+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What goof ball came up with this one?

Post Likes

What goof ball came up with this one?

Name:  20170313_155137[1].jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  79.2 KB

Name:  20170313_155213[1].jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  78.2 KB

Name:  20170313_155227[1].jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  67.4 KB

Name:  20170313_155251[1].jpg
Views: 1516
Size:  72.3 KB

Those sleepers are a bit special. Had to think about that one for awhile. Then I think I realized that it was okay. Might have even been engineered. Hint: The washers under the lags from the 2x's to the 4x's are all loose.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    I guess the pilot doesn't blow out any more? <g>

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Name:  20170313_155137[1].jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  79.2 KB

Name:  20170313_155213[1].jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  78.2 KB

Name:  20170313_155227[1].jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  67.4 KB

Name:  20170313_155251[1].jpg
Views: 1516
Size:  72.3 KB

Those sleepers are a bit special. Had to think about that one for awhile. Then I think I realized that it was okay. Might have even been engineered. Hint: The washers under the lags from the 2x's to the 4x's are all loose.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Heh heh, even those old BDP's had spark ignition. Or maybe it was a retrofit. Who know's. But the other ~four old units on the roof seemed to get along just fine without that additional 'wind block'.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I guess the pilot doesn't blow out any more? <g>

PHM
    --------

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes
    Do you remember the RTU's with glow coils to light the pilot? They were two-voltage coils: a few volts to keep them warm to avoid thermal shock and the full control voltage to make them glow red.

PHM
    --------

Heh heh, even those old BDP's had spark ignition. Or maybe it was a retrofit. Who know's. But the other ~four old units on the roof seemed to get along just fine without that additional 'wind block'.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

5. Likes Glennhvac liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Were those the Carrier's with the white wire with the purple stripe?

Do you remember the RTU's with glow coils to light the pilot? They were two-voltage coils: a few volts to keep them warm to avoid thermal shock and the full control voltage to make them glow red.

PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Does that POS use the g-60 controls? those were good for blowing the doors off those units.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    This one didn't. But it's so old and probably has had most stuff changed out.

Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    Does that POS use the g-60 controls? those were good for blowing the doors off those units.

Post Likes
    I remember a leaking RTU at a bar....my boss at the time sent me over to cover the entire unit with sheet metal. Ridiculous!...but I did it.

Post Likes
    Seems like a few makers did it. The ones I remember best (worst <g>) were Patco. I still have at least one of those tiny glow coils, new in the box, sitting on a shelf somewhere. Every once in a while I find it while looking for some other obscure old part. <g>

PHM
    --------

Were those the Carrier's with the white wire with the purple stripe?
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    What's the baffle for? The sleepers are genius. Is the unit floating?
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes

PHM
    --------
    didn't carrier cal them thermo pyle ignitor?

Post Likes
    I don't know and I'm not sure that I ever did. I have been trying to picture the box of one that I occasionally come across in the shop archives. <g>

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by poppa View Post
    didn't carrier cal them thermo pyle ignitor?
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Don't have a clue what the baffle is for. No baffles on other old and similar units.

The sleepers aren't floating, at least not in the true sense of the word. I have installed sleepers, designed and wet stamped by a mechanical engineer, that were floating. Don't have a clue why he designed that job that way, probably earthquake fears.

On the install in the photo here, I suspect the load is transferred through the 4x4's to beams below the roof line. The 2x4's keep the 4x4's where they are supposed to be, and would not allow for any float. Probably all in an effort to make the roofing easier and less prone to leak.

Quote Originally Posted by jnsrose View Post
    What's the baffle for? The sleepers are genius. Is the unit floating?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in