Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brand-new split system, terrible results, am I over-expecting? Did I under-buy?

Post Likes
    Well, to be fair, this was the original sales guy (family company, owner-related) in my estimation coming out to make sure there is actually a problem so he could escalate it, I didn't take too much from it other than a senior engineer type would be out on Friday to deal with the problem. At that point I'm hoping we get a properly measured load and some form of check that there is no remaining leak. That would be the pressure test, right?

Post Likes
    Yes they need to pressure check it by the book and then recharge by the book adding what is needed if they can remember how long the line sets are to each head.
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

Post Likes
    What's the tolerance for error on those measurements? i get the sense they're measuring the lines now that it's an issue...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    Nope. I'm always open to the idea that I'm wrong and have no idea what I'm talking about, but I can comfortably say these guys don't know what they are doing. Refrigerant doesn't get trapped due to lack of oil or because of a bend in a pipe. If the pipe is kinked it will slow the flow of refrigerant or possibly stop it if it is completely kinked. Here is a picture of a kinked soft copper line. Unless it looks like this or worse, refrigerant is not being restricted. And if there is a kink causing a restriction, which it doesn't sound like, no amount of oil will fix that.

Please don't let them put oil in your system.

I'm not sure if you mentioned it earlier, but where do you live? We might be able to find a qualified tech to look at your system.
    Long Island NY. My old stomping grounds. Sucks I moved to Texas to get away from issues like this lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    We can control fire & ice.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameismonkey View Post
    Thank you all for the extremely informative and helpful replies. Had a guy visit today, the current "official" diagnosis is something along the lines of "refrigerant trapped in the line where it bends" and "we're going to add some oil", so, that will happen Friday and I'll post an update then. To be fair, the customer service has been brilliant, very responsive. But still, got a humid, hot house and the units that _do_ work are starting to make those rooms smell a bit funny. methinks I'll be re-buying some window units for the interim pretty soon.
    Call New Tech Mechanical Systems and tell them Hans referred you. Enough with this other company.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    We can control fire & ice.....

Post Likes
    They must:

Recover the entire charge and weigh it. Compare it to the original factory charge + or - the line set length.

If under charged find and repair all leaks.

Perform a triple evacuation down to 500 microns.

Then recharge the entire system with virgin refrigerant.

Contact the manufacture with model & ser #'s and what this contractor has stated.
    http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/about-us/contact-us

7. Likes hedrash, ckelley3 liked this post.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123