Thread: Does my AC unit include heating? Which option would be good for central heating?

Post Likes

Does my AC unit include heating? Which option would be good for central heating?

Hi,

I have a basic HVAC question. I have an outdoor Rheem AC unit 13AJN36A01 installed in 2014 (by builder before i moved in). However this unit doesn't seem to have central heating enabled. Do I need to install a separate new central heating unit? There is a Rheem water heater furnace installed in the home but looks like not connected to any AC ducts. Can a forced air system be connected to furnace or should I remove the central cooling unit and get a new heat pump that can provide both heating and cooling?. I live in san jose , CA so won't need cooling as much as heating. Thanks for any advice.

Post Likes
    An online search shows that your outdoor unit is an air conditioner only. The term "Rheem water heater furnace" is contradictory. It is either a furnace or a water heater, not both.
    I suggest you hire a contractor to look at your system(s). He can identify what you have and service it while he's there.

Post Likes
    Hi Dean,
    Thanks for your reply. The water heater model is rheem xg40t06ec36u0 and its for water heating only it seems. What kinds of central air heating systems can I consider?

Post Likes
    That outdoor unit is hooked to something that is blowing air. If it is just a blower unit, electric strips can be added for heat. Find the indoor machine hooked to the ducts and look for a model #. Occasionally there is a water coil in the blower unit and hot water from the water heater also heats the house.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bazinga View Post
    Hi Dean,
    Thanks for your reply. The water heater model is rheem xg40t06ec36u0 and its for water heating only it seems. What kinds of central air heating systems can I consider?
    The information provided is not sufficient for a good answer.
    Geothermal systems are the most expensive but lowest operating costs.
    Electric heaters are the least expensive but cost the most to operate.
    The best system for you is probably in the middle.
    Again, work with a good contractor who can help you decide and have him service your equipment.

Post Likes
    88 Hours at < 38'F; > 88'F

8,600 hours per year at > 38'F and < 89'F.

SAN JOSE INTL AP
    37.36N 121.93W
    Elevation 49 feet

99.6% __ 99.0%
    35.7'F ___37.8'F

Dry Bulb /Wet Bulb
    0.4%
    92.3 /66.9

1.0%
    88.6 /66.2

2.0%
    84.8 /65.1

Heating Degree Days (HDD) 2033
    Cooling Degree Days (CDD) 717
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    What is your thermostat MFG/model?
    What is the circuit breaker size to Air Handling unit?

House Size?
    Ranch or 2-story
    Year Built ?
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    I find it impossible to believe your house is not heated. Most likely, the heat is not working. Call any service company in the book, and they will look over what you have and inform you what is needed to fix it.

My bet is the electric strip controller is broken, and needs replacement.

You DO NOT want to try and work on this yourself.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Brand new house with no heat? Call the builder.
    Want to REALLY save energy? Tighten up the house/ductwork and downsize the HVAC system. Smaller units keep stable temps, dehumidify better, run quieter in addition to using less power.

Post Likes
    supply grills will give you a hint as to where
    to look for heating system.
    if supplies are in the ceiling, look in attic.
    if in floors, look under floors crawl/basement.

there is some kind of heat to be sure.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    Looks like a mobile home water heater from the XG40 part #.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in