+ Reply to Thread

Thread: my new tstat

Post Likes

my new tstat

been watching it during the cold, 824 from Trane. noted it is running the ht pump at lower temps than the pro 9000 was doing. pic of odt and today's run history. Its been running the the ht pump even in the teens. tonight it ran 2nd stage hp in the teens, before shifting to gas furnace. never got above freezing in last 24 hrs.
    history is in # cycles/ # minutes run time total
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    I'm a fan of the 824.
    Have had mine about a year now.

Post Likes
    Gee, look at all that run time on quiet, comfortable low. Those dealers who love the timers would be taking that comfort away from their customers with constant cycles up to high and back to off.

4. Likes beenthere liked this post.
    Post Likes

my new tstat

So I presume you have your setup to run off the ability to reach set temp and not an outdoor lockout? 16 seer 2 stage hp?

What's the structure like in terms of tightness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    tstat is set to auto discover when it needs to switch modes. 2 stage hp w/2stage gas furnace. pro9000 would switch to gas in upper 30s.

about 90 yr old house, have added insulation in attic, and switched to sealed crawlspace. original counterbalance windows, 1960s storm windows, so windows are not the tightest, although I have added weather stripping to some of them.

load calc was 27000 +/- on cooling, 40k on heating. 60k furnace and 24k ht pump installed. I'm surprised that most of the cooling run time, even in 90s, was on 1st stage, about 90% run time. furnace didn't run at all in Nov, only just started to see 2nd stage operation when hit teens.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    tstat is set to auto discover when it needs to switch modes. 2 stage hp w/2stage gas furnace. pro9000 would switch to gas in upper 30s.

about 90 yr old house, have added insulation in attic, and switched to sealed crawlspace. original counterbalance windows, 1960s storm windows, so windows are not the tightest, although I have added weather stripping to some of them.

load calc was 27000 +/- on cooling, 40k on heating. 60k furnace and 24k ht pump installed. I'm surprised that most of the cooling run time, even in 90s, was on 1st stage, about 90% run time. furnace didn't run at all in Nov, only just started to see 2nd stage operation when hit teens.
    I'm in the process of installing my dads equipment on new build he is doing. Going with 15 seer hp single stage and 96% 2 stage propane. Wanting to play with the set points for his is why I was asking

Post Likes
    I did notice that even though was heating house seemed "colder" than when furnace kicked on, even at same house temp. likely due to air movement or the supply air being warmer. So if he's cold natured, setting the furnace to run at higher od temp would be good.
    but then the walls in my house are colder too, since you'll have better insulation and thus warmer walls.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    I did notice that even though was heating house seemed "colder" than when furnace kicked on, even at same house temp. likely due to air movement or the supply air being warmer. So if he's cold natured, setting the furnace to run at higher od temp would be good.
    but then the walls in my house are colder too, since you'll have better insulation and thus warmer walls.
    He didn't used to be cold natured but now he is. He didn't go hunting this weekend because he said it was too cold at 4*. Before it never bothered him. Guess he is getting old.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in