Thread: Going paperless with QuickBooks?

Post Likes

Question Going paperless with QuickBooks?

I am advising an HVAC owner friend on software and IT to help him reduce his paperwork burden. We plan to do as much as possible using QuickBooks Online, but I assume it will not handle all of the paperwork. Is this the case? What does QuickBooks not do or not do well that we should be aware of? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    I've used QuickBooks for over 10 years. If it has any limitations it's that it's complicated. I use a bank that allows you to download your daily transactions into QuickBooks. It's important that you sort those transactions by class (income, Sales, Expense, etc) regularly (at least once a week) or you'll fall behind. I have separate checking and credit card accounts that I use only for business related expenses. If you accept credit cards make sure they post to your checking account.

If you do the above you'll always know what your bank balance is and when you file your taxes you just export into Intuit's tax software and it will create a 1040 Schedule C for your tax return. If you use an accountant to file your taxes most support QuickBooks.

QuickBooks Online will do anything that QuickBooks on your local computer will do. The only issue I have with it is if your internet is down you can't get to it. I like it because I have a laptop with internet and printer in my truck. I create an invoice at the job and present it to the customer. If you take a cash payment you have to put it in the bank or your books won't balance.

I also use a piece of software called Act!. It is a Customer Relationship Management tool that keeps your customers Name, Address, Phone, E-mail, etc and has fields that let me record the Model Number, etc of the customers equipment and make notes on what I've done on each call. If you are disciplined and keep it up to date it's worth it's weight in gold. I've had customers call and they were impressed when I could tell them what they had, when I was last there and what I did. Unfortunately it's only good if you keep it up to date.

Post Likes
    Thank you for the info. That is very helpful. I have a quick follow-up question if you don't mind. How do you complete your estimates and pm checklists?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cquillen View Post
    Thank you for the info. That is very helpful. I have a quick follow-up question if you don't mind. How do you complete your estimates and pm checklists?
    QuickBooks will allow you create an estimate and turn it into a Job if it's accepted. For PM's I have a single line item's in QuickBooks that bill for them and create the checklist in Act! and save it to their customer profile. I take it you're familiar with QuickBooks. I would suggest that you download and install an Evaluation copy of Act!, your friend can do so as well. It's a great tool if your familiar with it but it does have a learning curve. There's a guy on Ebay that sells it Google WebCommunityProducts and you'll get a link.

Post Likes
    Kraft master I use quickbooks too. Where do I get or find ACT. I'm interested in it. Right now I just make a folder with customer info in it.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbryan7766 View Post
    Kraft master I use quickbooks too. Where do I get or find ACT. I'm interested in it. Right now I just make a folder with customer info in it.
    Search for Sage Act in Ebay. There's a guy doing business as Web Community Products. He has links in his store that allow you to download a demo copy. You don't have to use the latest and most expensive version. Dad also mentions ESC in his post. I've used it as well but it's designed for larger shops and is more expensive.