Thread: Which Thermostat for New American Standard Silver 16 System?

Post Likes

Which Thermostat for New American Standard Silver 16 System?

Hi you'll. Need some expert advise from Pros here!

I am getting 2 new Am Std Silver 16 systems for me home - 3T Single Stage Compressors with 60K 80% eff furnaces:

Compressor: 4A7A6036J
    Furnace: AUD1B60A9H31 High Eff multi-speed Motor, non-variable speed.
    Evap Coil: 4TXCB004

I would like WiFi enabled programmable thermostats. The contractor had originally proposed Honeywell Pro 6000, which is not WiFi capable. He gave me an option to upgrade to Am Std Silver24 (upcharge $95) or Gold 824 (upcharge of $180). I have seem Honeywell 9000 Series at my friend's home - though I think that may be the retail version (from Amazaon). Is there is a Honeywell model that would be a good option? How would it compare to the two Am Std models?

Any recommendations & Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

CDM523

Post Likes
    How about RTH9580WF 1005 or TH9350WF 5003 models? Are they professional or retail models? How would they compare to the two Am Std models?

One of the consideration would be how easy it would be to add additional home devices to this so-called SmartHome hubs? Is Am Std a proprietary one? Which brand will have more devices compatible (e.g., home lock, smoke and CO alarms, home security systems, etc.).

Would welcome any advice from any experts on this subject.

Thanks again,

CDM523

Post Likes
    Ecobee3 is really neat. Lots of online info on runtime vs temp.

The 824 is a good control as well. Nexia for locks, etc.

Post Likes
    Thanks, @BaldLoonie. I looked at Next v3 too - very interesting, but has minor issues (based on reviews). I think I may go with the ACONT 824 from Am Std, as the HVAC contractor will include that in the labor warranty and maintenance. I am planning to add additional home devices that are Nexia compatible. However, it is $180 option to upgrade from Honeywell Pro 6000 model. I am hoping it would well worth it.

CDM523

Post Likes
    They still make the focus pro 6000 wifi although i like the 824
    living in hot humid Houston i would want a varible speed blower motor .
    has you contractor varified that that 2 3 ton units are what you need ,how big is the house

Post Likes
    Thanks @catmaran for your suggestion.

My house is approx 2500 sq. ft. - 30 years old, very inefficient, above average heat load for our area (Houston). I independently checked with pros in this forum - @lkapigian helped me with load calcs and system sizing. None of the 12 contractors I got quote from did (or promised to do if I gave them the job) manual J calculations. Most of them probably do not know how to do it! Even those who have been in business for 10+ years and have excellent reviews and references. I am still not 100% sure, but after 4 months of trying, I have given up trying to find a contractor that will do it and do it right.

I also used "freeware" loadcalc.net that someone suggested in this forum. Took some learning and few trials, but I could get something decent (Finally, could put to use my engineering degree!). Besides I am selling this house in another 2 years, so any issues resulting from load calculations and sizing would be short term. But thanks for your concern and for watching out for me.

BTW, between Honeywell 9530WiFi, Am Std Gold 824 and Nest 3.0, which thermostat would you recommend? Is it worth paying $180 premium for 824?

CDM523

Post Likes
    One thing EVERY TECH on here will agree, no Nest

Post Likes
    I have the 850 controller and love it