View Poll Results: The best "no bells and whistles", dependable, cost efficient brand is:

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Payne

1 14.29%
  • Armstrong

0 0%
  • Rheem

0 0%
  • Goodman

1 14.29%
  • Colman

0 0%
  • Maytag

0 0%
  • American Standard

0 0%
  • Bryant

1 14.29%
  • Lennox

1 14.29%
  • Ducane

1 14.29%
  • Rudd

0 0%
  • Amana

0 0%
  • Westinghouse

0 0%
  • York

1 14.29%
  • Trane

1 14.29%

Thread: What is the best "Fighting Brand" (Basic and dependable) no bells and whistles?

Post Likes

What is the best "Fighting Brand" (Basic and dependable) no bells and whistles?

I am looking for a basic HVAC without all the bells and whistles that is dependable and easy to work on. I work on homes for people and after some research I have realized that I do not want a top of the line HVAC brand because they cost more to begin with and cost more to repair. Instead I want a basic, dependable, cost efficient brand HVAC. I don't want the Carrier, I don't even want the Bryant, I want the Payne. I don't want an Acura TLX of HVACs I want the Honda Civic of HVACs. Single speed blower motors, less expensive control boards, etc. I call that the "fighting brand". So my question is what is the best fighting brand? My research has pointed toward Payne and Rheem and to a somewhat lower extent, Goodman.

I looked for another post but could not find one specifically on this "no bells and whistles, just dependable and cost efficient" need.

Thanks,

Post Likes
    The best installer. The Fighting brands sell to anyone with green so usually often they are sold by hacks. So if you are looking at Payne and Goodman, check out your dealers extremely carefully.

I wouldn't call Rheem a low end product though.

Our cost on a board for a single stage Trane is about 1/2 what we'd pay for a board on a single stage Payne. With a 10 year warranty, parts prices shouldn't be a big issue.

Post Likes
    That is a great point BaldLoonie. I might have my industires crossed here. I thought it was 5 years equipment (possibly 10) and 5 years parts and 1 year labor is the basic warranties involved on all HVAC companies. I did not know Trane did 10 years on parts. Thanks!

Post Likes
    Everyone gives 10 year parts to the original purchaser IF registered. Any labor is the dealer's doings unless he sells you an extended labor package through a 3rd party or his brand.

Post Likes
    Are you really going to base your purchase on an internet poll?
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    Ford or Chevy?
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Your thoughts are similar to many average consumers, but this way of thinking is flawed. You see, an air conditioner isn't anything like a refrigerator, TV, toaster or any other appliance for that matter. They are built in a factory, then shipped out and must be selected, assembled, hooked up and started in the field. Due to this, there is no "best brand". All the items you mentioned are affected by this. Dependability, cost to repair, energy efficency? All of those can be directly traced back to the quality of the original install. The most basic, easy to work on unit available in the world will be an unreliable pile of crap if it's installed wrong/poorly. Same goes for the most expensive, best unit on the market. So, that said, choose your installer rather then the brand.
    Many new units never even achieve the rate capacity /efficency they were given from the factory due to install errors.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Love the feedback!
    Last edited by MentaRockks; 09-18-2015 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Wrong comment to response

Post Likes

The who not the what is more important

Thank you rider, I am aware of that and I am sure that you and alot of others are really tired of stating the fact over and over to newbies like myself. But (and this is a big but) I have to make a judgement on what national vendor I want to use and then I get into who is going to install them. It works this way due to pricing and rebates on large amounts of volume.

Thanks for your feedback and helping the layman like myself, it is greatly appreciated to get a pros opinion.
    Last edited by MentaRockks; 09-18-2015 at 10:15 PM. Reason: responded to wrong comment

Post Likes
    Are you looking to install these units yourself?
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    No, we send all replacement work out to HVAC vendors.

Post Likes
    p

Post Likes
    Apologies for all of these responses I am trying to delete them entirely but it states I have to have at least one character and cannot fully delete.
    Last edited by MentaRockks; 09-18-2015 at 10:41 PM. Reason: figuring out how to delete a response

Post Likes
    This response is for 2old2rock's comment above (I cannot get it to stick under his response for some reason):

No I am not...but it helps. Typically I go through a 9 point process of deciding on what I use:

In HVAC look at the previous invoices to determine the most common maintenance issues.
    Check prices of material by using online stores and HVAC supply shops.
    Check our own four different price sheets.
    Check Homewyse/Angies List and other online repair guides for related articles.
    Check online forums and other online resources (youtube, HVAC talk, etc.).
    Check prices by calling vendors.
    Check by talking to experts in the field.
    Compare all gathered prices and opinions and make decision.

Please let me know if you have a better methodology. I am always looking to improve on everything

Post Likes
    http://www.angieslist.com/articles/d...vac-brands.htm ---Most common issues CAPACITORS??????

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in