Thread: Mitsubishi Mini-split and Wifi Thermostats

Post Likes

Mitsubishi Mini-split and Wifi Thermostats

Hello!

We have a new home that is heated by a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim Mini split (One outdoor unit -- MXZ2B20NA -- two indoors -- MSZGE09NA MSZGE15NA). The smaller head is in the basement, and the larger one is in our main living space, which is a combination kitchen living room.

I'd like to be able to turn on the upstairs unit using my smart-phone, and I have a Honeywell unit that was installed in our old home (the RTH9580), which I took with us because it was basically brand new (I just swapped the old one back in).

The installer tells me that they do not believe that the minisplit is compatible with any wifi thermostat except the one that is made by Honeywell specifically for Mitsubishi (the MHK1). The downside is that's a very expensive thermostat they are selling, that actually has fewer features than the one I already have. *sad trombone*

So here's the question. Has anyone tried a work-around?

In particular, I'm wondering if anyone has tried buying the connector cable that Mitsubishi sells with the MHK1 (a CN105 connector) and just stripping off the wires on the other end so they can be crimped into another wifi-thermostat's wireless receiver? If so, did it work? If not, is there any reason that I should consider not trying this? Is it possible that I might damage the circuitry of the heat pump?

So there's my big question. Thanks for any advice you can give! It's a brave new world with these heat pumps!

-Sam

Post Likes
    WE would have to warranty the work so i do not picture any one trying to do a questionable repair. Mini splits are not like a normal split system so my thoughts are no way would it work.

Way to much time invested whether it worked or not. Somebody would be paying too much to figure it out.

Post Likes
    Will not work. The MHK1 has Mitsubishi specific software. It is your only option for wifi control
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

4. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    Will not work. The MHK1 has Mitsubishi specific software. It is your only option for wifi control
    +1

The Mitsubishi uses proprietary communications to operate. The Honeywell is for conventional 24v systems only.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Post Likes
    actually there is an aftermarket one available that one of the supply houses was showing me that is supposed to work with the minit splits but i have not tried it yet so i dont really know much about it but i can call about it if i get a chance tomorrow.

Post Likes
    You lose a lot of functions. Red link stats don't have vane control or motor speed just to name a few...
    "If history repeats itself I am so getting a dinosaur"

Post Likes
    the wifi stat is called intesis you can see more at www.intesishome.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in