Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What vacuum pump are you using

Post Likes
    Have a 5cfm JB Platinum 2-stage and a 6cfm JB Eliminator for a back up. I think the Eliminator is single stage though.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    JB Platinum 5CFM and 7CFM (added Kf16 x 3/8" NPT flange adapter in place of intake cross on 7 CFM, but haven't tested yet.

I was considering a NAVAC 8 CFM but I'm not sure on ecm vacuum pump yet. The fieldpiece seems to have issues and every JB Platinum vacuum pump I've had never had a problem.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytefog View Post
    JB Platinum 5CFM and 7CFM (added Kf16 x 3/8" NPT flange adapter in place of intake cross on 7 CFM, but haven't tested yet.

I was considering a NAVAC 8 CFM but I'm not sure on ecm vacuum pump yet. The fieldpiece seems to have issues and every JB Platinum vacuum pump I've had never had a problem.
    Not much reason to get the NAVAC 8 when you already have the 7 cfm JB

The NAVAC 12 cfm is a different pump. Has a oil pump and spec'd to 5 microns.

Post Likes
    Anyone using the Appion TEZ8 Vacuum pump? I like how it has 1/2”, (2) 3/8” and a 1/4” ports. I wish it had a blank off valve though.
    It’s durability concerns me since I’m used to Using JB Platinum vacuum pumps.
    I’m just interested to know how many people use the TEZ8?

I like their g5 twin recovery unit but I also have a CPS TR21 but you need to use the mt69 subcooler. It is pretty fast I have to say and built well.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by David Goodman View Post
    I guess I am in the distinct minority here in that I don't believe bigger is better. I tell my girlfriend that all the time. My vacuum is a 1.7 CFM Bacharach QV2. I would have purchased a small Yellow Jacket, but they were discontinued.

It is under 20#. Less than $200 from TruTech with HVACTalk discount. Thinking about getting another one. That way if I need a bigger vacuum for a system over 7.5 Tons, then I'll just put one on the high side and one on the low side.

I try to think tactically. "Two is One, and one is none!"
    40 years ago we were taught not to evacuate too fast or moisture in the system will freeze. "If you shut off the pump and the pressure rises to 19" vacuum you have ice/ water in system". 30 years ago we used a 6 CFM pump to evac 600 ton chillers that had a tube failure with a cold trap inline to keep water out of the vac pump. I use a VOIT 1.58 CFM pump for residential: 2-stage rated for 38 microns, weight is 8.5#, uses about 4 oz oil. It pulls down to 30" fast enough and EZ carry up ladders. Systems just are not that big. J/B is the most respected. save the 10 CFM pumps for chillers.
    " The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    JB all my career.
    Congratulations on your retirement!
    " The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know"

Post Likes
    JB platinum 7 cfm for general work and small systems.

Welch 20 cfm belt drive for bigger stuff.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytefog View Post
    Anyone using the Appion TEZ8 Vacuum pump? I like how it has 1/2”, (2) 3/8” and a 1/4” ports. I wish it had a blank off valve though.
    It’s durability concerns me since I’m used to Using JB Platinum vacuum pumps.
    I’m just interested to know how many people use the TEZ8?

I like their g5 twin recovery unit but I also have a CPS TR21 but you need to use the mt69 subcooler. It is pretty fast I have to say and built well.
    I think Appion is a great company and has great products, I like the g5 recovery machine.

But the tez8 was a huge disappointment. Company I work for bought them for all the techs, the one I got wouldn't pull below 2000 microns so they fixed it. None of them would pull below 300 when connecting a micron gauge directly to the pump. They seemed fast pulling down to 1000 microns on a system then very slow after that. So I went back to using my trusty JB.

Post Likes
    Speed is more about the hoses and techniques than the cfm of the pump.

Recently pulled down a lot of individual circuits after a supermarket remodel. The biggest one was 19 doors of frozen food cases and the lines were 1 5/8 suction by 7/8 liquid around 300 ft long so a lot of volume. I used 2 trublu hoses at the rack end of the lineset and put my micron gauge in a case at the far end. 20 minutes to 500 microns! And it held below 600. Pretty impressive for that volume of piping and used pipe and cases at that, think of the refrigerant saturated oil laying everywhere.Name:  IMG_20200624_223153566.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  206.4 KB

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    I think Appion is a great company and has great products, I like the g5 recovery machine.

But the tez8 was a huge disappointment. Company I work for bought them for all the techs, the one I got wouldn't pull below 2000 microns so they fixed it. None of them would pull below 300 when connecting a micron gauge directly to the pump. They seemed fast pulling down to 1000 microns on a system then very slow after that. So I went back to using my trusty JB.
    I bought one off Ebay and it wouldn't pull below 5000 microns. Found out the push to connect fitting inside that holds a little clear hose had a bad connector. If I held it down, it would pull below 20 microns.

