Thread: Trane XV80 and American Standard 4A7A7048 Bad Install Help

Post Likes

Angry Trane XV80 and American Standard 4A7A7048 Bad Install Help

My compressor died last week so we decided to replace the whole AC. We knew it was coming and since the old system was R-22, I didn't want to put any money into the old system. I had done a little research before hand, but was forced to replace quickly when it broke due to it being July in Texas. I had a list of contractors I wanted to use and started calling them. I picked factory authorized, NATE certified contractors, with good Angie's List, Yelp, and BBB ratings, hoping that would protect me. I was only able to get two quotes, as the other three contractors were booking 2-3 weeks out. I picked the contractor who seemed to have the best price and the most knowledge. He recommended replacing my old Trane 4 ton 19 seer 2 stage 2 compressor with the American Standard 4A7A7048 17 seer 2 stage 1 compressor while keeping my Trane XV-80 furnace. I was comfortable with this since I know Trane and American Standard are the same thing. I did load calcs, and I got that I needed 3.5 tons, but since the two stage only comes in whole tons, I was comfortable with the 4 ton (especially with the 2nd stage). I know, I should have made them do load calcs, but no one I talked to seemed to do anything more than 400sqft/ton.

Here's where the problems started. I asked some questions just to make sure based on what I've learned from this site. I made sure he flushed the old refrigerant lines and pulled a 350 micron vacuum. He said he pulled 500 microns and held it because that's all his top of the line gauge could do. Red Flag #1. Once the finished the install, the next day I went up to check their work. They had wired the thermostat y1 and y2 to ylo and y on the furnace. From the compressor he wired y1 to y1 and y2 to R. He put the float switch in the drain pan and had it cut the R/y2 line. They set the fan to run at 350 cfm per ton. So basically on this 4 ton system, when the thermostat called for y1, the fan was only producing 175 cfm/ton (my understanding is Ylo is 50% of the CFM of Y) since the compressor was always running in second stage by connecting it to R. I read the manual and it clearly states for this AC, to connect Y1 to Y and y2 to BK (and cut W14 and jumper O to R). Running this way for 24 hours, I'm lucky I didn't freeze up my coils. I fixed the wiring myself since they couldn't seem to understand that you don't want to use the Ylo. (Red Flag #2).

He also installed dampers. But he put the flex duct over the damper handle, so he cut the duct to gain access to the damper handle. Genius. So now I have a decent size air leak.

The other problem I noticed is the coils are dripping out of the case on the far side (opposite side of furnace). To me it seems that the slope is not right. Am I correct? Is this a problem? It seems like you'd get water pooling up on that side which would cause problems. He came out to "fix" it today, but it still doing the same thing.

My other question is, how in the world are you supposed to find an AC contractor who is not worthless? I feel I took all steps reasonable to find a good contractor on such short notice. I've got one other system that is 15+ years old, that I will likely have to replace soon. How do I find someone to do a decent job?

I've got another contractor coming on Friday that I've used for service that seem knowledgeable. I'm going to have them go over the new system with a fine tooth comb to make sure there are no other major problems. If there are problems, I want to get resolved ASAP. I feel like if I as a homeowner found this many problems, who knows how many other problems with the install there are.

As for the Yelp and Angie's List reviews, I guess all those people just don't know any better. That's what I seem to find with AC contractor reviews. The general public is so ignorant that they only rate people based on price and how friendly they are. They have non clue if the work was done correctly.

Thanks for any help this forum can provide on getting these problems fixed!

Post Likes
    Angie's List, BBB are a pay for good review site.
    Sorry it sounds like you've had a bad contractor. Wait until Friday and see what the next guy says. I hope he a little better.

Search our contractor locator for other options.
    Where in Texas?

3. Likes doug1111 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    You know more about the stuff than he does.

What stat are you using? I see the new A-S/Trane stats use BK for blower speeds and Y1 and Y2 wire straight outside. With other brand stats, need to do it by the install manual. You're right, Ylo is left over from the 2 compressor units and give you 50% airflow on Ylo.

Holding a 500 micron vacuum isn't out of line. Our guys using a 1/2" vacuum hose and not using a manifold can get a lot lower but at least he had a gauge and proved it held.

Post Likes
    I'm using the Ecobee 3 thermostat. And I'm located in the DFW area. Just realized tonight that this site has a contractor lookup. I will be utilizing for my next system replacement.
    Last edited by puckhead47; 08-01-2016 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Add to text

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Angie's List, BBB are a pay for good review site.
    Sorry it sounds like you've had a bad contractor. Wait until Friday and see what the next guy says. I hope he a little better.

Search our contractor locator for other options.
    Where in Texas?
    X2 ^^^ (non emerg.) Shop & buy when you don't need it. Buy cheap & replace more often. $500.00 a month buys good reviews. 19 SEER?? Will system last long enough to get to the break even (pay back? ) Call backs?? They don't care you paid it forward & they will just make things worse. Laughing all the way to the bank? Peppered your angus???

Post Likes
    Follow up question for everyone. Since he did such a bad install, I worried about how long this will last. I think I want to get the 10 year labor warranty. He is trying to sell me one through an third party insurance company. Is there anyway for me to buy the American Standard labor warranty? Also, I'd prefer to not buy from him, since I don't want him to get another penny from me.

Post Likes
    American Standard is no longer in the labor warranty biz. They have a 3rd party, maybe AIG. We no longer use them. When they had their own coverage it was great.