Thread: American Stand ACONT824, Gold XV Issues, Please Advise

Post Likes

Confused American Stand ACONT824, Gold XV Issues, Please Advise

Hi,
    I recently purchased and had installed AS Model # 4YCY5060A1115A Packaged Unit (Gas Pack).
    It is great and the install/installer is also great; however, there has been a problem with the Thermostat (lack of technical setup?). Originally, had the Acont624 Silver and the thermostat had a slow response...Anyway, they installed the Gold Acont824 (which I like better too) and the thermostat response is great (I have a smaller thermometer on top that matches almost perfectly); however, this morning (first time of real heat need--AZ) the heat came on when the schedule changed demanding a 2 degree increase. At about 26 minutes the display indicated the temperature was achieved, but the heat still kept coming until about 2 degrees above the set temp and after the heat went idle the thermostat rose another 1 degree. The thermostat was installed with all factory (MRT, MOT, Deltas, etc.) preset numbers unchanged. Is this 'normal' for the thermostat to be configured so that the heat (cool too?) blows past the set temperature (by 2-3 degrees) and why?
    Thank you in advance!!

Post Likes
    The Trane XL824 is a fantastic control.
    However, some adjustments may be required in order to achieve the tightened results you're looking for.
    This thermostat uses proportional plus integral control which basically means it calculates demand and runtime based upon distance and time away from set point temp.

With this built in programming, some users may not like the results which are intended to maintain a more consistent comfort in the space.

So, you may go into the settings and adjust the cph or cycles per hour rate. Increasing the rate will keep run times shorter and in turn tighten the temperature ranging. If you decrease the cph it will run longer cycles.

There is also a setting in the installer setup "control response rate". Faster response will again tighten the parameters.

Hope this helps
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    If you don't have the manual.

Tap menu
    Tap service
    Press and hold technician access for at least 10 sec
    Tap installer set up
    Tap up to group 2, and adjust heating cph.
    Tap done and exit installer set up.

Do not adjust any other settings. Doing so may cause system malfunction.
    Hopefully the installer wired and set up the control for 2 stage heating.

Post Likes
    Hi mgenius,
    Thank you for the great feedback. I have the sleep temp at 68 and at 7am (wake) the temp at 70. I thought the thermostat was supposed to 'recovery' and start early heat to be close or learn to be at 70 by 7am? Also, why would the 824 pass by the 'set' temp by 2 degrees and then stop? I tried to manually reduce the 'set' temp to 69 to get it to stop early. When the indoor temp indicated 71 the heat transitioned to waiting or idle but when I went to demand 70 it started right up wanting to get to 72...?
    I realize that the heat probably needs to go above the set temp so that if it maintained 70 exactly it would short cycle a lot, right?

Post Likes
    Yes, in order to maintain 70 it calculates the distance from and learned time it takes to get there. It takes into account how many times its set to run per hour.

So, it will attempt to run a user selected number of cycles per hour and then calculate the amount of overshoot it needs in order to maintain above set temp.

If the stat reaches 2.5 above set point, it has a preprogrammed auto stop. Obviously you will not see the .5 difference.

Yes, the problem with setting a high cycle rate is "short cycling". However, short cycling is not a fault of control, but a fault of the equipment capacity or output.

Keep in mind, gas furnaces are commonly oversized exacerbating the short cycling issue.

Post Likes
    The heat was set at 1st stage-5 and 2nd stage-5 cph. I increased both to 6 cph.
    That is the highest I can go.
    We'll see tomorrow AM what changes.
    Thanks!
    Both cooling stages were set at 3 (no factor for now)

Post Likes
    The heater started exactly at 7am (not early) and ran continuously from 7:00 to 7:55am. 68 degrees at 7am, 70 @ 7:27am and 72 at 7:55 am. Never did it cycle off. And then after shutting down at 7:55 the latent heat increased the temp to 73.
    I sure would like to have it shut off at 70 or 71 especially since it will probably indicate 1-2 degrees higher after the latent heat...
    And with 1st/2nd stages at 5 cph I only had 1 increase to go...???
    My heater only needs to operate in the morning (less than 1 hour per day). I think we will have a 'warm' winter this year.

Post Likes
    are you going the the AS t-stat or your "other" t-stat that is very close to it?

Post Likes
    Be sure your thermostat has the most recent software update.

Post Likes
    AS ACONT824AS52DA

Does it software update automatically thru the WIFI?

Post Likes
    Is there a way to get the 1st stage to operate more/longer before the second stage kicks in?

Post Likes
    Hi mgenius33,
    Thanks for your assistance. I have been monitoring the temp/w1/w2, etc thru the 'service' area on the technician access.
    First new question: Does the 824 have a learning capability? There is a 'smart optimization' button. The problem here in Tucson, AZ is that we only need a little heat in the AM. In the last month we have pretty much needed only about 10 hours of heat so far with probably 80% stage 1 and 20% stage 2. In the past when there was a demand for 2 degrees increase the system would run 2 degrees past the desired temp (and never more than 2.5 as you said there is a programmed set point).
    More recently, I have demanded a 1 degree or less increase (the service temp, e.g., said 71.48 and I requested 72) and the heater would come on for about 7 minutes-13 minutes with stage 1 and that was all, no overshooting the set temp. It's hard to know since I find little info and the heat demand/need is rather slim.
    In the summers when we have a large demand for cooling, will I have large cooling temperature over-shoots or is the 824 going to learn it only needs (load value learning?) to over-shoot 1 degree?
    I have read that the Emerson/White Rodgers and Honeywell T-stats are much more temperature precise (+/- 1).
    Thanks again!