+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Contract for geo?

Post Likes

Contract for geo?

I've had a geo maintenance contract with a local HVAC company, but I've read that some don't think they're really worth it because of the low maintenance. The contract includes a yearly tuneup and a slight discount on emergency service. Do you think it's worth having a contract?

Post Likes
    It really all depends on how nice of a job they did putting it in. Just like any other piece of equipment it could be very reliable if the installer did a good job.

Post Likes
    I've been through three years with my system. Haven't done a single thing to it other than change filters. Haven't needed any service yet either. I plan on checking the air coil soon to see if it needs a cleaning. If you're getting a "tune-up", I would ask exactly what it is they are doing. From my readings, the majority of geo owners go without a service plan.

4. Likes tomfox21 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Once a year they change 1” filters (40% pleated filters are extra), clean drain pan & vacuum drain lines, check pump operation for loops, inspect glycol concentration, test and adjust operation of safety and operating controls, check electrical connections for loose or worn connections, test and check thermostat controls, check for proper cooling transfer in geo coil, check electric heat (or other back-up heat source) check compressor terminals , check for proper heat transfer in geo coil. Cost = $ per year
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-09-2016 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Price

Post Likes
    Seems thorough... Only questionable point is that the 1" filter is being changed just once a year? Those filters, which I also use, tend to load up with dust, etc. quicker than that. Leaving them in too long could put stress on the system through increased pressure drop across the filter. Otherwise I guess it's a choice which brings peace of mind. I chose to install a monitoring system and keep an eye on things year-round.

7. Likes tomfox21 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tomfox21 View Post
    I've had a geo maintenance contract with a local HVAC company, but I've read that some don't think they're really worth it because of the low maintenance. The contract includes a yearly tuneup and a slight discount on emergency service. Do you think it's worth having a contract?
    Are ya feeling lucky....

We have a house that has 6 units in it and have PM'ed it for well over 15 years.
    We have found numerous Freon leaks, component problems, loop pump and loop problems.
    A lot of these problems were found on the PM before major damage occurred.

Also pricing not allowed...
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

9. Likes tomfox21 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I look at these types of contracts as quasi-insurance. If you need it, it's great to have. If not, then you'll lament the money spent. You could go either way. Here's the best concise pro/con discussion on the topic I've come across.

https://www.geoexchange.org/forum/th...81/#post-56837

11. Likes tomfox21 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I've seen a couple quotes where the installation company will provide 5-10 years labor warranty as long as you show proof of regular maintenance. I don't see how scrimping on $250/year in service maintenance makes any sense under those conditions.

13. Likes tomfox21 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tomfox21 View Post
    It depends on how important heat and cool is to you. If a problem is caught and a breakdown prevented you could avoid being down a day or 3.
    But heat in the winter probably isn't that important to you.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in