Thread: Running Air Conditioner at night

Post Likes

Running Air Conditioner at night

We have a little used house in Idaho, where the Summer heat fluctuates 30-40 deg from early morning to late afternoon. The house is recently built with good insulation and double pain windows, we leave the blinds closed.

We wish to maintain a reasonable temperature while we try to sell the house. My proposal is to run the A/C in early morning to cool the house to 60 deg F, then set the day time max at 80.

Can you comment on whether this is a reasonable strategy? (Since we aren't there, we can't "open the windows", etc.)

Thanks.

Post Likes
    Why not just set it to 75-78 and leave it alone? Cooling any house to below 70* is not recommended in the summer. It can cause moisture problems.

Post Likes
    set it at one reasonable temp like 75 and leave it there. otherwise it's just wasting energy
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    That is a lousy strategy. It will not save energy. Just set the thermostat to a higher temperature to conserve energy.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    60 degrees in the morning and 80 in the afternoon? I don't see any logic in that strategy what so ever.

If you're trying to sell the house, wouldn't it make more sense to make it comfortable for people during the hours that they might come over to see it? Otherwise you might as well just winterize the house, board up the windows, and shut off all of the utilities.

You're not going to save anything by trying to over-cool the house in the morning, unless you have a substantially cheaper off-hours electricity rate. Even then, there probably wouldn't be much point.

You might be able to save a small amount of power if you set the thermostat a little higher during un-occupied times, but once again I don't see much point if it is only going to be for a hopefully short amount of time until the house sells.

I would recommend following JT's and Hvac_Marc's advice.

Post Likes
    You'll freeze it up!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    60 degrees in the morning and 80 in the afternoon? I don't see any logic in that strategy what so ever.

If you're trying to sell the house, wouldn't it make more sense to make it comfortable for people during the hours that they might come over to see it? Otherwise you might as well just winterize the house, board up the windows, and shut off all of the utilities.

You're not going to save anything by trying to over-cool the house in the morning, unless you have a substantially cheaper off-hours electricity rate. Even then, there probably wouldn't be much point.

You might be able to save a small amount of power if you set the thermostat a little higher during un-occupied times, but once again I don't see much point if it is only going to be for a hopefully short amount of time until the house sells.

I would recommend following JT's and Hvac_Marc's advice.
    OK, I thought the details were apparent, sorry.

If I cool to 60 in the early morning, then since the outside temperature is also near 60, it should be considerably easier (less energy, less cost) to cool. Since most visitors will show up between 9 and 5, the temperature that they experience will presumably be between 65 and 75, topping out at (say) 80 on an especially warm day, or later in the evening.

(The housing market is recovering and not so hot that I can assume it's a short time.)

Everyone so far thinks it's best to leave it at a set temperature; maybe that's right, although no one has satisfactorily explained why.

Thanks for the response.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pondhockey View Post

Everyone so far thinks it's best to leave it at a set temperature; maybe that's right, although no one has satisfactorily explained why.

Thanks for the response.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Cooling any house to below 70* is not recommended in the summer. It can cause moisture problems.
    As in mold inside the walls on the back of the Sheetrock, ductwork sweating inside walls etc. anything below 70 is asking for trouble.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pondhockey View Post
    although no one has satisfactorily explained why.
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    it's just wasting energy
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    As in mold inside the walls on the back of the Sheetrock, ductwork sweating inside walls etc. anything below 70 is asking for trouble.
    OK, that's fair, Thank you. I just checked the historical average dew points and for June, July, August they are 54, 60, 60, so my proposal is pushing it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post

Yes, Marc, I did hear you, but I don't understand why/how it is wasting energy, when I think it might be saving energy. I do appreciate the vote.

Post Likes
    Also, as baldloonie pointed out, you can cause the evaporator to freeze up if ran below 70* and with low outdoor temps. This causes strain on the compressor, fan motor and the coil itself. It causes liquid refrigerant to come into the compressor and can completely ruin it. Also a frozen coil can cause water/condensate problems.

Post Likes
    OK. Thanks to all.

I'll set it at 78 and leave it there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in