+ Reply to Thread

Thread: condenser and evap sizing

Post Likes

condenser and evap sizing

i dont know anything about this for starters.
    i built a 8x8x8.5 box with 6 inch solid foam hussmann walls .food comes in at 40 degrees and i need it to stay below 40.it is outside on concrete with a good door. i need to know what size of condenser and evaporator combination i need. i am stressed to the gill and do not understand the tech talk.i just want an econmical way of cooling.i have 220 volt single phase power.please help
    tony

Post Likes
    8ft by 8ft is a pretty small box.
    If I'm going to throw a RANDOM decent sized unit for a Average load not high traffic,
    You'd prolly be ok with a 1 ton med temp unit.
    However if u want it done right please give some info so a proper load calculation can be done

Post Likes
    And what do u mean starter?.

Like u don't do refrigeration or...?
    Sizing best be done by an experienced person

Post Likes
    Are you connected to the refrigeration industry or learning?

Post Likes

just looking for info

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowpill View Post
    Are you connected to the refrigeration industry or learning?
    just a one time project. I have talked with suppliers, professionals and no one seems to be able to tell me what I actually need. I want to know what size of a condensing unit(hp and btu) and what size of a evaporator(btu) to match it with. I gave details in previous thread. It will be opened 6 or 7 times a day. It gets up to 95-100 degrees in summer.(outdoor cooler)
    8x8x8.5 box
    hussmann 6 inch foam panels
    concrete floor
    needs to stay under 40 degrees at all times
    food comes in at 40 degrees

Post Likes
    and the suppliers couldn't help?

Ask where your getting the equipment.

Post Likes
    This site gives you a general idea of what you need: http://www.uscooler.com/refrigeration-sizing-estimate
    Or you can pickup a Johnstone catalog. It has some good information as well. Good luck.

Post Likes
    Refrigeration matching is different than AC. HP per ton is only air conditioning . The refrigeration supply I deal with will match me up a coil and condensing unit. They have an engineering staff although the guys behind the counter can also do it . Most supply's only deal in AC . If you are pricing unit you have to remember there are more components to figure in for refrigeration and the equipment is expensive . You can go tin can or semi hermetic also a big price difference . No one wants to sign their name to something that they haven't seen .

Post Likes
    I forgot to mention the humidity level is also a major consideration for lettuce and vegetables . This also effects the selection of equipment.

Post Likes
    refrigeration + one time project don't really go well together... it's not just the sizing, the installation needs to be done properly too

Post Likes
    You might want to check with companies that sell small walk in boxes that have a self contained unit that mounts on the top. If you are going to use this box in a building or out side you have to take into consideration that winter operation will require some heat to prevent product from freezing. if it is located outside, in my area a permit is required for even a lawnmower shed , Hope you have permits for the structure .... If you talk to the manufacturer of these self contained units they might help you ,because it will become a structural installation and not a refrigeration install. Much like a window ac or a motor home ac. I cannot offer any low cost methods because there are none that I know.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in