Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trane XV95 new install

Post Likes
    Those kits have been around for 20 years or better.....
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Harry/Meghan 2024

Post Likes
    The only problems I've seen with a concentric vent kit is when they're installed backwards (combustion air tied into straight fitting and vent tied into the 45) and if the proper clearance is not left. Both are instalation errors, not product failures. I've used many of these style vent kits and prefer them. Very clean looking and prefectly acceptable in most applications.

3. Likes HVAC_Ryan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    It is also ok to have no secondary drain with a float switch in most jurisdictions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Artietech View Post
    Found this in an attic. Both the fresh air intake and the flue pipe tied together. Was there on a social visit.

HO is supposed to call the installing contactor to fix....
    I hope you just swallow your pride and call the H.O. and save him the embarrassment and the contractor the time to come out and look at the concentric venting that you are obviously not to familiar with. Please learn about them and you will probably end up liking and using them they make for a nice clean exit of the venting out of the structure.
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    When I had to explain it to another tech that didn't understand how they work told him its a 2 inch pipe inside 4 inch. That way you have 2 inches on both. Not 100% accurate but he understand after that. I've only used it one couple times. We normally use the low profile kit I think its called.

Post Likes
    I had a buddy redo his basement a few months ago. He didn't understand what a concentric was when he re routed his flu pipe. He used a 2" to 3" wye he bought at the home depot and wondered why his furnace would only run with the door off.

Post Likes
    Yes, but must be installed on the coil, not in the package on the floor. There is a float switch on the pan under the furnace.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkovack View Post
    It is also ok to have no secondary drain with a float switch in most jurisdictions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Post Likes
    Yes, but must be installed on the coil, not in the package on the floor. There is a float switch on the pan under the furnace.
    This depends on the municipality. We put emergency drain pans in all the time with only a float switch on the pan. But they make us put locking refrigerant caps on everything......

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I have informed the HO of what they have. The contractor has to go back out to fix other issues, wrong Tstat installed, and I believe there was something else they have to do. Again I was asked an opinion and gave it.
    At the time they did this install the house was in the process of getting new roof anyway. So how did save the HO any money vs standard install? also why go almost 15ft away from the unit to vent when the HO requested the vents go straight up? what is there reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by buttwheat View Post
    I hope you just swallow your pride and call the H.O. and save him the embarrassment and the contractor the time to come out and look at the concentric venting that you are obviously not to familiar with. Please learn about them and you will probably end up liking and using them they make for a nice clean exit of the venting out of the structure.

Post Likes
    Who cares about the municipality. The float switch on the coil prevents to furnace from getting water in it. This is an upflow install. Once or if the primary gets clogged, where does the water go? I understand that in a horizontal application what you say works but for upflow?
    Quote Originally Posted by mkovack View Post
    This depends on the municipality. We put emergency drain pans in all the time with only a float switch on the pan. But they make us put locking refrigerant caps on everything......

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Now to all who have replied, thank you for the page from the manual. and thank you for your responses. The HO in question is actually my brother in law, they uses Lowe's and a local dealer because they wanted Trane. I am not a Trane dealer.
    I do understand the "how" and "why" of the concentric kits, I just believe it is more to save the contractor a little time, no the HO... as these kits cost more than standard PVC.

Post Likes
    So how did save the HO any money vs standard install? also why go almost 15ft away from the unit to vent when the HO requested the vents go straight up? what is there reason?
    They don't save money it is purely for a cleaner looking install. I can't tell you their reasoning as I am not them but to me it looks as they where trying to get it to the back side of the roof so you can't see it from the front of the house.
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    So this was doing purely for looks? Ok I guess certain home owners associations would require this. But shouldn't we as contractors do as instructed by the HO? Within codes etc...My concern comes form the way the fresh air intake is slanted, if water gets in, it has no way out. What happens to the furnace without fresh air? Also the roof cap is almost right on the roof, we have plenty of trees shedding leaves in the fall, what happens when that inlet gets leaves in it?

Quote Originally Posted by buttwheat View Post
    They don't save money it is purely for a cleaner looking install. I can't tell you their reasoning as I am not them but to me it looks as they where trying to get it to the back side of the roof so you can't see it from the front of the house.

Post Likes
    1 hole through roof, not 2. I think they look better than 2 pipes. Odds of recirculation are slim. Less likely to get leaves than an open 2 or 3" pipe.

Post Likes
    If installed like in the guide, yes I see that.
    Thank you, if you saw one installed with only about 2" of clearance to the roof, would you be concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    1 hole through roof, not 2. I think they look better than 2 pipes. Odds of recirculation are slim. Less likely to get leaves than an open 2 or 3" pipe.

Post Likes
    Evey thing I have seen requires from 12" to 18" min. clearance, AND for it to extend above the roof line. Does anyone have the current code requirements for this?

Post Likes
    Do you think you know more than the engineers that designed the furnace????? They approve of a centric vent kit and I have never had a problem with it. Hopefully you're planning to pay for the changes and not the poor homeowner who you convinced there was a problem when there wasn't one.....

Post Likes
    Only thing I'd be worried about is not having an additional strap or two for support in the horizontal run to prevent sag over time and prevent the concentric from sliding down in the flashing over time leaving your roof clearance lower than it already is.

Using a concentric is perfectly acceptable and, in my opinion as someone who roofed professionally for just about ten years and still does roof occasionally, it would be preferred as your cutting your chance of a leak in half by eliminating one of the holes. A lot of roof flashings I've seen cut in by HVAC workers around me arnt the best workmanship. We all have basements around here and do barely any attic installs so 99% is sidewall vented and not a lot of people have a lot of experience with going through a roof.

Edit: also from the angle it looks like the concentric could be pushed up higher to give the exhaust some more slope.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Engineers are people who make mistakes, just ask the airbag engineers with all the recalls. If engineers never make mistakes why do they issue service bulletins and recalls?

Reread the thread, the HO is not my customer, they simply asked an opinion and I gave it. They are aware that this is approved IF it is a concentric and not just a wye... How can you tell without pulling it apart?

It should be on the invoice, oh wait, they haven't got one....and its been over 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by James Colver View Post
    Do you think you know more than the engineers that designed the furnace????? They approve of a centric vent kit and I have never had a problem with it. Hopefully you're planning to pay for the changes and not the poor homeowner who you convinced there was a problem when there wasn't one.....

Post Likes
    My concern exactly. It extends over the roof maybe 3" to 4" at the most.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby01 View Post
    Only thing I'd be worried about is not having an additional strap or two for support in the horizontal run to prevent sag over time and prevent the concentric from sliding down in the flashing over time leaving your roof clearance lower than it already is.

Using a concentric is perfectly acceptable and, in my opinion as someone who roofed professionally for just about ten years and still does roof occasionally, it would be preferred as your cutting your chance of a leak in half by eliminating one of the holes. A lot of roof flashings I've seen cut in by HVAC workers around me arnt the best workmanship. We all have basements around here and do barely any attic installs so 99% is sidewall vented and not a lot of people have a lot of experience with going through a roof.

Edit: also from the angle it looks like the concentric could be pushed up higher to give the exhaust some more slope.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast