Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Utility Sink Drain Pipe Leak

Post Likes

Utility Sink Drain Pipe Leak

I've attached several photos to show where an old utility sink was removed and a new one was put in, however, the drain pipe on the new one leaks badly. In the pictures, where I've detached it is where it leaks. I'm a novice w/this stuff and just wondering what the fix is. It has a gasket as well but am I missing any parts? I've also attached pictures of the overall drain pipe setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    The tailpiece is too long and you have that part which is leaking installed wrong. Flip the part that's leaking end-for-end. Them cut off the tailpiece so that it fits into the socket of the U bend.

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by shobuddy View Post
    I've attached several photos to show where an old utility sink was removed and a new one was put in, however, the drain pipe on the new one leaks badly. In the pictures, where I've detached it is where it leaks. I'm a novice w/this stuff and just wondering what the fix is. It has a gasket as well but am I missing any parts? I've also attached pictures of the overall drain pipe setup.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

3. Likes dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The sharp part of the gasket goes into the U part of the trap. If it is reversed it will leak. No "S". The gasket is just backwards. And twist it so you get a straight run to the trap.

You need a plumber, I looked back at your pictures and I just saw more issues. It is worth the money.....

If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!

Regarding Russian Roulette; five out of six players think it is a safe, enjoyable game!

"And I've been banned twice. What of it? If you aren't getting banned once every 3 years, you aren't trying." Brian8383

"it's actually 90 right now in this shaded area of satan's butthole." - HVAC_marc

“Don't believe signature quotes.” - George Washington

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rcstl View Post
    The sharp part of the gasket goes into the U part of the trap. If it is reversed it will leak. No "S". The gasket is just backwards. And twist it so you get a straight run to the trap.

You need a plumber, I looked back at your pictures and I just saw more issues. It is worth the money.....
    Thank you for the responses. Do you know how much a plumber would charge for a job like this. Just a ballpark figure.

Post Likes
    Step away from the pipes and call a plumber. The tailpiece is too long, the trap is done wrong, and parts are used incorrectly. We cant discuss pricing on here but it should all be done easily in less than an hour, drive time included.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    Step away from the pipes and call a plumber. The tailpiece is too long, the trap is done wrong, and parts are used incorrectly. We cant discuss pricing on here but it should all be done easily in less than an hour, drive time included.
    That is what I was trying to say... But my keyboard only has so many keys. and I used them all

If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!

Regarding Russian Roulette; five out of six players think it is a safe, enjoyable game!

"And I've been banned twice. What of it? If you aren't getting banned once every 3 years, you aren't trying." Brian8383

"it's actually 90 right now in this shaded area of satan's butthole." - HVAC_marc

8. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    That is what I was trying to say... But my keyboard only has so many keys. and I used them all
    Im just saltier lately

Post Likes
    ^^^ Ha Ha!

If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!

Post Likes
    This advise is not accurate.

The non-bell end of the trap requires a specially molded ridge on the end it mates with - not a loose gasket. It is a union / swing-joint - not a gasket joint.

The gasket will only seal the joint at an insertion socket.

In the posted pictures the specially made end is attached improperly at the pipe coming out of the wall. That piece is installed with it's ends reversed.

PHM
    ------------

PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    This advise is not accurate.

The non-bell end of the trap requires a specially molded ridge on the end it mates with - not a loose gasket. It is a union / swing-joint - not a gasket joint.

The gasket will only seal the joint at an insertion socket.

In the posted pictures the specially made end is attached improperly at the pipe coming out of the wall. That piece is installed with it's ends reversed.

PHM
    ------------

As an FYI - most traps now accept the non-flared part of a pipe with a separate gasket and seal correctly.

Post Likes
    And to think we are making these assessments from four or five pictures over the internet, shuh. My take was correct. The tail is slanted, it is too long, the gasket was positioned upside down, S traps are not code in many places and there is NO plumber in the picture.

So there!

If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!

14. Likes CoolJersey liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I do not have time for idiots on my ignore list. Do you?
    So, you have time for idiots on the ignore list?

Post Likes
    No.

PHM
    -------

As an FYI - most traps now accept the non-flared part of a pipe with a separate gasket and seal correctly.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    A prohibition on S Traps will not have any bearing on this job as what he has, and needs, is a P Trap. <g>

He just has it assembled incorrectly.

PHM
    ---------

And to think we are making these assessments from four or five pictures over the internet, shuh. My take was correct. The tail is slanted, it is too long, the gasket was positioned upside down, S traps are not code in many places and there is NO plumber in the picture.

So there!
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    This whole thread is an example of trying to communicate over the web... PHM and I are saying the same thing except I say there is NO plumber in the picture. Fill that void to fix things....

If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!

Post Likes
    No.

PHM
    -------
    Yes, mine do, all of them. Where do you get your parts?? to make a seal, all you need is a fraction of an inch of pipe beyond the ferrule. the manufacturer allowed for more than that.

Post Likes
    Glue the damn thin up with PVC or ABS and be done with the leaks.... Those Box store plumbing traps are almost worthless...

Post Likes
    Need to move the sink to the left, flip the trap around, and swivel it to make everything square. BTW that Trap is probably damaged from the way it was installed, and will never seal.

Post Likes
    I get them at the plumbing supply house usually.

That swing joint he can't get to seal is not a gasketed joint. It is a union-type seal with two machined parts forced together by an external threaded ring. There is no insertion depth there at all.

PHM
    ---------

Yes, mine do, all of them. Where do you get your parts?? to make a seal, all you need is a fraction of an inch of pipe beyond the ferrule. the manufacturer allowed for more than that.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    There is no insertion depth there at all.
    Mine are different. I can put both the machined ends together, or one machined end and one bare end with a compression ferrule and make a seal.

I'lk see if I can dig one out for a picture. The OP's main problem is that it is so crooked he doesnt have enough sealing surface to make it work. Most gasketed joints will handle up to 10 degrees of offset before they leak.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast