Thread: Humidifier Advice? Honeywell? Aprilaire? Steam? Evaporative?

Post Likes

Humidifier Advice? Honeywell? Aprilaire? Steam? Evaporative?

Getting near the time to start using the furnace. Am looking into having a whole house humidifier installed. Figured I'd do a little homework/education before calling dealers. Looking thru various HVAC forums, trying to find a general consensus on the best solution/equipment. I did get a quote from one dealer when he was out doing annual HVAC check up, it was for a Honeywell True Steam but then I googled it, seems to be lots of issues so figured go to the forums & get some opinions. Have lots of questions?
    Also was thinking of going to some new housing developements & see whats being installed on new construction?
    1. Honeywell vs Aprilaire vs Trane (that's my current equipment)? From what I'm reading, it seems Aprilaire is given high marks over Honeywell? Or stick with Trane?
    2. What technology? Steam or Evaporative? The steam units seem to be way more expensive then evaporative and seem not to be highly thought of overall, I'd imagine they cost way more to install etc. Plus my circuit panel is pretty full, not sure if enough space for another 220V connection. Curious about the running costs? Efficieny? Reliability? Maintenence?
    3. Plus where to install it? Supply side? Return side? Is it better to use hot water versus cold? Plus better to use regular water line connection over one of those saddle valve things?
    Trying to get an idea of the complexity, I figure the more complex, more the install costs.
    My equipment is a Trane XV90 controlled by XL950 thermostat. My house is large, there's 2 systems one for first floor and another for 2nd floor. But the kids are gone, 2nd floor is pretty much unused now.
    Gotten a lot of good advice off this forum over the years.

2. Likes jaw444 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I like the aprilaire 800 steam model, especially if you have a heat pump. Evaporative type uses a lot of water for little effect.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ksefan View Post
    I like the aprilaire 800 steam model, especially if you have a heat pump. Evaporative type uses a lot of water for little effect.
    Agree.

I have one and it does just fine on 120V.

OP is asking a lot of questions.

Most bypass humidifiers are the same, just a different name- Carrier, Trane, Honeywell, etc.
    They should be used with HOT water for best results.

Honeywell's TrueSteam was a disaster, first generation. They have made some changes to the second generation and seem more like the AprilAire 800.
    I have no experience with the Honeywell 2nd generation.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    First truesteams were a nightmare. 2nd gen looks like a reverse engineered aprilaire with less features, I have only installed one. An 800 on 230 volts should be all you need.

Post Likes
    Aprilaire 600A.

Mounted on return duct, with bypass connected to supply.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    To get moister in the air it is hard to beat steam
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buttwheat View Post
    To get moister in the air it is hard to beat steam
    If you need a steam humidifier, the reason you need it should be examined first. A heat pump, understandable. A gas or oil furnace, may have far more infiltration then your home should have.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Gas furnace, very dry air, the cracks in would floor get bigger

Post Likes
    I agree with beenthere. If a bypass can humidify my old house, it is capable of handling any house. I would go with Aprilaire. I have installed them all and it is simply the standard.
    You have to fight through some bad days to earn the best days of your life.
    You can learn something from EVERYONE.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If you need a steam humidifier, the reason you need it should be examined first. A heat pump, understandable. A gas or oil furnace, may have far more infiltration then your home should have.
    Im just saying steam is the best at getting moister in the air. Is it right for everyone? No Do I have one in my house? No I have a bypass humidifier
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    General, or aprilaire.

Evaporative, aka bypass.

I wouldn't worry about the ones that automatically open and close the bypass damper either.

Something simple, easy, and effective.

Here's a good question for you:
    How much do you want to pay a year to maintain the humidifier?
    Good steam humidifiers have the element and canister changed yearly. This can be quite costly.
    Which ever dealer recommends a steam humidifier, ask him how he charges to replace the canister yearly.

Bypass humidifiers use a cheap panel. Works great.

I've got some steam humidifiers in special applications.
    One is a house where a guy demands 55% RH year round. After 3 years, I got tired of arguing.
    Another is a organ room for a mansion.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted