Thread: Aprilaire 800 in basement zone: will it humidify upstairs zone?

Post Likes

Aprilaire 800 in basement zone: will it humidify upstairs zone?

Greetings,

Anyone have a sense whether installing an Aprilaire 800 in a basement would be able to humidify the second floor to, say, 40% relative humidity? (In central jersey, where the existing home humidity levels are around 25%.)

The house in question is a 5500 square-foot two-story house with 9 foot ceilings. It has two forced air gas furnaces; one services the basement and first floor zone, and the other services the second floor zone.

I'm writing because I'm concerned that the humidity won't reach the second floor, especially when the second floor heat runs a lot on cold nights.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sincerely,
    Adam

Post Likes
    I'm inclined to think it will work. Be sure to have the humidifier wired for 240 volts for full capacity.
    Do not expect it to deliver 40% RH in a matter of days. All the porous material in the house will be absorbing moisture - carpet, wood floors and furniture, drywall, etc.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Thanks, kdean1.

Post Likes
    And prepare for a hike in your electric bill but I think it will work too.

Post Likes
    If it gets the second floor to 40% when its cold out. The first floor will probably be too high, and have condensation on the windows.

Post Likes
    you can not keep the humid air from downstairs away from the less humid air upstairs. I was told that dry air will rob humid air of its humidity.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGBOY View Post
    you can not keep the humid air from downstairs away from the less humid air upstairs. I was told that dry air will rob humid air of its humidity.
    To an extent it will. But to get his second floor to 40%, his first floor may need to be at 45 or 50%.

The moisture doesn't transfer as fast as we might like it to sometimes.

Post Likes
    had a guy in atlanta that did not believe that the u/s would benefit from the humidifier on the d/s. He put a hygrometer in the furthest room u/s from the stairs and his reading was only 5% lower than d/s.

Post Likes
    had a guy in atlanta that did not believe that the u/s would benefit from the humidifier on the d/s. He put a hygrometer in the furthest room u/s from the stairs and his reading was only 5% lower than d/s.
    Which means that the down stairs for the OP would 45%, for the upstairs to be 40%. So the OP could have condensation on his windows downstairs to get the upstairs where he wants it.

70°F 45%RH is a dew point of 47.7°F

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Which means that the down stairs for the OP would 45%, for the upstairs to be 40%. So the OP could have condensation on his windows downstairs to get the upstairs where he wants it.

70°F 45%RH is a dew point of 47.7°F
    true, but what is 5% less than your desired when the alternative could be less than 15% in the entire house with out a humidifier?

Post Likes
    true, but what is 5% less than your desired when the alternative could be less than 15% in the entire house with out a humidifier?
    All my post have been about him possibly having too high of a lower level humidity to get the upstairs to 40%. Pointing at he may want to go to a lower %RH.

Someone else implied no problem.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    All my post have been about him possibly having too high of a lower level humidity to get the upstairs to 40%. Pointing at he may want to go to a lower %RH.

Someone else implied no problem.
    I know you are correct, but I was trying to address his statement of (I'm writing because I'm concerned that the humidity won't reach the second floor, especially when the second floor heat runs a lot on cold nights.) I am just trying to say that it will reach the second floor. He makes it sound like the bottom floor will be rain forest wet and the second floor will be desert dry.

Post Likes
    I know you are correct, but I was trying to address his statement of (I'm writing because I'm concerned that the humidity won't reach the second floor, especially when the second floor heat runs a lot on cold nights.) I am just trying to say that it will reach the second floor. He makes it sound like the bottom floor will be rain forest wet and the second floor will be desert dry.
    True.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in