Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: Utility Sink Drain Pipe Leak

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    13
    Post Likes

    Utility Sink Drain Pipe Leak

    I've attached several photos to show where an old utility sink was removed and a new one was put in, however, the drain pipe on the new one leaks badly. In the pictures, where I've detached it is where it leaks. I'm a novice w/this stuff and just wondering what the fix is. It has a gasket as well but am I missing any parts? I've also attached pictures of the overall drain pipe setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    29,964
    Post Likes
    The tailpiece is too long and you have that part which is leaking installed wrong. Flip the part that's leaking end-for-end. Them cut off the tailpiece so that it fits into the socket of the U bend.

    PHM
    ---------



    Quote Originally Posted by shobuddy View Post
    I've attached several photos to show where an old utility sink was removed and a new one was put in, however, the drain pipe on the new one leaks badly. In the pictures, where I've detached it is where it leaks. I'm a novice w/this stuff and just wondering what the fix is. It has a gasket as well but am I missing any parts? I've also attached pictures of the overall drain pipe setup.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

  3. Likes dieseldude liked this post.
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bridgeton, MO, 'burb of St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    7,582
    Post Likes
    The sharp part of the gasket goes into the U part of the trap. If it is reversed it will leak. No "S". The gasket is just backwards. And twist it so you get a straight run to the trap.

    You need a plumber, I looked back at your pictures and I just saw more issues. It is worth the money.....


    If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!


    Regarding Russian Roulette; five out of six players think it is a safe, enjoyable game!

    "And I've been banned twice. What of it? If you aren't getting banned once every 3 years, you aren't trying." Brian8383

    "it's actually 90 right now in this shaded area of satan's butthole." - HVAC_marc

    “Don't believe signature quotes.” - George Washington

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    13
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by rcstl View Post
    The sharp part of the gasket goes into the U part of the trap. If it is reversed it will leak. No "S". The gasket is just backwards. And twist it so you get a straight run to the trap.

    You need a plumber, I looked back at your pictures and I just saw more issues. It is worth the money.....
    Thank you for the responses. Do you know how much a plumber would charge for a job like this. Just a ballpark figure.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Billington Heights, NY
    Posts
    21,619
    Post Likes
    Step away from the pipes and call a plumber. The tailpiece is too long, the trap is done wrong, and parts are used incorrectly. We cant discuss pricing on here but it should all be done easily in less than an hour, drive time included.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bridgeton, MO, 'burb of St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    7,582
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    Step away from the pipes and call a plumber. The tailpiece is too long, the trap is done wrong, and parts are used incorrectly. We cant discuss pricing on here but it should all be done easily in less than an hour, drive time included.
    That is what I was trying to say... But my keyboard only has so many keys. and I used them all


    If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!


    Regarding Russian Roulette; five out of six players think it is a safe, enjoyable game!

    "And I've been banned twice. What of it? If you aren't getting banned once every 3 years, you aren't trying." Brian8383

    "it's actually 90 right now in this shaded area of satan's butthole." - HVAC_marc

    “Don't believe signature quotes.” - George Washington

  8. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
  9. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Billington Heights, NY
    Posts
    21,619
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rcstl View Post
    That is what I was trying to say... But my keyboard only has so many keys. and I used them all
    Im just saltier lately

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bridgeton, MO, 'burb of St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    7,582
    Post Likes
    ^^^ Ha Ha!


    If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!


    Regarding Russian Roulette; five out of six players think it is a safe, enjoyable game!

    "And I've been banned twice. What of it? If you aren't getting banned once every 3 years, you aren't trying." Brian8383

    "it's actually 90 right now in this shaded area of satan's butthole." - HVAC_marc

    “Don't believe signature quotes.” - George Washington

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    29,964
    Post Likes
    This advise is not accurate.

    The non-bell end of the trap requires a specially molded ridge on the end it mates with - not a loose gasket. It is a union / swing-joint - not a gasket joint.

    The gasket will only seal the joint at an insertion socket.

    In the posted pictures the specially made end is attached improperly at the pipe coming out of the wall. That piece is installed with it's ends reversed.

    PHM
    ------------




    Quote Originally Posted by rcstl View Post
    The sharp part of the gasket goes into the U part of the trap. If it is reversed it will leak. No "S". The gasket is just backwards. And twist it so you get a straight run to the trap.

    You need a plumber, I looked back at your pictures and I just saw more issues. It is worth the money.....
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Billington Heights, NY
    Posts
    21,619
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    This advise is not accurate.

    The non-bell end of the trap requires a specially molded ridge on the end it mates with - not a loose gasket. It is a union / swing-joint - not a gasket joint.

    The gasket will only seal the joint at an insertion socket.

    In the posted pictures the specially made end is attached improperly at the pipe coming out of the wall. That piece is installed with it's ends reversed.

    PHM
    ------------

    As an FYI - most traps now accept the non-flared part of a pipe with a separate gasket and seal correctly.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bridgeton, MO, 'burb of St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    7,582
    Post Likes
    And to think we are making these assessments from four or five pictures over the internet, shuh. My take was correct. The tail is slanted, it is too long, the gasket was positioned upside down, S traps are not code in many places and there is NO plumber in the picture.

    So there!


    If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!


    Regarding Russian Roulette; five out of six players think it is a safe, enjoyable game!

    "And I've been banned twice. What of it? If you aren't getting banned once every 3 years, you aren't trying." Brian8383

    "it's actually 90 right now in this shaded area of satan's butthole." - HVAC_marc

    “Don't believe signature quotes.” - George Washington

  14. Likes CoolJersey liked this post.
  15. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Billington Heights, NY
    Posts
    21,619
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rcstl View Post
    I do not have time for idiots on my ignore list. Do you?
    Quote Originally Posted by rcstl View Post
    “Don't believe signature quotes.” - George Washington
    So, you have time for idiots on the ignore list?

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    29,964
    Post Likes
    No.

    PHM
    -------


    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    As an FYI - most traps now accept the non-flared part of a pipe with a separate gasket and seal correctly.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    29,964
    Post Likes
    A prohibition on S Traps will not have any bearing on this job as what he has, and needs, is a P Trap. <g>

    He just has it assembled incorrectly.

    PHM
    ---------



    Quote Originally Posted by rcstl View Post
    And to think we are making these assessments from four or five pictures over the internet, shuh. My take was correct. The tail is slanted, it is too long, the gasket was positioned upside down, S traps are not code in many places and there is NO plumber in the picture.

    So there!
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

  18. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bridgeton, MO, 'burb of St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    7,582
    Post Likes
    This whole thread is an example of trying to communicate over the web... PHM and I are saying the same thing except I say there is NO plumber in the picture. Fill that void to fix things....


    If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!


    Regarding Russian Roulette; five out of six players think it is a safe, enjoyable game!

    "And I've been banned twice. What of it? If you aren't getting banned once every 3 years, you aren't trying." Brian8383

    "it's actually 90 right now in this shaded area of satan's butthole." - HVAC_marc

    “Don't believe signature quotes.” - George Washington

  19. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Billington Heights, NY
    Posts
    21,619
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    No.

    PHM
    -------
    Yes, mine do, all of them. Where do you get your parts?? to make a seal, all you need is a fraction of an inch of pipe beyond the ferrule. the manufacturer allowed for more than that.

  20. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Northern NV
    Posts
    2,574
    Post Likes
    Glue the damn thin up with PVC or ABS and be done with the leaks.... Those Box store plumbing traps are almost worthless...

  21. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,604
    Post Likes
    Need to move the sink to the left, flip the trap around, and swivel it to make everything square. BTW that Trap is probably damaged from the way it was installed, and will never seal.

  22. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    29,964
    Post Likes
    I get them at the plumbing supply house usually.

    That swing joint he can't get to seal is not a gasketed joint. It is a union-type seal with two machined parts forced together by an external threaded ring. There is no insertion depth there at all.

    PHM
    ---------



    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    Yes, mine do, all of them. Where do you get your parts?? to make a seal, all you need is a fraction of an inch of pipe beyond the ferrule. the manufacturer allowed for more than that.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

  23. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Billington Heights, NY
    Posts
    21,619
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    There is no insertion depth there at all.
    Mine are different. I can put both the machined ends together, or one machined end and one bare end with a compression ferrule and make a seal.

    I'lk see if I can dig one out for a picture. The OP's main problem is that it is so crooked he doesnt have enough sealing surface to make it work. Most gasketed joints will handle up to 10 degrees of offset before they leak.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •