+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curios about fair wages

Post Likes
    It seems very difficult for a Resi HVAC Tech to make a decent living working for someone. A few guys claim to be making very good money doing Resi, but it seems they make 50/50 between wages and spiff/commission.

Post Likes
    Hey buddy listen stop making excuse for business owners ok you should making a decent livable wage aren't you a family man? You should be making atleast 30 an hour so cut it out man and defend what your worth ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toone75 View Post
    I agree.

My call backs are around 15% because my company includes any reason we have to return to the house. For example if we have to order the part or if we come back to install a humidfier; equipment or accessories
    How are parts runs callbacks?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MechTech2013 View Post
    How are parts runs callbacks?
    That's how they do it

Post Likes
    Sounds like time to move on.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    I don't understand how parts runs are your problem. 15 percent callbacks are seriously effecting your margin. Your grade for review will be lowered. Like the other guy said, sounds like it's time to move on.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MechTech2013 View Post
    I don't understand how parts runs are your problem. 15 percent callbacks are seriously effecting your margin. Your grade for review will be lowered. Like the other guy said, sounds like it's time to move on.
    I agree but the main factor that Is stopping me is how it will effect me getting my licens

Post Likes
    Lol...

You now have the tools, the certs, and the experience. Time to leave.

I haven't seen your work but if it's good I wouldn't accept anything under $25/hr if I was in your shoes.
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    That salary look like you were living in south texas....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by btuexpert View Post
    That salary look like you were living in south texas....
    The area he's in makes his salery really surprising.
    That's a huge, highly competitive area. Even for a small residential company that wage wouldn't keep any employees for very long at all in that area.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    The area he's in makes his salery really surprising.
    That's a huge, highly competitive area. Even for a small residential company that wage wouldn't keep any employees for very long at all in that area.
    It's the biggest company in the tri state area. They sponsor pro teams and on almost every radio station.

The only reason most people stay is because of the training and the hours keeps us Busy year round.

I guess it's like what auto mechanics choose between foreign dealerships that pay less but they get more hours or American car dealership that pays more but less work

Post Likes
    It's the biggest company in the tri state area. They sponsor pro teams and on almost every radio station.

The only reason most people stay is because of the training and the hours keeps us Busy year round.

I guess it's like what auto mechanics choose between foreign dealerships that pay less but they get more hours or American car dealership that pays more but less work
    That's apples to oranges.

Post Likes
    Here that the entry level for a state work. .. i dont know how to know my real price

Post Likes
    Happy Sunday; I don't post much but I love reading and learning from all you guys.

A little background about Me.
    I live in the DC metro and work for the biggest company in the area. Mostly doing residential. I'm suppose to be a service tech but bc I'm a former college linemen I get stereotyped as a installer.
    I also assist with generators.

In hs I did 2 years of hvac at my local vocational school. Nceer level 2. I was only the second in 20 years to ever get to level 2. Also Was student of the year.

After football I went a community college and got a certificate in hvac, I would have received my associates in hvac but I found out I was going to be a dad and needed a job.

So currently I have been at the same company for 3 years. I have done everything: duct cleanings, service, maintenance and installs; generators and water heaters. I also re stocked all the trucks and did the warehouse inventory. And I brought one of my friends in. I'm also on call every other Saturday for installs and at least on call for the whole week 1 time every month.

Basically the benefits and training is good. We can take the trucks home which is nice. But we only get paid driving to other calls.

I'm a journeyman gas fitter wssc and my application for journeyman hvac is under review I also plan on getting my plumbing journeymen.

Longterm I plan getting my masters in hvac plumbing gas fitters and electrical

Currently I make 16 per hour. That's after a $3 raise I received this month
    It may be me but I'm a little confused about your expereince. It seems you have app 3 yrs plus schooling. Correct me if I'm wrong. Your employer seems a little tight both when it comes to pay and bonuses-spiffs. A $3.00 raise was a nice gesture and signifies some committment and confidence it seems. If you have 3 yrs expereince and have been doing duct cleaning, warehouse, install etc.... it has to be light on service-demand where the money will come faster. I see a lot of techs with 3 years expereince that think they are further along than what they really are. You will notice that most service jobs want 5 plus years and that may mean doing strictly service. While your work in school may be exemplary it really just gets you in the door for an entry level position in most cases. At this point it is kind of like a PHD student talking about what they did in high school. It's not that relevant anymore imo. You have received a lot of good advice here. If you find a job and give notice be ready either for a raise or to leave immediately.
    If I am wrong about your expereince forgive me and good luck

Post Likes
    What ever you do dont move to Ky wages here 67 percent below the national average in the filed

Post Likes
    Happy Sunday; I don't post much but I love reading and learning from all you guys.

A little background about Me.
    I live in the DC metro and work for the biggest company in the area. Mostly doing residential. I'm suppose to be a service tech but bc I'm a former college linemen I get stereotyped as a installer.
    I also assist with generators.

In hs I did 2 years of hvac at my local vocational school. Nceer level 2. I was only the second in 20 years to ever get to level 2. Also Was student of the year.

After football I went a community college and got a certificate in hvac, I would have received my associates in hvac but I found out I was going to be a dad and needed a job.

So currently I have been at the same company for 3 years. I have done everything: duct cleanings, service, maintenance and installs; generators and water heaters. I also re stocked all the trucks and did the warehouse inventory. And I brought one of my friends in. I'm also on call every other Saturday for installs and at least on call for the whole week 1 time every month.

Basically the benefits and training is good. We can take the trucks home which is nice. But we only get paid driving to other calls.

I'm a journeyman gas fitter wssc and my application for journeyman hvac is under review I also plan on getting my plumbing journeymen.

Longterm I plan getting my masters in hvac plumbing gas fitters and electrical

Currently I make 16 per hour. That's after a $3 raise I received this month

ridiculous!!

you shoulda walked long ago, but I understand your reservation...

tools>>>employer pays for it all 'cept common hand tools, or if you want to keep them
    wages>>>find out what your local UA is paying and tell your boss to match it at your level
    van>>>don't think as it is a perk ITS YOUR OFFICE.

I hope you are being paid overtime properly.

seriously

find a local ua, get the contractor list, and find a position in commercial/indust side company that will treat you fairly...

Post Likes
    Yeah, right. Might as well ask for Health and Welfare plus Training. I believe he's better off somewhere else.

Post Likes
    Toone75, I have been working in the HVAC field here in northern Virginia since 1993.. $16 around here, is a joke.. As for getting your hours.. Every company I have worked for will work you to death if you want the OT and getting 40 hours even during the slow winter months has never been a problem for me... If you tell them you are planning on leaving they well offer you more money.. Works ever time.
    Good luck

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in