Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Noisy Brand New GSX14 - 5 Ton - Air Conditioner

Post Likes

Noisy Brand New GSX14 - 5 Ton - Air Conditioner

We just installed a 5-ton Goodman GSX14 and my wife is going crazy with the noise of this supposedly very quiet system.

Here are the symptoms:

1. Fan Only: Just the normal wind noise.
    2. Heater running: Just the normal wind noise.
    3. A/C on: The normal wind noise plus a strong vibration sound that is centered in the indoor unit.

We replaced a 45 year old AC that did not have this problem. I can see/feel where the problem is coming from - (the right side of the unit and perhaps the left). It doesn't seem to be associated with the fan motor - very little if any vibration coming from that unit.

Any ideas?
    Is this just the way it is with a Goodman GSK14's
    What else besides the fan is running?
    Could it be a manufacturing defect or an installation problem?
    Is there an upgrade or a fix that would solve the problem and save my marriage?

ip

Post Likes
    You live in a mansion? 5 tons is an aweful lot of airflow for a residence. More than likely the duct is not big enough to handle the airflow so it's noisy.

3. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    What's the installer have to say?
    Was the system properly charged? Lineset properly secured?
    5 tons is a lot of cooling, you must have a huge home.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    The installer is coming tomorrow so I'm trying to get smart enough to deal with him. The house is 2600 square feet and two stories and the unit and the previous unit would not really cool the upstairs all that well on a 90 degree day.

Questions for you:

How would an improper charge affect the noise level?
    What is "Lineset"?

And note again, this is not airflow noise I don't believe. It sounds like a noisy pump - low frequency - easily distinguished from the airflow. You can feel the vibration by holding your hand on the inside unit. You can hear is by putting your ear against a nearby wall.

Post Likes
    5 ton for 2600 sq ft is enormous. What did the installers load calculation say was needed?
    A big unit will not overcome a poor airflow situation.
    Bigger is not better! It causes very poor dehumification performance.
    What size was the old unit?
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

7. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Excessive pressure and/or other issues can cause harmonics within the refrigerant piping.

Post Likes
    I'm in Southern California. 5 Ton is recommended for homes of 2500 square feet. That's what everyone around me installs.

Post Likes
    Rules of thumb are not load calculations. What's the indoor humidity level? And what's the temperature split between upstairs and downstairs?

Post Likes
    Excessive pressure and/or other issues can cause harmonics within the refrigerant piping.
    I suspected something like that but the vibration doesn't seem to associate with the freon lines. Could it still be the cause when the vibration is clearly within the inside/heater unit of the system?

And, if so, how would I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

ip

Post Likes
    My upstairs is loaded with computers and monitors. Hotter than a firecracker in the summer. I had to add a window unit to cool it. Easily 10 to 15 degree differential when we aren't running the AC.

Post Likes
    Yes, it could still cause vibration within the inside of the unit.

Post Likes
    Btw, you can do your own load calculation here

www.loadcalc.net

Post Likes
    Yes, it could still cause vibration within the inside of the unit.
    Best answer so far. Is there a standard procedure for correcting a problem like this?

Post Likes
    It must first be diagnosed and a source found, before a solution can be planned

Post Likes
    Line set is the copper tubing runs from inside to outside- Air handler to condenser-- Possible line set is touching on???? causing a vibration noise?? Did you have line set replaced??? TXV bulb may have been taken off to braze copper??? TXV bulb may not be mounted correctly & or loose?? If TXV bulb loose may effect charge not steady refrigerant flow (hunting?) Pics?? model# inside unit

Post Likes
    You likely wouldn't have these problem if it was sized and ducted fm correctly. 10-15* difference between floors is unacceptable I don't care if there's a tanning bed up there and throwing a bigger unit at it will only make it worse. The problem is the duct. Pictures?

19. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Please do not try to repair yourself - HIGH pressure in refrigerant lines - HIGH VOLTAGE & many other reasons!!! Can you post a video with sound????

Post Likes
    Sorry. The 10-15 degrees is without AC. That's the natural hot day temperature differential that I have to deal with. If I set the registers properly I can get the temperature difference down pretty low. But since I have an upstairs unit to cool the hot computer room I generally direct the air to living areas.

The ducting may not be great but it is just a big house with a large west facing roof that just sucks up solar energy all afternoon.

Post Likes
    OK. We do have the original Line Set and there is the same vibration at low level in the tubing. But since it is connected to the unit where I can feel the strong vibration it is hard to distinguish cause from effect.

BTW: What is the function of the Line Set?

Post Likes
    More info on the Evaporator Unit where I am getting the noise:

Aspen
    Model CE60F34310L004
    R-410a TVX Installed
    500 PSI Design Pressure

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in