Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lifting/Rigging Tool´s for Trane CVHF 1280 Compressor teardown/overhaul.

Post Likes
    Do you have the drawings/prints for these trane tools?

Post Likes
    Yep can make them for you

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JEF1980 View Post
    Yep can make them for you
    How much?

Post Likes
    So I have a question, when a motor is pulled , and to be reworked/ well to be dipped and baked, inside cleaned and new bearings , What all replacement items are needed ? I have ordered the bearing set and refrigeration gasket.
    I have ordered # 8 but it 2-3-&5 required? Obviously we don’t want a leak , also what about 22&27? Are those even gaskets ? I can’t tell and get get a response from parts . Thx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1B37FBA2-BF3D-4A0A-8459-7732F0CC1A4A.png   6487A2C9-F31B-4E3C-AEF2-F96FD7C0D794.png  
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Post Likes
    If you are sending the motor to Trane for repair you need none of those, the motor will come back complete with new bearings and motor terminal gasket and O rings, you wont need to do anything to all of that, just order a motor change out kit from parts. If you were just doing it yourself you would just need the terminal brd gasket (8) and the terminal O rings (2). 22 & 27 are O-rings for the front and rear bearing housing covers, again if Trane is doing the motor those will all be done when it comes back. Be sure and pull any oil fittings and any other fittings off the motor, you wont get them back when the motor returns.

Post Likes
    The owner only wants a dip and bake- so they don’t want a trane Remanufacture, the owners are doing this part of the 10 year PM and well due to leaks -
    So , new purge, gaskets , bearings , oil system to include pump , motor heater ect
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
    The owner only wants a dip and bake- so they don’t want a trane Remanufacture, the owners are doing this part of the 10 year PM and well due to leaks -
    So , new purge, gaskets , bearings , oil system to include pump , motor heater ect
    So your pulling the motor apart and taking it to a local motor shop for baking ? Then you will need 2,8 for the terminal board and terminals, the o rings for the bearing housings 22 and 27,the bearings obviously and I would order the bearing cap gaskets for 9 and 25 although I don't see the gaskets on your parts diagram

Post Likes
    If I may interject....why would you not sent the motor to Trane to have the work done..... They will put the brgs. in for you and test run the motor.

If you have it done by a Trane office as a rnewal you will get an extended warranty ….it think it is 5 years on the motor.

There is quite a bit of equipment that you will need to pull and install those ball brgs your self.....and I don't see how the motor will be returned to you unless the rotor is out of it if the motor shop doesn't install the brgs.

Depending on the age of the machine you may or may not be able to order a motor changeout kit.....the later models you have to pick out the parts yourself....and it appears from the drawing you have attached this machine would fall into that category as there is no oring for part # 20

That vintage would not have gaskets on the brg caps and you would not need # 3 unless it is damaged that is the terminal stud. 22 and 27 are orings

Also with the rnewal the oil pump comes as a kit....if this is a machine with the dual shaft oil pump motor....those have to be built on the sump head...they do not come assembled.

Post Likes
    Trigger, I would
    Much rather put in a Remanufactured motor that comes from the factory. Our office is purchasing the bearings and we will provide to the motor shop. I am concerned that even tho the motor is sent to a qualified motor shop that there be leaks ,
    This is why I am trying to get all the correct parts so when they pick up the motor that they will have everything thing that they need . You are correct trigger, I don’t have the tools to do the bearings, and they are expensive.
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Post Likes
    Trigger, I would
    Much rather put in a Remanufactured motor that comes from the factory. Our office is purchasing the bearings and we will provide to the motor shop. I am concerned that even tho the motor is sent to a qualified motor shop that there be leaks ,
    This is why I am trying to get all the correct parts so when they pick up the motor that they will have everything thing that they need . You are correct trigger, I don’t have the tools to do the bearings, and they are expensive.
    Well of course you can do what you want but I am not sure the what the advantage is in you sending it to some random motor shop and not sending it to Trane. With the Rnewal program you will get an extended warranty.
    You will get the same motor back that you send to Trane ….unless there is significant iron damage you will not get a different motor.

If the motor shop is not experienced in hermetic motors I would not let them do the work.

You are not saving much buying your own bearings if that is the driving force behind what you are doing here....sleeve and ball bearings are not much.

What will be expensive is if you have to go back into the machine once it is reassembled.

When you say our Office.....do you work for a end user or a contractor

If you work for a contractor I guess I see what you are trying to do by not having the Trane Office do the work but you could still send the motor to Trane motor repair shop.