Talked to Appion trying to find the size of the threads on the other end to buy a replacement fitting. Told me they would send me a new one. Sent the wrong part. I forgot about it. I guess I should email them again.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I've use Black + Decker vacuum pump since last 10 years. its amazing vacuum. I purchased this vacuum in around 50$ with amazon. Recommended

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Not much reason to get the NAVAC 8 when you already have the 7 cfm JB

The NAVAC 12 cfm is a different pump. Has a oil pump and spec'd to 5 microns.
    Any spec much below 50 microns is theoretical based on near perfect condition. Mineral oils used in pumps will boil ~ 90*f / 20 microns. Most readings below 20 microns may be attributed to sensor errors.

The only reason I see for buying the larger pumps is oil capacity, low cost difference, and the light weight of some new models. Worked on systems thru 12,000 hp and never carried a pump over 10 cfm, usually 5 cfm. If I needed a larger pump a district service office or customer would provide.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ehsx View Post
    Any spec much below 50 microns is theoretical based on near perfect condition. Mineral oils used in pumps will boil ~ 90*f / 20 microns. Most readings below 20 microns may be attributed to sensor errors.

The only reason I see for buying the larger pumps is oil capacity, low cost difference, and the light weight of some new models. Worked on systems thru 12,000 hp and never carried a pump over 10 cfm, usually 5 cfm. If I needed a larger pump a district service office or customer would provide.
    Do you have a SDS or any other document that might support your post about the oil? On that topic what about system MO and POE? I've read a bunch of posts like that over the years. When I dig for an answer I find vapor pressure way lower than any pump pump we might be using in the field.

On the larger pumps having more oil depends on the manufacturer. The smaller JB pumps have a larger oil capacity since they use the same oil cover but have a smaller pump inside. The 10 cfm has a bigger cover but has as much oil as a 3 cfm. The 5 and 7 hold less oil than the 3 and 10.

50-5 microns is far from perfect theoretical conditions. Easily measured and obtained.

Post Likes
    This is the kind of information that the manufacturer's don't publish and try to avoid giving the answers.
    I could not find any published information and had to contact their application group years ago. I've worked for equipment manufacturer's nearly 48 years and still have had problems getting information from vendors.

Per Sunisco: 4GS will vaporize ( begin to boil) @ 234*f/ 2,000 micron; 5 microns @ 70*f. Will boil sooner if contaminated with water.
    My assumption is based on that information since vacuum pumps should not use POE or PAG.

Web list motor oil boiling at atmospheric pressure ~ 600*f. Water 25,000 microns @ 78*f, so ranges sound appropriate. SDS only list 4GS boiling temp as >284*f.

Boiling points of other oils will vary. POE has a higher temperature rating, but due to absorbing moisture should not be used in vacuum pumps. Typically thermister micron gauges are more accurate than thermocouple type. Put 2-3 different vacuum gauges on the same unit and compare readings. Of the pumps I've tested some will pull ~ 20 microns, most 30-50 microns, with factory test instruments.

Post Likes
    Nucalgon vP oil SDS says vapor pressure < .5 mPa

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawnsp8ce View Post
    I got a CPS 2 stage 6 CFM that i dont like...
    i was almost buying this one, then your post made wait a little bit
    what you don't like about the CPS
    Visit our website at www.airconcomfortcooling.com

Post Likes
    I’ve been using the Fieldpiece VP85 for a year. No complaints and with two 3/8” hoses I can get a deep vacuum under 10 minutes. Less runtime, longer lifespan (I hope) and it’s cool that it will still start with only 95VAC for those commercial jobs where you need a long extension cord. The only downside is size because she is boxy compared to most pumps.

Post Likes
    I use an 8 CFm Navac Pump to pull a good quick vacuum on small systems and residential.I usually use with a Manifold .When I want to get a serious vacuum I used my Fieldpiece VP85 with the large TRUBlue hoses, core removers and no Manifold.I use two large hoses directly to the VP85 manifold.I pulled a 10 ton system down to 300 Microns in 40 minutes.I did change the oil once with the pump running.I put the micron gauge on the port of the core remover.When done,I shut off the core removers.Remove hoses and let the vacuum sit to check the system.It usually only goes up about 50 microns and sits there, If the system is tight.Then I get my scale Purge my High side hose .Charge with liquid .I don't remove the core tools and put schrader cores back in the valves until I have weighed in the complete charge.Then If necessary,I will put on a set of gauges .

20. Likes N2fords liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Would anyone suggest getting a used jb pump for some sidework, or should you just bite the bullet and get a new one

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast