Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Insulation Size on Lineset

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    15
    Post Likes

    Insulation Size on Lineset

    Talking to contractors about installing a minisplit in bedroom over garage. This was an addon and the current HVAC is undersized with extra 700SF of space. So -- remove this separate area from existing HVAC (which was designed for existing house) and give it it's own "zone"

    Doing a little research and asked if line set was purchased from company making them in USA, asked about insulation on lines.

    He said they use a 1/4", 3/8" copper lines, with 3/8" insulation. Obviously the only thing variable is the insulation.

    I looked and noticed some lines (Mueller) are available with 3/4" insulation. Depending on final position of compressor looking at around 15-25 feet to compressor. Yeah there are some with 1" insulation but in larger sizes (which we don't apply) and longer lengths.

    Contractor says no point in thicker insulation on copper lines. And linehide will need to be bigger, and cost more too.

    We are in Western NC, the part of NC that's in Zone 4 -- *but* my elevation is so high I would be better classified as a Zone 5

    Does having more insulation on lines matter? It's an addon, so most lines will be outside house. Some under a deck so no linehide there to keep run shorter and lessen angles. Probably about 8-15' non line-hided (no sun exposure)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Billington Heights, NY
    Posts
    21,619
    Post Likes
    Every minisplit line set I ever had came preinsulated. I think the max thickness of those is 3/8-1/2 inch.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    29,861
    Post Likes
    So far as I know; Mueller is the only company producing copper in the US today. So there's a vote for using it.

    Tell them you want the standard insulated line set used and then have them add another 1/2" or 3/4" layer of the same type of pre-formed, but weather-proof, pipe insulation over that original insulation. The inside diameter of the over-layer just has to be the same as the outside diameter of the original insulation.

    PHM
    -------





    Quote Originally Posted by czeetah View Post
    Talking to contractors about installing a minisplit in bedroom over garage. This was an addon and the current HVAC is undersized with extra 700SF of space. So -- remove this separate area from existing HVAC (which was designed for existing house) and give it it's own "zone"

    Doing a little research and asked if line set was purchased from company making them in USA, asked about insulation on lines.

    He said they use a 1/4", 3/8" copper lines, with 3/8" insulation. Obviously the only thing variable is the insulation.

    I looked and noticed some lines (Mueller) are available with 3/4" insulation. Depending on final position of compressor looking at around 15-25 feet to compressor. Yeah there are some with 1" insulation but in larger sizes (which we don't apply) and longer lengths.

    Contractor says no point in thicker insulation on copper lines. And linehide will need to be bigger, and cost more too.

    We are in Western NC, the part of NC that's in Zone 4 -- *but* my elevation is so high I would be better classified as a Zone 5

    Does having more insulation on lines matter? It's an addon, so most lines will be outside house. Some under a deck so no linehide there to keep run shorter and lessen angles. Probably about 8-15' non line-hided (no sun exposure)
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    15
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    Every minisplit line set I ever had came preinsulated. I think the max thickness of those is 3/8-1/2 inch.
    Yes, it's a question of do I say "yeah, the 3/8" insulation lineset you want to use is fine" or "I would rather you purchase a lineset with 3/4" insulation"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    15
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    What he said is "the refrigerant moves through the lines so fast that the insulation doesn't do much, just prevents sweating. Once you have enough to prevent sweating extra insulating value doesn't do you any good"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    29,861
    Post Likes
    This would be an energy transfer lie.

    PHM
    ------



    Quote Originally Posted by czeetah View Post
    What he said is "the refrigerant moves through the lines so fast that the insulation doesn't do much, just prevents sweating. Once you have enough to prevent sweating extra insulating value doesn't do you any good"
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Billington Heights, NY
    Posts
    21,619
    Post Likes
    the insulation is there to prevent condensation and to prevent the refrigerant from picking up excess heat from the ambient air. Once it is inside the speedi-channel cover it wont matter anymore. you'll never see a performance issue with the basic 1/2" insulation vs 3/4".

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •