Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Dust throughout the house

Post Likes

White Dust throughout the house

Over the past 4 weeks there has been an abundance of thick white powdery dust that has accumulated throughout the house. More so in the master bedroom. Any thoughts on this. I have added a air purifier (high end to correct this issue) and it does nothing but clog up the purifier. Any thoughts on this. I don't run the air conditioner often yet as the temps here in Las Vegas have not hit uncomfortable proportion yet but I don't imagine it will be much longer.

Post Likes
    Atomizing humidifiers with hard water have this effect. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Last time I saw this, a UV light was eating the media air cleaner.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    Possibly a leaking dryer vent. Could be fine lint. I find this more times than not.
    Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

Post Likes
    I have also seen UV lights eat up filters and cause this problem...

Post Likes
    Hey Spotts you in the middle of the fires in Colorado right now??

Post Likes
    need more info is your house on a slap or a craw iv seen this happen when the pipes in the slap gets old

Post Likes
    Ive seen it from bypass humidifiers too.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PAPAJOE1212 View Post
    I don't run the air conditioner often yet as the temps here in Las Vegas have not hit uncomfortable proportion yet but I don't imagine it will be much longer.
    Is this a new house?

Post Likes
    The high end purifier may be removing the contaminants in the air that make dust a dark color and now the staining agents are being removed and now the dust is appearing white. Just a thought.
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Post Likes
    If its a new house or you have done recent remodeling (drywall, inside french drains, etc.) then the dust is likely from those projects.

If not, 4 weeks ago did you or someone else in your home remove and inadvertantly reinstall a dirty filter backwards?

Ron
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing well at what others say can't be done at all!

Post Likes
    do you have a whole house humidifier? if so the evaporating water leaves behind minerals( which is a white powdery substance) that will go throughout the house. routine maintaince and a flush cycle can easily get rid of that.

Post Likes
    sheetrock dust, humidifier residue, new white carpeting, cocaine(jk), has this been happening for a long time or something new?
    You can't fix stupid

Post Likes
    Electronic Air Cleaners can also create a white dust

Post Likes

Smile DuctZ

If it is coming from your ductwork, then you need to call a good duct cleaning company. If you do, then i would call DuctZ, they will clean the coils,blowers and every part of the unit that conditioned air comes in contacts with.They are the largest ductcleaning company in the world.

www.ductz.com

www.nadca.com

Post Likes

white dust

white dust is normal for any building or house.You need to dust your building or house like a maintenence program for your ac or heating unit.The darker the dust the more often you need to dus.This is comercial cleaning 101.I am a janitor and Im in school for hvac.Just thought id say hi and make a comment.

Post Likes
    Could be a rotting evap.coil.
    seen that before

Post Likes
    I too have seen that ultrafine white powder and it was coming from the humidifier. It takes about a 12 MERV filter to grab it. But as others said, there are other sources for it.

If you do have a humidifier, that's an easy place to start. Make sure there's no water going through it and pull the water panel out to eliminate that as a possible source.

Post Likes
    I like that Options. A filter installed backwards by the homeowner. Could see that happenin for sure!

Post Likes
    I have been in old homes with quite a bit of white dust coming from leaky return air ducting that was located in an attic. The leaks were so small (but numerous) that it pulled in the fine insulation dust from the attic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast