Thread: Looking For Recommendations On Gas Leak Detectors

Post Likes

Looking For Recommendations On Gas Leak Detectors

Wondering what you guys use for leak detectors on LP or Natural Gas.

I use Fieldpiece on everything else but they don't make gas leak detectors.

I'm looking for good not cheap.

Thanks in advance.
    Training is a forever thing in a good technician’s life.

I sell knowledge in the form of hours.

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    I don't have the model #, but the one I've got is made by Tiff.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Apologies. A TIF (with one less F). I have the 8800. Works just like a refrigerant sniffer. Mine has NiCAD batteries (I think) and the only issue is me not keeping it charged up. Replacements are rather pricey and I don't think there's any off-the-shelf batteries that work in them. NiCAD batteries will fail over time because they "remember" poor charging habits.

Here's an upgraded version 8800X from TruTech Tools:

http://www.trutechtools.com/TIF8800X

I know TruTech is pretty prominent here on this forum. About the same price I paid too. Works well. Simple. Just keep the sniffer screen clean and out of the kitchen grease. Also, it WILL tell you that there's a leak, but if it's a big one, soap bubbles will only isolate it down.

Post Likes
    I just bought one for dual purpose. You have to change sensor from refrigerants to gas. So far all I found was a leak in my acety tank. No way can I spell and aren't even sure if this is right. Bacarharat
    Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    Apologies. A TIF (with one less F). I have the 8800. Works just like a refrigerant sniffer. Mine has NiCAD batteries (I think) and the only issue is me not keeping it charged up.

Here's an upgraded version 8800X from TruTech Tools:

http://www.trutechtools.com/TIF8800X

I know TruTech is pretty prominent here on this forum. About the same price I paid too. Works well. Simple. Just keep the sniffer screen clean and out of the kitchen grease. Also, it WILL tell you that there's a leak, but if it's a big one, soap bubbles will only isolate it down.

5. Likes ECtofix liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    I just bought one for dual purpose. You have to change sensor from refrigerants to gas. So far all I found was a leak in my acety tank. No way can I spell and aren't even sure if this is right. Bacarharat
    So you bought a Bacharach. Good stuff there. I'd like to have their C/A, but my boss won't approve the cost.

You gotta a model # for RichO? He might go might interested.

Post Likes
    Its in the truck. Don't know if I am getting flu, but if I can tomorrow I will get the model no.
    Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    So you bought a Bacharach. Good stuff there. I'd like to have their C/A, but my boss won't approve the cost.

You gotta a model # for RichO? He might go might interested.

Post Likes
    you found a leak in one of you're own tanks you know it works

9. Likes lytning liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have the Bacharach informant II works great for both refrigerant and natural gas leaks. They do sell a model for just gas if that's all you need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I have an accutools gas leak detector. Seems to work great. Made in Florida I think. Same company as the BluVac, and we all know how good of a product that is.

http://www.trutechtools.com/AccuToolsel320

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I have a Yokagawa H-10PM leak detector I`ve owned for about 15 years. While it works well on HCFC and CFC refrigerants, it works with less ability to pick up a small HFC leak such as R-410A. Some have said because the sensing diode is designed to pick up the chlorine in the former refrigerants, it will not work for HFCs. Is that correct? This has been the best leak detector I have owned in over 50 years in the HVAC service business, and I have absolutely depended upon it. I have been retired for a few years and may not be familiar with the advancements in technology, although I do an occasional side job. I would really like to get by with continued use of my H-10, but would welcome suggestions for an added item which wouldn`t cost a lot.