+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vacuum rise test

Post Likes

Vacuum rise test

I am working on a York YKk and have finally achieved a 211 micron vacuum after shutting of the vacuum to the chiller to perform a 24hr stand off test.

Returned after 24 hours to find a 140 micron rise

Is this acceptable???

Post Likes
    I would call it good less then 1200 in 24hrs

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN, jerry142 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Ditto. We go by 1000/24hr. Sounds like you got a tight machine there!
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

5. Likes jerry142 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    You guys got it easy, supermarket chains want 300 for 24hours, 100 drift.

Post Likes
    1000/24 hrs
    500/12 hrs
    40/1 hrs
    10/.15 min

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes jerry142, always looking liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chillerguru View Post
    1000/24 hrs
    500/12 hrs
    40/1 hrs
    10/.15 min

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I usually shoot for the 24 hour test, or at least over night on larger units. If it rises, then levels off, there's probably moisture. If it keeps rising, then a leak. Unfortunately you can't tell that with a short test.

10. Likes JCN, CHILLERSVCMAN, jerry142 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If you pulled it that low and only re-gained that much ; SHOOT THE GAS TO IT ! Hit 40* SAT and push liquid . There are other techniques - for a later date .

Post Likes
    New construction , remodel , or service ? Unfortunately I did as I was instructed .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyD View Post
    I usually shoot for the 24 hour test, or at least over night on larger units. If it rises, then levels off, there's probably moisture. If it keeps rising, then a leak. Unfortunately you can't tell that with a short test.
    Great point here. If you aren't monitoring your rise over a 12/24 hour period, it's hard to get a good grasp of what it can actually tell you. On a rebuild, I don't like to see any rise over 750 microns. But I hate chasing leaks on low pressure machines a year later. It is really hard to explain to a customer when his purge is timing out 18 months after he just spent the coin on a full rebuild.

14. Likes chillerguru, BennyD, CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have this from days at York, possibly a bit out-dated and probably refers to new equipment, but is an interesting starting point.
    Results can be skewed by modern aromatic oils, especially with longer rise tests. If it is a positive pressure machine, has had no moisture / tube issues, what does a rise test mean ? Great, I have a vacuum leak that I will never find and is at a system condition that will never exist under normal operation !
    Just my opinion.
    Still do a rise test and often wonder why !?!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ajayl View Post
    I have this from days at York, possibly a bit out-dated and probably refers to new equipment, but is an interesting starting point.
    Results can be skewed by modern aromatic oils, especially with longer rise tests. If it is a positive pressure machine, has had no moisture / tube issues, what does a rise test mean ? Great, I have a vacuum leak that I will never find and is at a system condition that will never exist under normal operation !
    Just my opinion.
    Had a Trane screw machine once that kept failing an evacuation test horribly. Put it on 100psi pressure test and would hold for days.
    What was it? An o-ring. Pressure would push it out and seal. Low pressure/vacuum, it would relax and start leaking. Found it at 35psi. Started low and kept going around the machine bumping the pressure little by little. Once it did start leaking, it was like a sieve, huge bubbles.
    That's my experience with evacuation tests on high pressure machines.

17. Likes JCN, chander liked this post.
    Post Likes

Helpful Link -

Quote Originally Posted by ajayl View Post
    Just my opinion.
    Hello there,

Just wanted to thank you for the document - very helpful.
    I'm currently studying Refrigeration at college and have found the document very informative.

Thanks,

Jacques -
    Last edited by Jacquespoundsc; 06-27-2020 at 07:50 AM. Reason: missed a word

Post Likes
    I found a great app for nitrogen pressure rise calculator in an app HVAC school .com
    Keep it simple to keep it cool!

Post Likes

21. Likes Chillmac liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The fact that you are looking at a 24hr standing test says you are on the right track. The most important thing I believe is a triple evacuation first, then you can commence your standing test. Anything below 500 is good - lower is even better, but a 200 to 300 rise after 24hrs is probably the most you'd want to see.

23. Likes stanbyyourword liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I always stress keeping a h2O tp chart on hand also. Any rise to water saturation and tapering off indicates water, continued rise indicates leaks.

Critical systems and chillers should have at least an 8 hr hold just due to temperature affects on the pressure. Max 500 micron rise in 8 hrs.

Some leaks due to warped or over torqued flanges, o-rings with excessive clearance & shaft seals may leak when in a vacuum but not under pressure.

Our industry is lacking in standards for evacuation & leak testing. A double evacuation < 500 micron, and standing hold is good insurance.

Anytime evacuation is being performed near freezing temperatures rate of evacuation should be limited and stand holds extended due to possibility of ice formation. Ice will take ~ 4x longer to evacuate due to sublimation.

Post Likes
    Carrier manual states .05” hg as acceptable loss in 24 hrs or 1270 microns

Post Likes
    Where did you get this? Is this a rule of thumb you learned or did you get this from a book?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyD View Post
    Had a Trane screw machine once that kept failing an evacuation test horribly. Put it on 100psi pressure test and would hold for days.
    What was it? An o-ring. Pressure would push it out and seal. Low pressure/vacuum, it would relax and start leaking. Found it at 35psi. Started low and kept going around the machine bumping the pressure little by little. Once it did start leaking, it was like a sieve, huge bubbles.
    That's my experience with evacuation tests on high pressure machines.
    Early style Sporlan EXVs on RTAA would do that where the wires go through the body. You can take it apart and tighten the little packing nut and use a little 515 on it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in