Thread: Thermostat upgrade

Post Likes

Thermostat upgrade

We purchased our home in August 2015, the previous owner had a reputable dealer install the following system:

TRANE COMFORTLINK™ II CONTROL

TRANE XC80

Trane XL20I

Aprilaire Model 5000 Air Cleaner

UVPhotoMAX

I installed a VeraLite Z wave controller for my lights etc., I want to be able to control my system with the Zwave and I also want want to be able to program the system with my PC. The dealer came out to do a check up and they recommended a ComfortLink™ II XL950 thermostat, which they quoted at close to $0. I don't mind spending the money if there is value but I did some research on the reviews and the ComfortLink™ II XL950 has terrible reviews. There has to be an option out there that can communicate with my system, allow remote programability and takes advantage of all the features of my very efficient system. It would also be great if it had an IOS app.

I would also like to know if it is some that could be installed by me (I am no HVAC guy but I can follow good instructions) or if it must have a HVAC tech install.

Thank you!
    Scott
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-29-2015 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Price

Post Likes
    Check into the honeywell, redlink, or ecobee, I don't know if it's compatible with your zwave, but I like the features and stats. Any good HVAC tech can make your system work with a standard 24 volt thermostat.
    There are two ways to do things, Right and Again.

Post Likes
    So I know I am answering my own thread... I found out by talking to an HVAC guy that the system I have has a unique three wire system that requires a thermostat with proprietary software (Comfort Link). None of the thermostats will work except a scant few Trane models. Further, if I was able to find one that worked it would not take advantage of all the system that is installed. There are a few Trane models that are less that would work but they are all considerably higher than the run of the mill programmable thermostats. I can purchase this on amazon (XL950) for a lot less. The Tech said since I already have the correct system, I should be able to just plug it in and it would work.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, do you think I was told correctly?

Post Likes
    I believe your installer has given you good info.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    Those systems are a NIGHTMARE, our Trane vendor is not able to provide support or parts for these. They referred me to another contractor who apparently is one of the few that understand this F'ed up mess. They even said he is the only source for NOS OEM parts

Post Likes
    We have had good results with the communicating Trane equipment.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler