Thread: Best Air Purification: Air Knight PX5 IPG, Air Scrubber Plus. other?

Post Likes

Best Air Purification: Air Knight PX5 IPG, Air Scrubber Plus. other?

Hi, I'm a homeowner checking in with the experts...

I'm looking at air purification systems to deal with "musty" air and other odors in my home. I have two Carrier systems about 1.5 years old. The duct system is ~ 22 years old and on a recent service visit my HVAC company found small amounts of mold in the supply. The main duct is metal with an insulation material inside and they said that type can support mold.

I'm looking at two air purification systems of interest: Air Knight PX5 IPG SKU:TT-AK24IPG-14 and Air Scrubber Plus airscrubberplus.com

Does anyone have experience with these to let me know what differentiates them? Thoughts on which is best? Suggestions on an alternative that's better?

Having paid $10K for the two new systems, cost is of some concern. I can get the Air Knight product online for $465. My HVAC guy has this one in his home, likes it alot and said that's below what he pays.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Post Likes
    Need to add one to my list... Guardian Air - REME Air Purification System by RFG

Post Likes
    There is a lot on controversy regarding these listed above products. Some HVAC professionals will extol their virtues while others compare it to snake oil. Type REME in the search box for a litany of opinions re that specific product.

I saw the YouTube of Air Scrubber. It is typical of many similar products. Floating "good" ions, hydrogen peroxide, ozone, etc. These a nature's natural cleaners. These product's generate something that will attach to or attack dust, molds, bacteria, viruses, etc. They will mitigate dust in the house, eliminate pet odors, increase efficiency, etc. Somehow these "good" particles will not damage the living cells on humans, just the unwanted. The marketing is very good for these products. Many people will give you antidotal positive remarks.

On the dubious side, I have not seen concrete evidence that these radical ions, ozone, hydrogen peroxide or whatever new special "smart molecule" dispersed in the air stream provides a net positive benefit for humans that HAS BEEN scientifically proven by concurring medical hospitals, government agencies, or truly independent research laboratories. ASRAE and the EPA have commented on these type of products (not specific product lines) which can be found on the web.

Personally I am an HVAC contractor for 30 plus years with family that suffers from allergies and asthma. I am still looking for the product that will help my family and customers. Good luck and buyer beware.

Post Likes
    No fresh filtered ventilation to purge indoor pollutants but an interest the exotic equipment is hard to understand.
    But anyway do it and let us know.

The basics are filtered fresh air when occupied, maintain <50%RH, and avoid any known pollutants in the home.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    I have had 2 .. The original air knight 9" was great and I loved it , when it was time to change the cell I opted to buy the PX5
    Mind you I was working for a CE distributor at the time and paid probably 1/2 price .. I have had the PX5 for a year now and still love it
    It keeps the air always smelling fresh ..no odors at all and I have 2 dogs and a toddler
    It is definitely worth it
    As far as the dust I don't see a big difference but that's what the filter is for .. My son has never had any allergy problems and I noticed we have less colds and other sicknesses since installing the first one 5 years ago
    Your AC guy is right He probably pays close to $500 for it so it's worth the bargain

Post Likes
    This kind of equipment in an air tight will not provide indoor quality. Purging indoor pollutants and renewing the oxygen are most critical issues. Filter air as best as you can and maintaining <50%RH are the starting points.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    This kind of equipment in an air tight will not provide indoor quality. Purging indoor pollutants and renewing the oxygen are most critical issues. Filter air as best as you can and maintaining <50%RH are the starting points.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    I agree filtration and and fresh air through an ERV or HRV work best
    But the air knight works best as far as eliminating odors and keeping the air smelling fresh

Post Likes
    I'd like to know more about what is going on in the house. Is humidity high? Particulates? VOCs? CO2? A NetAtMo will measure temp, RH, and CO2. A new product about to hit called the Awair will tackle the rest, I look forward to getting mine to find out how good they are.

As mentioned here, if the house is tight, you may have a fresh air problem, not a filtration one. CO2 levels will tell you that. If it's over 750 ppm consistently, I'd recommend fresh air. An HRV/ERV can be cheap, but if you have RH problems, they won't help. A ventilating dehumidifier, if you have any humidity in your climate, is a good option.

If you really want filtration, you may consider a Goodman DMH900. It's HEPA, charcoal, and UV. (Careful with the UV...)

Until you KNOW what the problem is, though, I wouldn't recommend throwing money at it. Get a datalogger and go from there. Good luck! And let us know what you find!

Post Likes
    Air Scrubber has 2 different peer reviewed, independently published studies and a certification from NASA. Peer Reviewed Science and NASA are credible, and much more so than anyone offering opinions on this forum.

Post Likes
    I am usually very weary of IAQ products and claims.As a professional in the hvac industry I've installed, tested and seen the results of these products.I would recommend the Air Scrubber Plus based on my experience with multiple products and by the results of the one I currently use in my home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes davethomas626 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Ive sold many airscrubber plus units. All my customers are happy with them. They are on the pricey side.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk