Thread: Understanding difference in equipment: Amana versus Daikin

Post Likes

Understanding difference in equipment: Amana versus Daikin

I'm writing to try to understand the differences, if any, between Amana and Daikin AC and furnace equipment. I've received quotes for both, and am having a hard time determining, apart from the much better Daikin warranty, whether the actual equipment (e.g. the compressor in the AC, etc.) is different/better in one system versus the other.

To be more specific, the Daikin system would include the DX16SA AC and the DM96VC furnace, while the Amana system would include the ASX16 AC and the AMVC96 furnace.

Both systems are 16 SEER single-stage ACs and 96% variable speed furnaces. The Daikin system quote is about $1000 more than the Amana quote. Of course part of the price difference can be explained by the warranty, but I'm wondering whether there are important differences between the two brands (both of which, I think, are owned and produced by Daikin) or whether the only other real difference is the name on the system.

I appreciate any information you can offer. I realize that the company doing the installation and support is probably the most important component, but am comfortable with both companies that have provided the quotes.

Thanks in advance for any information you can offer, and apologies in advance for the ignorance that I'm sure is apparent in my questions!

Post Likes
    Diaken OWNS amanna/goodman... if that tells you anything.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    and a good chance they have the exact same Copeland Compressors in them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    Thanks! I guess I'm trying to determine what to take away from that information. For example VW owns Porsche, and there are pretty big differences between the two brands, but in other cases (e.g. in the home appliance industry) the sense I have is that the differences are only cosmetic. Are the differences between Daikin and Amana cosmetic or substantive?

Post Likes
    I'd say between the models listed, little difference between Daikin and Amana other than warranty. The Daikin A/C has a 6 year replacement warranty if the comp fails, the Amana lifetime. Daikin has 12 year parts if registered, Amana 10 year. I'd think wholesale costs would be fairly similar, dealer markup and labor costs have a lot to do with it. Same dealer or different dealers?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I'd say between the models listed, little difference between Daikin and Amana other than warranty. The Daikin A/C has a 6 year replacement warranty if the comp fails, the Amana lifetime. Daikin has 12 year parts if registered, Amana 10 year. I'd think wholesale costs would be fairly similar, dealer markup and labor costs have a lot to do with it. Same dealer or different dealers?
    Thanks! Different dealers. The Daikin dealer offers 12 years parts AND labor on both the AC and furnace.

Post Likes
    Then you're paying a healthy chunk for the 12 year labor. But as cheap as today's stuff from all brands is, can be a wise investment. Goodman used to do their own labor warranty which was easy to work with. Not sure if they still do or use a 3rd party or maybe this is the dealer's own warranty.

Post Likes
    The dealer may be including purchasing an extended labor warranty with the product. Some will only sell new equipment that way.

There is no difference between the brands other than the badge and possibly the Amana having a stainless steel primary heat exchanger. Not sure if the Diakin is stainless or aluminized steel.
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Post Likes
    The dealer may be including purchasing an extended labor warranty with the product. Some will only sell new equipment that way.

There is no difference between the brands other than the badge and possibly the Amana having a stainless steel primary heat exchanger. Not sure if the Diakin is stainless or aluminized steel.

P.S. Just checked their site. The Diakin HX is stainless.
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Post Likes
    There all junk

11. Likes buttwheat, lions_lair liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Then you're paying a healthy chunk for the 12 year labor. But as cheap as today's stuff from all brands is, can be a wise investment. Goodman used to do their own labor warranty which was easy to work with. Not sure if they still do or use a 3rd party or maybe this is the dealer's own warranty.
    Warranty is still in-house. Not 3rd party. Obviously dealer can do whatever but OEM labor warranty is in-house.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    Be careful of dealer offered extended warranties. Get the facts in writing and check who is it underwriting it sometimes it is just the dealer and when they shut their doors you have nothing.
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    Thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge! I really appreciate it. (I opted for the Amana system.)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in