Short of that I would send it to Excel Hermetic ...you will get the same quality work but without the extended warranty.

https://xcelhermeticmotors.com/

Post Likes
    I don’t want to talk to much about #’s here in the forum , if I sent to trane for a reman , it’s a 2/3 more on the cost. If the customer only wants a dip and bake then that’s what he gets if that makes since , the motor has tested good and since the machine is open and doing an overhaul they wanted to balance, bearings and bake the motor . 10k ohms vs 30 k ohms .
    So there are 4 770 machines here - we bid on the the 3rd and they wanted a reman , on this one they only want a bake , obviously bearing will Need to be replaced, 2k ohms on the bearings.
    I did check out excel motors . I like it - I will be keeping that info- thanks for the lead my friend.!!
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Post Likes
    I don’t want to talk to much about #’s here in the forum , if I sent to trane for a reman , it’s a 2/3 more on the cost. If the customer only wants a dip and bake then that’s what he gets if that makes since , the motor has tested good and since the machine is open and doing an overhaul they wanted to balance, bearings and bake the motor . 10k ohms vs 30 k ohms .
    So there are 4 770 machines here - we bid on the the 3rd and they wanted a reman , on this one they only want a bake , obviously bearing will Need to be replaced, 2k ohms on the bearings.
    I did check out excel motors . I like it - I will be keeping that info- thanks for the lead my friend.!!
    Got it

Excel is a good bunch....Cecil....the guy that started the company ran the Trane motor repair shop for years.

13. Likes Nuclrchiller liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I'm curios about the talk of the need to dip and bake the motor. I've done probably 60 overhauls in the last 27 years and never sent one to Trane to have that done. We do the bearings in the field 95% of the time. The times that we send to Trane or Xcel for shaft work they do the bearings but on those occasions they don't dip and bake the motors.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by always looking View Post
    I'm curios about the talk of the need to dip and bake the motor. I've done probably 60 overhauls in the last 27 years and never sent one to Trane to have that done. We do the bearings in the field 95% of the time. The times that we send to Trane or Xcel for shaft work they do the bearings but on those occasions they don't dip and bake the motors.
    I would agree with that ….short of a motor being rewound or it there is an obvious visual signs of insulation issues ….we don't just send them out to be dipped and baked.

We do on occasion send the impellers to be cleaned and rebalanced.

There has also been no mention of whom will be rebuilding the vanes......they need to take special attention to the drive ring clearances....those are normally a lengthy lead time....so I would check that early on.

But as I was telling "The Milk"...Lol......In the Trane Rnewal Program if the motor is over I believe it is 20 yrs old it must go to Motor Shop to get the new extended Warranty that comes with that program.
    I believe they do redip as part of that program. A motor that is under that age requirement we put brgs in it on the job new orings and gkts and they get the same warranty.

I don't think his motor would fall into the category pf being over 20 yrs by looking at the parts list he provided.....it is at least of the vintage that they have started taking out some of the gkts and orings.

The other point I made was if you get an Rnewal the oil / ref pump comes as a kit and you don't have to pick out the parts and pieces

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by always looking View Post
    A Trane motor engineer once told the class I was in that the centrifugal motors are designed to last a continuous 20 years at 311F without a winding insulation breakdown. Now we have all seen a failure occur at a much lower temperature and much sooner than 20 years, however, just dipping and baking seems over the top unless there is some evidence of stress (acidic oil/refrigerant, low Meg reading, mechanical failure, etc).

Post Likes
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2E9D03D6-24D3-4771-BE2C-EC03770048CE.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	534.3 KB 
ID:	822994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A2D5AE9B-546E-499E-92D8-9B92E5FC06F4.jpeg 
Size:	489.9 KB 
ID:	822995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36A3AB8B-9273-436F-BC0F-0BFB905035EB.jpeg 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	822993Here are a few photos

Well, I’m trying to add photos of the tear down and motor disassembled.

Motor tested good and everything looks great inside.
    I don’t know what I did to post the other pics and why I can’t now lol.

We did the vane rebuild . Teflon gaskets , needle bearings , set pins and oil 22 is all that was replaced . Maybe an hour to rebuild. The old needle bearings were a little worn and were a little stiff .
    Last edited by milkyway; 03-20-2021 at 07:43 AM.

Post Likes
    So - motor repair shop said that ( # 4 , the diagram I previously posted ) in the diagram is slightly
    Oval. He requested a new one - have any of you experienced this ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9F0DC0BA-16A8-46DA-BDFF-6F9E72FDE1EC.jpeg   B10DDB97-7F35-49D9-A1D9-48094501A6A9.jpeg   FEAB62E3-DC36-43B6-A84F-14B84A1ADA5A.jpeg  
    Last edited by milkyway; 03-23-2021 at 03:21 PM. Reason: More info
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Post Likes
    The nut is 4?

Post Likes
    My apologies-
    In the diagram I previously posted in this thread.
    However I am referring to the rear bearing on the motor.
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Post Likes
    Its a inexpensive part usually check shaft and replace how far out is it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast