+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WaterFurnace ATV045 Smoking - bad capacitor?

Post Likes

Exclamation WaterFurnace ATV045 Smoking - bad capacitor?

We moved into a house last year which has a WaterFurnace ATV045 4 Ton Geothermal system installled. It's been working fine, for both heat and cooling, until last night, when kids smelled weird smell (like burning wire insulation) in ducts, and upon investigation, my wife sees smoke (smallish amount) coming out of the upper left of the unit. I shut off both breakers to the system, took the panel off, and there's a rather charred area, which looks like a capacitor, with several wires attached, which have clearly been subjected to heat.

Can anyone confirm whether this is a capacitor, and if so, what size/rating? Or anywhere I can get a circuit board diagram?

And would replacing it likely "be enough" or is this failure indicative of likely larger/other problem?

I'd like to post an image, but looks like it only supports URL's?

Post Likes
    there is no way for us to identify anything with the info you provided. we can't give d.i.y. advice per site rules anyway. this sounds like a job for someone who familiar with waterfurnace. there needs to be some diagnosing done before the unit gets put back in service. typically when wires burn as you describe there is a problem other than a cap.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieWonKenobi View Post
    We moved into a house last year which has a WaterFurnace ATV045 4 Ton Geothermal system installled. It's been working fine, for both heat and cooling, until last night, when kids smelled weird smell (like burning wire insulation) in ducts, and upon investigation, my wife sees smoke (smallish amount) coming out of the upper left of the unit. I shut off both breakers to the system, took the panel off, and there's a rather charred area, which looks like a capacitor, with several wires attached, which have clearly been subjected to heat.

Can anyone confirm whether this is a capacitor, and if so, what size/rating? Or anywhere I can get a circuit board diagram?

And would replacing it likely "be enough" or is this failure indicative of likely larger/other problem?

I'd like to post an image, but looks like it only supports URL's?
    You need more Posts to be able to post images.
    None the less, you need a diagnostic as well.
    Where are you located?

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in