Thread: Furnace humidifier or stand alone room humidifiers?

Post Likes

Hmm Furnace humidifier or stand alone room humidifiers?

I have been reasearching furnace humidifiers and the reviews are not great considering the price of furnace humidifiers. We live in central Texas and of course have horrible allergies. Three of four people in the house have had sinus surgery in the last 3 years. We currently use small humidifiers by the bed at night. Our house stays around 30 - 35% depending on outside humidity where it may rise or lower. The humidifiers raise the humidity to a tolerable 40%. I would like to maintain the 40% humidity all day summer or winter. What do you all think about furnace humidifiers? Is the cost and maintance best left with personal humidifiers? Would a furnace humidifier cause more problems than they are worth? We hired a guy to replace our duct work and now have all metal ducts. A few years ago we had a guy replace the plenum box and install a UV light due to mold allergies and a house built in 1979. I can't say if the UV light works. It may have just helped to replace the plenum box. Nevertheless, a little concerned with mold growth since we live in a warm climate.

Post Likes
    We install a LOT of bypass evaporative humidifiers (Aprilaire makes good ones). They all need to be serviced each year, but other than that work fine. If you don't or won't service them, forget buying one and stick with the portables. Are you changing the UV light each year?

Post Likes
    I had a two year bulb for the UV and it needs serviced. I am looking at doing both if I go with the humidifier.