+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pesto

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Just buy already growing basil plants and keep pinching off the tops to make them bush out. But even just growing from seed you still have time. Basil grows fast.

In NJ I cannot grow mint - it just won't grow. But I can't move anything in the yard without finding another basil plant poking it's head up. It re-seeds itself all over the yard like a weed.

In Florida I have somewhat of a hard time with basil - the leaves fade to beige and sometimes even the still-green leaves gets lots of black spot on them. And I have no use for mint here.

Who can figure it out? <g>

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I remember hearing the term sweet basil. Seems late in the season to get something going, but maybe I'll try something now instead of waiting till next year.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    We have about 15 basil plants going and an almost equal amount of tomato plants. Not enough to make pesto...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    How do you make out with basil at your house? Say; last year?

I'm thinking about building a raised bed - like a looooong window box planter along my back fence, to grow the basil in. In the pots and planters on the ground it doesn't do well. Full sun, half sun, early sun, late sun - it never seems happy.

What soil are you planting it in?

Rosemary, oregano, chives, thyme, parsley - all fine here. Basil? Not so much. <g>

PHM
    ----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    We have about 15 basil plants going and an almost equal amount of tomato plants. Not enough to make pesto...

PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Year before last i worked in 600lbs of decomposed manure and 600lbs of topsoil into a 15x4 space. Last year i did a few bags of each and always use a mild fertilizer.

This year i just did some fertilizer and buried some fish in the spot.

Its sad because now you cant even tell I added all that soil. It just looks like sand again. What you really need is clay worked in to hold the nutrition. Our basil does ok, none of the symptoms your describing. Our tomatoes grew like a weed but got a pretty low yeild IMO. Once summer kicks in you get alot of flower rot.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    How do you make out with basil at your house? Say; last year?

I'm thinking about building a raised bed - like a looooong window box planter along my back fence, to grow the basil in. In the pots and planters on the ground it doesn't do well. Full sun, half sun, early sun, late sun - it never seems happy.

What soil are you planting it in?

Rosemary, oregano, chives, thyme, parsley - all fine here. Basil? Not so much. <g>

PHM
    ----------------

Interesting problem as Rosemary, oregano, thyme are all mint family. Usually a weedy problem once established.
    If you ever have a need to know, all the mints have a square stem (stem to flower) so they are easier than many other plants to ID. In the wild there are lots of mint varieties.
    Often it's said herbs like poor soil. Maybe true they grow in poor soil but give them some of the good stuff and they grow better. Even though plants seem to have attitude with me I have seen what other successful growers do. I thought if I copy their methods I too will prosper. NOT!
    I even bought some soil that I was told if this won't grow your plants, they are dead. Well they soon were.
    But I can grow cactus...
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Might be a pH problem. Most plants like something just a bit on the acid side. If neutral or alkaline, then the plants cannot absorb the nutrients. Could be the water or the soil.

Proper pH, a loose soil, nutrients, and light is pretty much the recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Interesting problem as Rosemary, oregano, thyme are all mint family. Usually a weedy problem once established.
    If you ever have a need to know, all the mints have a square stem (stem to flower) so they are easier than many other plants to ID. In the wild there are lots of mint varieties.
    Often it's said herbs like poor soil. Maybe true they grow in poor soil but give them some of the good stuff and they grow better. Even though plants seem to have attitude with me I have seen what other successful growers do. I thought if I copy their methods I too will prosper. NOT!
    I even bought some soil that I was told if this won't grow your plants, they are dead. Well they soon were.
    But I can grow cactus...
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Saw this live basil at the store, so I figured I'd pick some up. Still had roots attached.

Name:  20190414_114804.jpg
Views: 5315
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:  20190414_114815.jpg
Views: 5352
Size:  97.5 KB

Post Likes
    Funny thing is, that Live Basil looked worse than the Dead Basil I bought at the farmers market, LOL

That Live Basil isn't intended to plant, supposed to pluck off leaves as needed, but figured I'd cut it up and see if it wants to grow for me.

Name:  20190414_114825.jpg
Views: 5349
Size:  120.3 KB

Post Likes
    Another batch of pesto. Added another teaspoon of vinegar, to see if the color lasts longer.

Did the same double up on the garlic. Hot on the tongue now, but after two days, it's like golden nectar.

Name:  20190414_151331.jpg
Views: 5436
Size:  71.5 KB

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Might be a pH problem. Most plants like something just a bit on the acid side. If neutral or alkaline, then the plants cannot absorb the nutrients. Could be the water or the soil.

Proper pH, a loose soil, nutrients, and light is pretty much the recipe.

I wish it was that simple. What we fight here is 8" rain/year and over 1 mile in altitude.
    The altitude makes sun shine very different. People do grow food here but it's just harder. Those that take the effort can do ok.
    First is do something about the sand box. This is how barter might have started. I'll trade ya some cactus for basil.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Yeah, never tried growing anything on your high desert plateau. It could be something as simple as the sand not holding the moisture, as you alluded to.

Regarding an earlier comment on tomatoes not yielding, over fertilizing can cause that. They need a bit to grow, but if over fertilized, they see little need to propagate.

Post Likes
    green basil (leaves without stems) - 30 g
    parsley (leaves without stems) - 10 g
    Parmesan - 40-50 g
    pine nuts - 40 g
    garlic - 2 cloves
    coarse sea salt - 2/3 tsp
    olive oil ex.vir. - 80-100 ml
    white wine vinegar (optional) - 1 tsp
    Everything in blender and it's ready!

Post Likes
    This is basically the recipe I always use except I use toasted walnuts and add fresh lemon juice.

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Oh man i just had flashbacks to when I was little eating pesto from the farmers market in Chico CA. The guy who made it went out of business eventually and I haven't had pesto that was worth its pine nuts since.
    I am definitely going to try this. My favorite way to eat it was with a spoon.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    I typically make at least one batch each summer, getting the new and freshest basil from the farmers market, didn't happen this last summer. Bummer. Have to be sure I crank out a batch this year!

As the season wears on, the basil is not as awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Oh man i just had flashbacks to when I was little eating pesto from the farmers market in Chico CA. The guy who made it went out of business eventually and I haven't had pesto that was worth its pine nuts since.
    I am definitely going to try this. My favorite way to eat it was with a spoon.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

16. Likes R600a liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in