Dishwasher, Kenmore 665.1514591 11A total

Looks like it's ok.
    Thanks for getting me under the sink.
    Even if it was allowed, based on your numbers it would not be without up sizing your wiring.

Have it done properly.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I almost got in trouble on that one. Inpector came in for bath remodel, noticed all new appliances in kitchen and new tile floor. Tile floor is what got me. Had to put in GFI for dishwasher. Had a choice of a GFI for disposal or an isolated switch. I put in an air switch for the disposal and eliminated the wall switch.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    I just looked it up in my NEC book. Each has to have its own branch circuit, rated for the draw, and it has to be GFCI. Section 210.
    Even though I was Grandfathered in on the Garbage Disposal replacement, I wanted to bring it up to modern codes. Here if you install a drip proof Single Receptacle in the Cabinet and an Air Switch for the disposal, "no wall switch" you are to code. Dishwasher is on it's own GFI Breaker, and now plugs in to bring it up to code, rather than hardwired.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in